phpNuke or other systems?

In addition to my stores, I used to have an info site that used phpNuke. Problem is, the thing was hacked like 3 times in one year - this last time, they really did a job on the database and I lost about 4 years worth of articles and data (yes, I know, I should have had a backup ... thought I did but cannot find it so that's another issue!)

I'm looking to relauch the site but wondered if anyone has experience/suggestions for a free content management thing like phpNuke but that is more secure??? My hosts offer all the ones below, but since I don't have any experience with them, I don't know what to try. So thought I'd ask in my favorite, most trusted community and see if you all have recommendations :) Basically the sections I want are forums, articles, event calendar, chat, reviews, and links (probably more, but these are the basics) with a membership section so members can contribute.

Drupal

Geeklog

Joomla

Mambo Open Source

PHP-Nuke

phpWCMS

phpWebSite

Post-Nuke

Siteframe

TYPO3

Xoops

So ideas???

Thanks in advance.

I've used PHP-Nuke, Postnuke, MD-Pro, and several others, although Joomla and Mambo were not in the list. The best that I've used has been Drupal.

It's stable, secure, and VERY extensible. And if you know anything about PHP, you can make it sit up and do tricks. I loved the way you can define exactly what the URLs can be for each individual page on the site.

It takes a little getting used to, as the concepts used are a little "non-standard", but then again, all CMSs are different enough from each other that they all take a little getting used to.

I played with a bunch of them and just started using Etomite ( http://www.etomite.org/ ) and am very happy with it so far.

My biggest complaint with most of the CMS is that they had too much crap in them to start with. You wound up spending a while turning off all the junk you didn't need. I wanted something reasonably basic that my customers could use to add/edit content on their sites but that still had some power and flexibility under the hood for me as a designer/programmer. Etomite has fit the bill so far.

:)

I feel your pain. I had used PHPNuke a number of years ago as well. Only to discover that you can't keep the hackers away, no matter how hard you try to keep up with the patches. The problem with these OpenSource (GPL), CMS solutions is that they are all full of holes and the more popular they are, the more they become a target.

Saying that I'm using Joomla on a couple of sites and have been satisfied so far with the results.

The best however costs and I've discoverd a combination of vBulletin and vBadvanced to work out the best; specially if your looking for forum use.

Thanks guys. I'm giving Joomla a whirl at the moment - like it so far, though haven't figured out how to add components to it yet. Was too tired last night and the directions were sounding like Greek :P Going to try later when I'm more awake :(

Haven't played much with the layout yet either, but at least it's working again. It's wiccawisdom.com if anyone wants to watch it's progress/comment :blink:

Going to check out etomite too - sounds interesting.

I usually just do sites in Netobjects Fusion, but I wanted a community-type site for WW and definitely nuke isn't secure :P

Thanks again for the suggestions!

I played with a bunch of them and just started using Etomite ( http://www.etomite.org/ ) and am very happy with it so far.

My biggest complaint with most of the CMS is that they had too much crap in them to start with. You wound up spending a while turning off all the junk you didn't need. I wanted something reasonably basic that my customers could use to add/edit content on their sites but that still had some power and flexibility under the hood for me as a designer/programmer. Etomite has fit the bill so far.

:(

etomite is a great CMS system but i prefure Modx (http://www.modxcms.com) it is built off etomite but is ever expanded and much more powerful...

I use modx for cezz.co.uk and mentor-tech.co.uk...