Store emails filtered as bulk or spam...

splinter79

Hi -

I'm new to CubeCart but I have been toying around with it lately for a project I am working on and I have had past experiences with OSCommerce, X-Cart, Zen Cart and a few others but still have never found an 'ideal' e-commerce system. I like the ease of modification and simplicity of CubeCart and I would love to be able to use this for all my stores someday, although I have one issue...

While testing, I found that emails sent through the store tend to go into the bulk email folder for email account providers such as Yahoo. A lot of people use these free email accounts so I consider this a fairly big issue because many ignore their "Bulk" folder. I am using SMTP for sending email so it doesn't make sense that they are getting filtered as bulk unless there is something in the header of the emails triggering this filter. Does anybody have a fix for this or can you point me to the file I can edit to possibly fix this problem?

Thanks!

Shawn

The subject doesn't seem to matter, at least not for Yahoo email. Tried your suggestion and a few other things, still goes to right to bulk mail....seems like there's got to be a way around Yahoo's bulk mail filter. The scary thing is Yahoo has an option to automatically delete bulk mail, so customers would never get any store messages. Any other suggestions?

Shawn

Guest CheapScotsman

There are a bunch of things that could be causing your emails to go into the junk mail folder (blacklists, no SPF record, no reverse DNS record, incorrect MX record, etc) ... have you check all of these? Is your site hosted or done some other way? Have you tried sending email through the same email system but using a different client?

here are some articles on how some people detect "spam". If you address the issues raise then you have a better chance of NOT being laballed as such:

http://nemesis.lonestar.org/site/mail_trouble.html

http://www.gmpservices.com/Articles/68/7.E....A.Trickle.aspx

Yahoo has some guidlines for ensuring your mail MIGHT make it past their spamblockers. See the bottom of this article http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/spam/#spamguard

Thanks for the suggestions Scotsman, but still having no luck.

I sent an email to a Yahoo account using the same email address with Outlook, and it went to the Inbox. When an email is sent to the same Yahoo account through CubeCart, it goes to the Bulk Mail folder. Bulk Mail filter settings are set to Yahoo's default. I'm stumped on this one, but I will continue to work on this and report back if I find anything. I really think something is going in the header on those emails that's triggering their spam filter, I just don't know what...

I think I figured it out - Yahoo is filtering mail from my hosting IP (which is my own IP, not shared) as bulk for whatever reason, however when sending through Outlook the originating IP is different because it goes through Comcast, and therefore it is not filtered. I will contact my web host on this but FYI everybody else should check theirs by test ordering with a Yahoo email account.

Guest CheapScotsman

I think I figured it out - Yahoo is filtering mail from my hosting IP (which is my own IP, not shared) as bulk for whatever reason, however when sending through Outlook the originating IP is different because it goes through Comcast, and therefore it is not filtered. I will contact my web host on this but FYI everybody else should check theirs by test ordering with a Yahoo email account.

See the bold part above. If you are saying that you have a static IP from a webhosting company but you are running a cubecart server on it along with an SMTP server THEN ... yep, its a good likely that you are being labelled as SPAM. Here is why, the reverse DNS lookup on your static IP is giving your webhost ... while the hostname in your SMTP connection to yahoo is your domain name. Since they don't match, you are spam ... check out the weblinks I mentioned above. If you follow their advice then you have a much higher chance of NOT being labelled SPAM

The other option is that your webhost company is blacklisted. You can check SPAMHAUS.org and a few others and see if your IP and/or webhost domain and/or your domain are on these lists. If they are, you need to work to get them off.