Tell a Friend With Captcha image

Guest vrakas

Some of us do not have the latest version of CC installed and would like to have the "Tell a Friend" with the captcha image on our site.

It seems that our hosting company is complaining that spam are been sent through the tell a friend and we need to upgrade / alter this or they will suspend the specific account.

Could someone provide a list with the files needed to be replaced, added and altered in order to have the latest version installed?

@Al, i think this is needed for a lot of us CC users.

Thanks.

I will also submit a ticket for this matter and any solution i get, will post it here.

Some of us do not have the latest version of CC installed

I would if i had the latest version installed or even the 3.0.13 ;)

Al will provide some usefull info very soon :(

@vBviet Store

Please could you alter your signature, the rules do not allow any direct links to 3rd party mods.

.org is the correct place to advert.

Thank you

This can be done by comparing changelogs for the versions; as many of you already know, Al has begun providing a changelog for each new version some time ago. In the changelogs you may see which new files were added and which old files were altered regarding this ;)

It is a good idea to either fully upgrade the store(s) or manually apply all security patches via changelog to prevent spam use or other serious hacking of your stores.

Thanks Markscarts, i am allready doing the changes but you know what a hassle it can be and especially when its not only one site :(

I guess we have to start from somewhere ;)

@Stevie68

if you use 3.0.13 or later this problem is fixed as far as i know.

An upgrade to this only, is what we are waiting for at the moment.

For all of you that want to disable the Tell a Friend, here is a way to remove it.

This was provided to me by EverythingWeb until Al gives us another solution.

In index.php you comment out the following lines:

case "taf":

include("includes/content/tellafriend.inc.php");

$body->assign("PAGE_CONTENT",$page_content);

break;

You can alter it if you want to go to another page such as the home page instead of disabling it ;)

Also you can remove/rename in the includes/content/tellafriend.inc.php to be on the safest side.

Attention: Remember to always backup before proceeding with any mods.

I'm a little confused here. I upgraded my CC to 3.0.14, which according to what I understand from the above should have the captcha image for the tell-a-friend feature, but it does not.

BTW - I upgraded by uploading the new files and re-installing the mods I had.

Also, I don't see any settings in the admin area for flood control. Where should I be able to find this?

Does 3.0.14 have the captcha codes, and if so, what could have caused it to go missing in my installation?

Cancel that last post, I found my error.

I had over-written the 3.0.14 language file with my old one, and the flood protection setting didn't have a label on it, so I missed it. Setting that to Yes enables the captcha image.

Cool offering this to older stores in "mod" form, good work B)

It is indeed, specially when it is for FREE as its something allready standard in the latest versions of CC ;)

Al, Thanks again, works perfectly :)

No problem guys/gals. You have to remember that CubeCart is evolving and it is becomeing more and more secure. I have learned vast amounts since 3.0.0. The aim is to release the next major release in a state that it will only even need bug fixes. Not large mods to improve security.

Hopefully your lives will be far easier as a result. Thanks for all your support. ;) Without you the next release wouldn't be possible.

• 2 months later...

I am new to Cubecart, using 3.0.15, for "tell a friend", even i tick "yes" in admin panel, i did not see Spambot, even worse, the message could not be sent to "friend" at all...

I searched all and viewed related posts for this, could not find answer. What else should I check for this?

Thanks!!

I am new to Cubecart, using 3.0.15, for "tell a friend", even i tick "yes" in admin panel, i did not see Spambot, even worse, the message could not be sent to "friend" at all...

I searched all and viewed related posts for this, could not find answer. What else should I check for this?

Thanks!!

after posting this, I tried to change skin to classic, killer and legend, 'tell a friend" function works well in all of those skins. I download a skin from another site with the looking I like, i guess i have to change something in the new skin to let the function work?

Thanks!

I fixed it by copying "tell a friend" tpl in "classic" skin to the new skin. that's all.

Hope this would be useful for other newbies :huh:

but there is still a question re. the language, when I tried to send the tell a friend to myself, I found the Chinese characters can not be displayed in the e-mail what ever encoding method I use.

• 4 weeks later...