Processing means?

So in my clients admin panel for orders

one says Processing

the orders time and date is

Oct 14 2006, 21:01 PM

its now jan 2007. A few hrs ago i change the paypal IPN address because the oroginal account with paypal is closed.

What exactly does the PROCESSING mean at this point?

and

do i need to manuallychange status or contact the customer?

CubeCart sets an order to status "Processing" after a payment has been successfully completed. Before that point, the order is "Pending".

For most people, "Processing" means that an order has been paid for, but not shipped out. When you do your order fulfillment and ship out the product(s) purchased, part of your procedure should be to manually set the status of the order to "Completed" to signify that the order has been shipped. When you do this, you have the option to notify the customer that the order has been shipped with a simple click of a checkbox.

If, like me, your store deals with digital products that are downloaded, you can install a mod that automatically changes the order status to "Completed" when the customer downloads all the products in the order. You can find this mod on the cubecart.org site.

If the order is pending my stock levels show availability even though i may only have that particular product, therefore someone else can place another order with the same product to which i don't have anymore off.

If i set it to processing; then the stock levels go down and will show 0 of that product so no-one else is able to add to their cart.

How would you go about this? When someone places an order on a product that there is no more off - i don't want someone else to purchase this because i won't be able to supply.

Any ideas/suggestions.

Please

Thanks

Andrea

I think there is a mod over at the .org site that will change that behavior for you.

But also consider the situation where someone places an order for an item, but decides to abandon that order and never pay for it. If you have a customer coming right behind them ready, willing, and able to pay for it, you'd lose out on that sale if the stock is decreased after the first 'customer' placed their order.

I think I'd rather have the situation where 2 customers pay for an item and I have to refund the second one rather than the situation where an item is not sold due to stock issues.

True Alan, though considering i'm just starting out - i'd hate to be in a position where i have to email the customer to tell them i don't have the stock and have to refund the money.

There must be some other way though.....

Thanks

Regards,

Antz

I think there is a mod over at the .org site that will change that behavior for you.

But also consider the situation where someone places an order for an item, but decides to abandon that order and never pay for it. If you have a customer coming right behind them ready, willing, and able to pay for it, you'd lose out on that sale if the stock is decreased after the first 'customer' placed their order.

I think I'd rather have the situation where 2 customers pay for an item and I have to refund the second one rather than the situation where an item is not sold due to stock issues.

True Alan, though considering i'm just starting out - i'd hate to be in a position where i have to email the customer to tell them i don't have the stock and have to refund the money.

There must be some other way though.....

Yes there is a 'middle way' - time limited stock change. If customer who bought something stoc is decreased but never paid within 48hrs order is deleted, stock increased :)