Home Wireless Network

The main PC that connects to the ADSL will require a wireless ADSL router and Internet Connection Sharing and the Laptop will require a wireless PCMCIA card so that the two can talk to each other.

If you have WinXP on both systems, setting up a home network is quite simple...

Just insert your WinXP disc where you can run the setup from there... I think it is in the main menu when the CD auto boots...

Select "Perform Additional Tasks"

Select "Setup a Home or Small office network"

Follow the instructions, create a floppy which you use to install the settings on each additional PC, do as it says, reboot all PC's and that should be it.

You may have to allow the home LAN to connect to the internet thru your Firewall... and then after many hours of pilling your hair out, shouting and swearing... you should be able to connect to the internet/LAN

It can be a bugger at times.... so Google your problems or use this URL:

http://www.homenethelp.com/

If ya get stuck give me a shout!

Good luck!

Guest broady

No disrespect Mini Me, but it seems a bit of a dissicult way of going around setting up a home network if brooky is just wanting to share the adsl connection...

Brooky, if you have a wireless router, when you set it up, most come with a wizard. Make sure that it is set to work as a DHCP server.

Boot your computers up and set them to obtain an ip address automatically and bobs your mothers brother.

Basically, the DHCP sends the info to your PC's telling it an IP address and a Gateway. This is all that is needed.

Saves a lot of messing around. although if you are wanting to share files/printers etc use MiniMe's route.

Paul

Thanks broady... I was unaware that they came with a setup disk...

Just incase they dont WinXP does create one for you, but yes it is a bit protracted!

M

Guest broady

Not so much a setup disk,

they usually have a built in webserver that allows you to configure the router. (Netgear & Vigor do anyway)

Basically, the router works as a DHCP server, assigning IP address's gateways and NAT.

SO all you need to do is plug in or get a wifi connection to it and it auto configures your ip and then the routr handles all the traffic.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Guest broady

Brooky,

you got a good router... Tight b*stard tho, all the money your making i thought you would have gone the model up LOL.

Hope you got it all working mate.

Paul

Hello All,

Just to piggyback on this post: what do you think/feel about installing the software that comes from your DSL company? I found more problems were created when I attempted to use it. I have three computers and 2 printers on the same network and I removed all the software from my company (Verizon in CA, USA) and I have not had a single problem in 3 years. Anyone here champion the use of the software for Brooky? I say don't use it! What do you all think? ;)

Guest broady

Hello All,

Just to piggyback on this post: what do you think/feel about installing the software that comes from your DSL company? I found more problems were created when I attempted to use it. I have three computers and 2 printers on the same network and I removed all the software from my company (Verizon in CA, USA) and I have not had a single problem in 3 years. Anyone here champion the use of the software for Brooky? I say don't use it! What do you all think? ;)

I'm a little confused!

AFAIK, you do not need the software from your ISP if connected via a router, or dial up for that matter, I have come across some instances of AOL not working on a dsl modem due to the AOL adapter no being installed!

The only thing I have found to cause problems is the MTU size, usually defaulted to something like 1458 in the uk (not sureabout US) and have to lower that sometimes (usually with aol)

Anyway, just my 2 pence worth!

Paul

Brooky,

have a look for the Netgear DG834 or a vigor 2100+ both have dsl modems installed.

I have the Netgear and it works sweet with Win32/Linux & Xbox!!!!

(Told you, you were tight! lol the router above is the model above! :) )

Have a look here http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/m...?quicklinx=2VCD

Hope it helps.

Paul

Hi Broady how funny thats the exact Netgear model I ordered!!

Yipiee.

Guest broady

You laughing then mate,

takes about 5 minutes to set up and is very secure.

Also has the ability to use dynamic DNS if you dont get a static ip address from your ISP.

Let us know how you get on, if you need any help just give us a shout.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
Guest OSKicks

Brooky how long did it take you to make cube cart ground up, did you have any help, jus wondering, but geese a dial up connection haven;t had one of those for 4 years, Josh