Sitemap generation

Guest garysmith

Guest garysmith

Can anyone recommend a good sitemap generator to use with cubecart?

I am going to be doing some SEO this week and any advice on what to use or stay away from with sitemaps would be appreciated.

:(

I used the froogle generator, opened the file in excel and deleted everything but the product url column, saved it and submitted it to google as my sitemap. Seemed to have worked well :( I really just want my products to be indexed.

Guest garysmith

Thanks Roban. GsiteCrawler is doing its stuff as I type, seems very easy to use, I will keep an eye on results.

Thanks Mysty, that seems to be a novel approach, I need to do a bit of homework on froogle and I am keeping a note of your suggestion for future reference.

Cheers guys, I will have a beer for you both later!

Gary

hehehe yeah, I'm kinda Queen of the work-around ;) I usually figure out ways to make it work or do what I need and usually no one else ever thought of doing it that way :errm: I've always been good at making due with what I already have - handy since my budget sucks.

I tried a few of the free sitemap generators and google sitemaps kept giving me errors, tried the way above and no errors.

Good luck.

Guest garysmith

It allows the googlebot to crawl through your site to list your pages.

A good sitemap should help with getting more traffic to your site.

It allows the googlebot to crawl through your site to list your pages.

A good sitemap should help with getting more traffic to your site.

Also for php generated pages like cubecarts, it helps to give the search engines a better chance of finding all your products so more of your products will show in a search.

Guest valencia

I use a ror sitemap by rorweb. The problem I find with a eclusively googlebased sitemaps is that you put all your eggs in one basket.

Getting a ror sitemap makes it indexable by almost all search engines, not just google. I just switched to the SEO mod not long ago and with the sitemap, I have good indexing on my new pages in google.

The rorweb one i used, you simple go to the site, enter your url and it does it for you. Simply, copy, paste and save.

Guest garysmith

Thanks for the suggestion valencia. It certainly seems to be to most simple generator to use.

I do agree that people should not get obsessed with google to the point of ignoring all the others.

Thanks

Gary

That's right,

Not so long ago i was reading a magazine and that said that 60% of the internet users use google.

so the other 40% is from others (dôh)...

So erm... what ones do you all suggest ?

• 4 months later...

I use the help of www.xml-sitemaps.com. The sitemap is ready from 5 to 10 minutes. It's easy and free. Then I upload the file with extension .xls to the google sitemaps and that's it. I do that every month. Even the pages are dynamically generated the sitemap helps a lot. :(

What about to use automated sitemap file? You added it to Google once. Google does access this file every week (noticed) and it is always fresh without any manual work.

We use sitemap.xls filename for, no one knows it is a dynamic file generated within a second LOL.

BTW Yahoo accepts XML (sitemap.org standard) format yet.

• 8 months later...

What about to use automated sitemap file? You added it to Google once. Google does access this file every week (noticed) and it is always fresh without any manual work.

We use sitemap.xls filename for, no one knows it is a dynamic file generated within a second LOL.

BTW Yahoo accepts XML (sitemap.org standard) format yet.

Please tell more about "What about to use automated sitemap file?"

Mysty, are you saying that plain text list of URLs suffices, and all that XML formatting is fluff? If so, GREAT!

I had SirWm's and Toucan's smgens working on Cube3, neither work on Cube4. Toucan's gave me uncrawlable links which I fixed with global edit.

I have tried about 35 other gens, free and pay. Most don't filter (I can now do externally), or complete my 3000 products, or won't even START. The ones that scan from remote site are limited to about 500 links. Some keep looping for ever... AND bog down server.

GSiteCrawler by softplus is one of those that just sat there, looking superior, doing NOTHING. I got it to crawl once and only once, by un- and re- installing several times.

"AutoSitemap was previously a hosted Google sitemap generator" but does nothing, and owner has not responded.

enarion.net looks good, but only 14 links from first level, omitting the rest of 3000 products. One time it ran further, but filters were TOTALLY IGNORED.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/goog-sitemapgen/ is in python, and won't run on my site.

http://www.freefind.com/create-sitemap.html map & searcher -- ads say "free"

but details say $1000pa.

http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ free remote version limited to 500, $20 version on my server only gets 600 to 800 of my 3000, and I have yet to get my refund.

I have wasted many weeks trying others. I'd really welcome a good solution, if Mysty's somehow does not suffice.