Office Back Up Solutions

Al Brookbanks

Guest EverythingWeb

3Ware RAID controller in the cubecart.com server, yeah :wacko:

There is conflict with Dell/Linux/Software raid so hardware is best in this case :innocent:

*Edit* - Yes it is. :wacko: 2 x 80GB Sata 7,200rpm. They are from different manufacturers though.

If you can get 2 identical disks, an 80-100G disk is pretty cheap now so might even be worth stumping up for 2 new faster/bigger disks for this, it's more preferable than a pick and mix. You can get wierd errors with mismatched disks on RAID. :innocent:

3ware makes the best hardware raid controllers I've ever used quite honestly. I've been using them since 1999 and have never had one crash.

But RAID 0 is NOT what you want. RAID 0 is striping to share the data across two drives. There is NO protection in a RAID 0 configuration. RAID 1 on the other hand is simple mirroring.

The easy way to remember the difference is that RAID 0 has ZERO data protection. RAID 0 is simply used to expand available space across multiple smaller drives.

My absolute favorite is hardware RAID 5+1 which is a set of drives in a RAID 5 array with a 2nd array backing the first up. Unfortunately, that requires a minimum of 6 drives to implement. :innocent:

Our big Black Friday sales here this week will have 1GB thumb drives on sale for under $14 USD. Same price for Secure Digital cards. For that price, I'm going to buy 2 or 3 of them for backing up my stuff here. I can store every piece of code I've ever written easily on a 1GB thumb drive. Then I just toss it in the car's glove box and don't worry about it. :wacko: