No credit card payments possible from certain countries

Guest typopunk

Guest typopunk

Hi everyone,

I have some questions concerning credit card payments via the Paypal gateways:

Current situation:

At the moment the shop uses Paypal IPN and this is working fine for most cases - credit card and Paypal payments are accepted just as expected (premier account).

The problem:

Recently a customer reported that he is not able to use his credit card as his country (Bulgaria) is not listed in Paypal's payment form. What can be done? I read that using "Direct Payment/Express Checkout" instead of IPN might solve this issue. Is this correct?

If so what needs to be done and/or is required?

It seems that an additional Paypal fee of $20.00 USD monthly for that PRO service needs to be charged, yes? Is SSL required (the shop can use a shared certificate but I'd prefer that only Paypal holds the credit card data)? Is there a handy tutorial out there how to set up "Direct Payment/Express Checkout"?

Or do you suggest to better use a different service to handle these credit card payments? You see: A number of questions... Your ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Guest dennis0160

Hi everyone,

I have some questions concerning credit card payments via the Paypal gateways:

Current situation:

At the moment the shop uses Paypal IPN and this is working fine for most cases - credit card and Paypal payments are accepted just as expected (premier account).

The problem:

Recently a customer reported that he is not able to use his credit card as his country (Bulgaria) is not listed in Paypal's payment form. What can be done? I read that using "Direct Payment/Express Checkout" instead of IPN might solve this issue. Is this correct?

If so what needs to be done and/or is required?

It seems that an additional Paypal fee of $20.00 USD monthly for that PRO service needs to be charged, yes? Is SSL required (the shop can use a shared certificate but I'd prefer that only Paypal holds the credit card data)? Is there a handy tutorial out there how to set up "Direct Payment/Express Checkout"?

Or do you suggest to better use a different service to handle these credit card payments? You see: A number of questions... Your ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

It is worth the 20 a month and it doesn't take long to set up paypal takes you step by step but to save time forget the sandbox crap it is a waset of time, and what is nice about direct payment you stay on your own site and you do not need ssl cert.

Guest typopunk

Thanks for the reply. So the setup won't be a problem. Now it needs to be checked out if the additional 20$ fee will be worth it in the end as most orders can already be handled with the IPN gateway. Time will tell... Thanks again. :sourcerer:

... what is nice about direct payment you stay on your own site and you do not need ssl cert.

Good to know any credit card data from customer browser going to your site unecrypted :D

Can you post IP of your site? :wacko:

Well it is strongly recomended to use SSL if any form used to fill sensitive data redides at YOUR site. PayPal Standrad, IPN nad Express Checkout is good, you dont need to have SSL because of a fact customer is writting all the data at PAYPAL site which use SSL connection.

Guest Brivtech

... but their personal information and order details are still exposed, so therefore, SSL is recommended. Shop around, they're not that expensive, and give your customers peace of mind.