MSN Butterfly and Registration problems for new customers?

Guest Koilagoon

Guest Koilagoon

We had a customer call us today and alert us that they couldn't checkout their products on our cart. I told him to go register an account with our cart but he couldn't find the "Register" button which appears normally at the top. He eventually let on that he used a different browser ("MSN Butterfly?"), but he saw this tab fine in FF or IE.

Does MSN Butterfly have some kind of conflicts with PHP at all that could cause this? He saw everything on the page just fine, except for that "Welcome Guest - Login | Register" prompt.

I'm afraid this might even be a reason we don't get as many sales as we might be capable of through CC.

Anyone else have this problem?

• 9 months later...

Ive just recently run into this problem as well as one of my CC clients uses MSN crappy Butterfly browser (Its IE but with a new skin and lots of ways for MSN to spy on you and your online habits)

the login and register links are simply removed...

the rest of the site displays completely perfect

almost all XP installs have MSN browser installed already but you have to go thru like 6 pages of setup to be able to use the browser

but any cubecart site ive done or know of when viewing in MSNs lobotomized browser the register and login links are removed how is this even poossible?

why would it remove it? they are jsut text links nothing else in the store(s) Ive checked is removed or edited by the browser so why our login and register links?

MSN needs to get a clue

and yes few people over all in the grand worldwide scheme of things actually use MSN's browser but there are actually of alot of people using it and this isssue needs to be resolved some how

Kinetic

Ive contacted MSn about this issue and here is what I sent

I develop e-commerce sites for my clients using a shopping cart system called cubecart. one of my clients is a MSN Internet subscriber and told me that on her new site using MSN Explorer the Register and Login links were not visible so I loaded up MSN explorer on my machine and sure enough any site using cubecart (PHP and Mysql based system) the Login and Register links were removed. nothing else on these sites were removed or messed up just the login and register links. simple text links just plain gone and display fine in IE 6 or 7 or in Firefox or safari. In MSN explorer? nope, nothing, nada... Can MSN explain to me so I can explain to my client why her internet service provider (MSN) and the MSN browser that she uses removes these links from cubecart based websites...

if you care to see this oddity in action please visit

http://www.xxxxxxxx.com using MSN explorer and then use IE 7 there should be a "Welcome! Would you like to: [Login or Register] ? Links at the very top of the page and will be visible in IE but not MSN explorer

Best Regards,

We will see what if anything MSN responds to me with and I will post their answer here for all to see

Kinetic

We will see what if anything MSN responds to me with and I will post their answer here for all to see

Thanks for the effort. If they deign to respond, I'll put money on a position that it's the fault of CC and they are doing this to help everyone.

When they launched that piece of crap some almost 5 years ago, they signaled the problems to come in an interview with the MS guy behind it . . .

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/feature...10-14msnqa.mspx

Note where he says, "The single most important inspiration behind the design, development and delivery of MSN 8 is Microsofts commitment to providing consumers with the most useful Internet experience possible."

MSN will decide for its users what is "the most useful Internet experience possible."

But the most insightful clue to the mindset behind it is the use of garbage language such as "impact" as a verb because he doesn't know the difference between "effect" or "affect" and the lack of apostrophes in words such as "wont" and "hes," etc.

Fortunately for the world, MS - and more specifically MSN Butterfly - hires based on arrogance and stupidity and contracts with advisers with no brains . . . per the following bungle:

NYC Tells MSN Butterfly To Clean Up and Fly Away

According to various press releases, they seem to have spent at least $800 million on promotion of this junk.

Well I got an actual reply from "Allan" at MSN and here it is and my response

Hello Steve,

Thank you for writing to the MSN Explorer Support Team. This is Allan and I understand that you develop e-commerce sites for your clients using a shopping cart system called cubecart. But the Register and Login links are not visible when you try to access them through MSN Explorer. I understand the importance of your concern and I will be glad to assist you.

Steve, this issue is usually caused by the high settings that you have in Internet Explorer (IE). In order to address this issue let us try to optimize Internet Explorer.

Before we proceed, let me first explain to you the significance of this process. Since IE is one of the major components of the MSN software, there are some MSN settings that are still dependent on it. If in case this was configured to high settings, several conflicts may occur within MSN Explorer. In order to avoid this from happening, we need to optimize IE.

1. Click ‘Start’, ‘Run’ then type: ‘iexplore’ (without apostrophes)

2. Click ‘Tools’, ‘Internet Options’

3. On the General tab, click

a. 'Delete' under Browsing history section

b. 'Delete all'

c. 'Yes'

4. Under Security, click ‘Internet’, ‘Default Level’, then ‘Apply’

5. Click ‘Privacy’, ‘Default’, then ‘Apply’

6. Under Advanced, click

a. ‘Restore advanced settings'

b. 'Restore Internet Explorer settings'

c. 'Apply' then 'OK'

If the issue remains, then please provide us with the exact version of MSN Explorer that you use. To determine the version, please follow these steps:

Option 1:

a. Open MSN and sign in.

b. Right-click on the MSN butterfly icon in the notification area or systems tray (near the clock).

c. Click on ‘System Information’ or ‘About MSN’.

d. The MSN software version is listed next to MSN Internet Access or MSN Client in the list of components.

Option 2:

a. Open MSN and sign in.

b. Click on ‘Help and Settings’.

c. Click on ‘About MSN’.

d. The MSN software version is listed in the upper portion.

Option 3:

a. Right click on the butterfly icon you see on your desktop.

b. Click on the ‘Properties’ button

c. Under the Shortcut tab, please click on ‘Find Target’

d. On the MSNCoreFiles window, locate ‘MSN6/MSN’ (without the quotations). A butterfly icon represents it.

e. Once found, please right click on it and then select on ‘Properties’.

f. On the MSN6/MSN Properties window, please click on the ‘Version’ tab.

g. The numbers across the ‘File Version’ is the MSN Software version installed in your computer.

h. Click on ‘Cancel’ to close the window.

We appreciate the opportunity of providing you assistance. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Allan

MSN Explorer Support

My reply:

Allan,

I have done as you directed and reset my Internet explorer settings to the default settings and visited several of my clients CubeCart based websites using MSN Explorer 7.02.0011.2700

and the issue STILL remains, the text links for CubeCart Login and Register are removed...

My Internet explorer settings were set to a medium level before I followed your directions and Internet explorer 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254 has no problems of this nature... the links REMAIN visible...

It is only MSN Explorer that has issues and serious ones at that because if a browser removes simple text links that allows my clients customers to login or register to their site(s) it interferes with these sites ability to do business and make sales. and as a result this could cost my clients money...

Again Ill repeat ONLY MSN explorer is having issues

IE 6, IE 7, Firefox 2.0.0.4, on my PCs and FireFox and Safari and IE 5.2 on my Macs have no issues and display these text links properly

Best Regards,

We shall see what "Allan"'s next reply is and as far as flaming and bashing MSN "Butterfly" it is pointless We all KNOW it is a POS browser but the fact of the matter is PEOPLE DO USE it and far more than you might think and if these people choose to use it and cannot access your clients or your own stores websites and be able to login or register which completely interferes with our customers being able to buy from us the issue is a serious one... so lets refrain from remarks that serve no purpose here and the purpose here IS for MSN to take note and make changes or we shall have to take more serious action as a group of business owners and web developers to ensure the ease of use of buying online via a cubecart based shopping cart website.

Kinetic

• 2 months later...

Well, this is an interesting old thread. I am glad my client found this thread, one of his customers is using some sort of an "msn ie" browser and experiencing this same issue.

If anyone here is still interested in this issue, I have a question: Can it be verified whether the sites that are experiencing these problems have rukiman's SEO mod installed?

There are two entries in spiders.txt:

msnbot

msn

I am going to try removing those from the client's site to see if it makes a difference. Of course, it won't help with msnsearch SEO, but perhaps it is causing this problem with sessions box :)

Another note: I could not actually find a download link for this browser to test it myself. Nothing straightforward in the way of a download link for MSN IE or MSN Butterfly

Just an update here ~

This problem was caused by SEO mod at my client's site. I have see similar things in the past due to SEO mod, so I will assume that EVERYONE in this thread has rukiman's SEO mod installed, until someone can verify otherwise.

I removed two entries from spiders.txt in the root of store:

msnbot

msn

After which, the so-called "butterfly browser" rendered the login info properly. Remember that SEO mod kills sessions for webbots and spiders, it is responsible for removing the login box for any browser which identifies itself in such a way that the mod presumes it is a spider.

Since I was unable to locate and download a "butterfly browser" I have been unable to fully test it and determine whether only one or the other, msnbot or msn, can be removed to make this work.

:)

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Ive got a validation customer who has the same problem with the w3c validator spider

because the spider is listed in the spiders.txt it wont validate the page (1 error) because of an empty ul

and the ul thats empty is the list that contains the login and register links

to the spider that ul is empty because of the session killing routine

remove the w3c validation spider from the spiders.txt and voila the page validates

the session killing routine shouldnt remove the links

but rather add a no follow

Ive looked thru rukis code for spider_flag and dont really understand whats happening that removes the 2 links but it is annoying as hell

Kinetic