Windows Vista

Al Brookbanks

That Vista screen showing a diagonal stack of photos is being printed everywhere!

Will be interested to see what it's like.

I very much doubt it'll turn me away from the Mac though. ;)

(Leopard's due out April/May I believe... now that's something I'm looking forward to... )

... must get a Mac for the office... :)

Just for the office! lol

I use XP at work but prefer OS X at home. I suspect it'll be closer to the summer before 10.5 is unleashed!

And then their is the iPhone! ;)

Guest paulabakerparkin

You know what, I'm still yet to use a Mac, even though I use my computer for an awful lot of graphical artwork, but I've always stuck to what I know best!

Having said that, I would love to upgrade to Windows Vista, as I'm sick to death with XP, but I can't really justifiy the expensive, especially when I am in two minds whether to buy the Wacom Cintiq 21UX tablet. I test drove my uncles yesterday and it is something else!

You know what, I'm still yet to use a Mac, even though I use my computer for an awful lot of graphical artwork, but I've always stuck to what I know best!

I had always use Windows until October 2006 when I converted... and how happy am I!

I doubt I will ever go back to XP. Yes I've had to find alternatives to software but what I've found has often been better (but I accept not in all cases).

However, the delight in using OS X compared to XP ;)

Guest paulabakerparkin

I had always use Windows until October 2006 when I converted... and how happy am I!

I doubt I will ever go back to XP. Yes I've had to find alternatives to software but what I've found has often been better (but I accept not in all cases).

However, the delight in using OS X compared to XP ;)

So what makes it so different?

I just installed Vista Ultimate on a test machine. It's pretty impressive although no reason to upgrade from XP for me. I need to get a handle on it when my customers call for support. I'm assuming it'll ship with most new PC's at least as an option. I ended up turning off all the security extras. I have it installed on an 880MHZ box with only 512 MBRAM and it works fine. The only issue I have so far is the drivers. It's going to take a few months for the software manufacturers to catch up. My Voodoo card can't handle the screen savers but other than that...no problems.

Yes the speed of doing things is significantly quicker. I have also yet to find one instance of a bit of software crashing on me.

Aesthetically it's just in a different league to XP and it's a delight to work on an nicely designed Apple instead of a lovely box of a PC.

I also don't have the same worries about viruses, etc that I had on windows.

I find it far friendlier and easy to use.

Yes, all the things Subten said.

Plus... and this is gonna sound really cheesy... but for me there's just something about the "experience" of using a Mac that I prefer. It goes beyond the fact that it's aesthetically pretty. Apple really seem to have put a lot of thought into the way the operating system, well, operates! Probably really tiny things that you don't even consciously notice, like how forgiving the margin of error is when you click from a menu to a submenu - loads of little things like that, which somehow all add up to make the user experience that much smoother. ALso they've traditionally been much more consistent with their style guidelines in a way that Windows hasn't, so various tasks are more intuitive.

But yeah, looks-wise, OSX kicks a$$ too (and that's to say nothing of the hardware!) I remember when XP came out, it was clear MS was trying to copy Apple, but whereas, say, Apple's titlebar gradients were subtle and elegant, Windows used nasty stark ones - kind of like letting a kid loose with Photoshop for the first time, and they go overboard with all the effects!

(Sorry, I should stop this now, this thread's supposed to be about Vista! ;) )

Guest dudestore

I just installed Vista Ultimate on a test machine. It's pretty impressive although no reason to upgrade from XP for me. I need to get a handle on it when my customers call for support. I'm assuming it'll ship with most new PC's at least as an option. I ended up turning off all the security extras. I have it installed on an 880MHZ box with only 512 MBRAM and it works fine. The only issue I have so far is the drivers. It's going to take a few months for the software manufacturers to catch up. My Voodoo card can't handle the screen savers but other than that...no problems.

I thought Vista only works on 1GB+ RAM?

http://www.cnet.com/4520-33_1-6671810-1.html - CNET Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor.

My impression was that you really needed 1GB RAM to get the full benefits of Vista.

However, to get the full benefits of a great OS you need to be running Tiger! :D

Guest Brivtech

Well mine has 1.75 GB as dell shiped it with 4 x 256MB :D

RAM useage is averaging about 50% with email cleint and dreamweaver running.

That maths doesn't add up! 4 X 256mb = 1gb!

I wouldn't have any problem regarding the PC specs, especially with 2GB RAM, however, I like my Windows XP, my system rarely crashes, and all my software is compatible. Besides, I have 6 computers here, all on Win XP, apart from one that we keep on Win 98, again for software compatibility reasons.

This is something that worries me with Vista - Will we start to see software incompatibility?

I'll wait until Microsoft release Service pack 3 for Vista before I even contemplate upgrading.

I bought a new laptop a few days ago for my OU programming degree with the 'upgrade package to Vista' and as yet have not managed to get the upgrade ??????????????????. They seem to be trying very hard not to give it out !!!!

Will let you know more if and when I get the upgrade. :):)

Burgensteen

I bought a new laptop a few days ago for my OU programming degree with the 'upgrade package to Vista'

Is this a Dell? We haven't got our Dell upgrade disk yet either for the machine we bought just before xmas. It will come in time I'm sure and it will give win a chance to get some updates out. I think 12 are scheduled for Wednesday 14th.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a Dell, but looks like I finaly got the order in.

Like you say Al, I am in no real rush for it to come through (as long as it does eventualy) some bugs can be ironed out in the meantime. Having said that I have not heard anything bad about Vista yet !!!!! unless others know otherwise ??

Burgensteen

Guest dudestore

Having said that I have not heard anything bad about Vista yet !!!!! unless others know otherwise ??

News came out that hackers already cracked Vista and selling (the cracked version) it for $5 or something on the net. Not sure exactly what part of Vista they cracked but they said Vista was quite not fully secured as Microsoft claimed.