Writing a book!

Guest Brivtech

Guest Brivtech

I'm starting to write a book about php/sql. It's something that I'll be writing over a substantial period of time, in my spare spare time (Which is almost non-existent at the moment).

I'd like to have several simple programming projects to follow that are of a good general use to people wanting to learn programming.

For instance, the first one that popped into my head would be a simple administration control panel, allowing someone to create a form that contains data fields that can be used on a website, like a basic content manager. Nothing special, but enough to demonstrate the programming and working of the system.

Any other ideas? I want to stay clear of pet shops! ;)

I'd even consider a chapter on how to make modifications to existing software code, using CubeCart as an example.

to leran people how to make something like an admin panel is a good idea, much better than a standard guestbook or something.

and let them be cureaus, would you read different codes and place them after eachother if you just can get the code from the back of the book ? i think most people do the last thing.

maybe it's a nice idea how to secure a website, that they are protected against XSS

Guest ohlavache

and let them be cureaus, would you read different codes and place them after eachother if you just can get the code from the back of the book ? i think most people do the last thing.

Yes, I agree that you should try to make people be curious and try to figure stuff out for themselves. This is my best experience of learning. However, I have often been frustrated when I was not too sure of how to answer a question. One idea that I think might be of use is to have a forum where people can search for info and post their answers and questions - like this one.

I am not too sure how you would make the book more "special" than the many that are around at the moment. I think an accessible writing style will help. Something different from the learn in 24 hour style of book. If you could teach me to code, I'd be willing to pay good money!

Im doing a Java degree at the moment and find the course work excellent.

Reason being that it expains the very basic structure before all the code and what it will do.

What I mean is things like:

The cardinality of sets,

Use of different brackets (), {}, []. Like tuples sequences and sets. etc. etc

Int, Char

Not realy seen many books that explain this sort of thing first.

Think its an excellent way of setting the scene before getting into the coding itself

Just a thought

Burgensteen

I'm starting to write a book about php/sql. It's something that I'll be writing over a substantial period of time, in my spare spare time (Which is almost non-existent at the moment).

I'd like to have several simple programming projects to follow that are of a good general use to people wanting to learn programming.

For instance, the first one that popped into my head would be a simple administration control panel, allowing someone to create a form that contains data fields that can be used on a website, like a basic content manager. Nothing special, but enough to demonstrate the programming and working of the system.

Any other ideas? I want to stay clear of pet shops! :lol:

I'd even consider a chapter on how to make modifications to existing software code, using CubeCart as an example.

Cool idea anyway. However much better to deomstrate form creating is Contact Us page. If I were you i did it as first. Any administration samples are good in section "secure php and sql code" section. :rolly:

Guest Brivtech

Some very good and inspiring points everyone.

I especially like the idea of securing php/SQL - I've come across many books that say things like : "There's a more secure way of doing this, but we won't go into detail at the moment.". I'm fairly sure if those principals can be taught from the beginning in a clear to understand way, then those programmers would benefit from it.

Forum idea linked to the book is certainly good as well. I agree that there's been times where I've encountered problems because of something I haven't sufficiently understood, and it's ground me to a halt, with no-one to help.

Good idea also of getting syntax and the like right before starting like use of brackets. I considered syntax as important from the beginning, Many books start you off with examples that you literally copy and paste, and have no idea why, then when you try and do something more complicated, you can't understand why you haven't spotted a missing semicolon, or something else.

Contact us page eh! :lol: I just wrote one for a website I'm finishing, I could use that immediately. Good example indeed, because this sets up some basic form handling, and would be nice to introduce emailing. Subsequently, it could be modified so that the contact information could be archived into a database, accessed later through the ACP.

I'm liking it all a lot! :rolly: