Some theme work based on Killer

Guest charleyramm

Guest charleyramm

http://www.thewifishop.net/index.php

I have spent some time since my last post in this forum learning how to really get a bit more down and dirty in modifying the cubecart default themes. My graphics/artistic skills are pretty low, but I have had a good try and I'm happy with the result.

Can anybody give me some tips on where to go from here? Does something stick out at you that I should try to improve on?

Also, I'm after criticism on my 'welcome' text, site pages and product descriptions.

I lost some work recently through ignoring the cubecart upgrade instructions and trying to do too much at once, so some product descriptions are not really up to scratch, but fire away. I want all the help I can get.

:rolleyes:

You've got a good start now it's time to keep going. The site is sparse and that's a good thing because you have room for some things like text and images.

I question your putting that huge credit card logo in there. It has become the main focus of the page and unless you are selling Pay Pal and credit cards I suggest you use something smaller and placed in a more inconspicuous place. Google images is a great place to look for one.

You keywords are sparse as well and need to be added to. Use the Overture Keyword Selector tool for this.

Your About Us page looks more like a Buy From Us page. Get down and personal with this page, it's important. Customers are going to want to know who they are dealing with so tell them in this page. Put an address (not a PO Box) and phone number in here as well. This can help in instilling confidence in your company. The more text in these pages the better. Don't be skimpy here.

The site doesn't look professional yet. It looks hastily put together. Take your time and do some work every day. If this were a brick and mortar store you would be re-arranging the shelves, adding new stock, placing new ads, etc. An on line store is no different and takes the same kind of attention. You are in a highly competitive market and you have to at least stay head to head with your competition so find out what they are doing and then do the same or better yet, one better.

Guest Ausgirl

Hello there, I have not had CC long, I am a newbie myself. I have come along way in this short time thanks to Antz and Convict and Roban. I to have the killer skin. You can check out my store at shoppinginurpjs

You could do with a logo on the top. Maybe a background even, something light and elegant that represents what you are selling.

roban: Question your putting that huge credit card logo in there. It has become the main focus of the page and unless you are selling Pay Pal and credit cards I suggest you use something smaller and placed in a more inconspicuous place. Google images is a great place to look for one.

This true, you should delete it from your home page as it is already on your payment page. You could even put it on the payment option page during checkout if you wanted to.

If you would like any help you can PM me.

Hey Ausgirl. Took a look at your site and something is slowing down the load on the pages a lot. Might be that countdown thing.

Your center column could use some layout help too. It really looks amateurish as it is - perhaps some alignment issues.

Also there is a LOT of space between your "latest product" columns - looks wasted. If you are going to space them that far, make your thumbnails bigger to fill in.

And you definitely need a logo at the top! Didn't get the name of your site at all at first - a cute graphic up top would certainly help make it more recognizeable and memorable.

Guest Ausgirl

Hello Mysty

I used to have a logo at the top but it disappeared :) when I put the background in. It really looks amateurish as it is! I am an amater :P , Ive only had cube cart for 4 weeks. Given that I know nothing about HTML or anything else about design, and not understanding what half the langage means. I think I have done well. It is all trial and error and Im still learning. Sure there are a few things wrong but most these things Ive no clue on how to fix them. Why not post, you may be thinking? I do post and most times my questions go unanswered so I need to figure it out for myself. Its the java that makes it slow.

Anything else you think my site may needs along with instructions on how to fix the problems, Im up for hearing about it, I have a list that I add to such as the things you stated. I will eventually get round to it. It wont happen over night but it will happen. :)

I was going to post a show off so people could tell me what was wrong with it as Im sure people are full of idea's that Ive not even thought of or noticed, so thank you for your comments. They are appreciated. If you would like to post more comments, feel free. That way I can thank every one here when my site is eventually perfect!

For the now, I would like to say Thank You to all those that have already helped me get this far. Thanks All!