Meta tags!!!!!

Hi it's me again, asking questions about issues I'm having with my site and again forgive me I'm still learning... Here's my question already lol

Q: I have an idea of what Meta tags are and I know I don't have any and if I do they suck... where do I put them? I've run into problems with search engines writing me saying I need to add meta tags to my site but How and where?????!!!! I'm assuming that I need to open a file in my control panel and add them in a precise fashion or it will lead to very very bad things. AHHHHHH!!! How do I go about that? And when you add Meta tags to the file (I'm sure your giggling lol forgive my lack of lingo) do you add a description of your site and list what’s on it? whats the best way to go about doing it??? Can someone give me an example? Pleassssse help!!!!!

Maybe my question wasn't detailed enough? Sorry I'm not great with how to word computer realated questions

Can anyone tell me more about meta tags?

Can anyone tell me where to place them?

Maybe you need to see my site to answer my question? (If so please PM me)

Please let me know

Thanks

Elizabeth.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my META tags. I will break them down in a moment.

<html>

<head>

<title>Spechal dot Com Web Site Development and Design for less from Kansas City.</title>

<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="Kansas City Web Development, Spechal Developments, Spechal, Travis Crowder, PHP Web Design, Web Development, Cheap Web Site, Kansas City Web Site Design, MySQL Database Design">

<META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Kansas City Web Design by Spechal Developments. Spechal Developments offers affordable website design while keeping development time low.">

<META NAME="Author" CONTENT="[email protected]">

<meta name="robots" content="index, follow">

</head>

Alrighty. META tags are ALWAYS placed the the < head > tags. Usually right after the opening < head > tag. Never in the body or after the head tags, always after the html and head tags.

Title: Well...That's the title of your page and also what the search engine is going to show your link as.

Keywords: Words or phrase that you think people would search for (not really used anymore)

Description: That's what the search engines going to show as a description for your website.

Author: Who made it.

Robots: Tells the search engine to index the page or not (noindex) also letting it know if it should follow the links in the page to index others or not (nofollow).

There are others (i.e. Revisit After, Cache-Control, Distribution, etc...) but that's really all you need.

Hope that helps.

• 4 months later...
Guest qdpie.com

Here is a little something to put into your header.inc.php that will add keywords to your meta tags. It searches the database for every product and category, then compares each word to make sure there are no duplicate entries, then prints them out into the meta tag. Any other tags, you will have to add in yourself.

File to alter header.inc.php

Around Line 35

After this

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<HTML>

<head>

<title><?php echo "$site_name  "; include("title.php");?></title>

<meta http-equiv='Content-Type' content='text/html; charset=iso-8859-1'>

Add this

<?

$get_categories = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM ".$prefix."store_category");

$meta_products[] = "";

echo"<meta name=\"keywords\" content=\"";

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($get_categories)) {

$category = $row['category'];

$category = explode(" " , $category);

$count = count($category);

// echo"count = $count --- category = $category[1] --- meta products = $meta_products[1] \n";

$x = 0;

while($x < $count) {

if(in_array($category[$x], $meta_products)) {

break;

}else{

$meta_products[] = $category[$x];

$x ++;

}

}

}

$get_products = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM ".$prefix."store_inventory");

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($get_products)) {

$products = $row['title'];

$products = explode(" " , $products);

$count = count($products);

$x = 0;

while($x < $count) {

if(in_array($product[$x], $meta_products)) {

break;

}else{

$meta_products[] = $products[$x];

$x ++;

}

}

}

foreach($meta_products as $products) {

echo"$products ";

}

echo"\">\n\n";

?>

The end results looks something like this.

<meta name="keywords" content="Cube Cart Mods Major Minor Install and Support Request Free Fix-N-Upgrade Upcoming Individual Shipping Price Affiliate Mod Multiple Administrators Group Options Downloadable Product Three Four Bottom Message Single Double Coupon My Modded Store Volume Add Track Currency Converter Manual Credit Card New Also Bought Keep Login Item Comment Box Sales Stats Resize What I Use Gift Certificate Discount Groups v1.1 Fix Coup Cert Auto Open Main Page Delete Special Order 3-D Buttons View CC Update v1.2 List ">

As brooky said nowadays they dont look at them..

here is what they look at as of dec 2004

links to your site..

first 35 word of you site ( Main page index.html of php )

links out side of you site.

vists from the engin..

and a few others..

the places you wish to post your site for the Search are

aol.com

google.com

yahoo.com

if you post on them 3 only you will cover about 90% of all Searchs from other site..

Hope this helps someone..

If you all need more info on getting TOP hits like me 11,876 aday let me know i can post it here in step by step... now how to turn them in to sales dont ask i still dont know LoL.... all i can say on the sales site is

1 Look of your site

2 speed of your site

Anyways

Hope someone understand what i just said here..

Later

Afksky