Installing Cube Cart (CHMOD??)

Guest blackandwhite

Guest blackandwhite

im trying to install cubecart and im finding it a bit of a nightmare to be honest. what should be straight forward is causing problems.

ive downloaded and uploaded the files to a location onmy server and then visited the link in browse. but when i start the installation i cant go past stage 2.

this is the error it shows me:

cubecartproblemeg.jpg

i then tryed to understand what it is trying to ask and when clicking the question mark it explains the problem by stating i should right click on tmp and the select CHMOD.

now forgive me if this is straightforward but i have no idea what this means or what its asking.

please could someone explain in basic terms what the problem is here and what i can do to put it right.

im on linux op system also if anyone needs to know.

please help me. many thanks

Guest devstudent

CHMOD is a confusing issue to people who are new to managing their own server, CHMOD is a Unix thing, it's how permissions get set on files and directories. It's confusing to you right now but it is simple, I promise. I'll try not to further confuse you with a lengthy explanation of CHMOD any more than possible.

The error you are seeing is telling you that for Cube Cart to operate further (its a good error, be happy the Cube Cart team had the foresight to do this) you need to change the permissions for your pear/tmp directory (folder).

How you do this depends on what you use either from your desktop computer or on your server directly.

OPTION 1:

I use a shell program for stuff like this called "SecureCRT" since my main home computer is a Windows box and my server runs on BSD. Running a shell likely isn't going to be the easiest choice for you. I only point this out because if you do a search for info and find reference to using a shell, keep looking there are other ways, the shell is just faster and easier if you know what you are doing.

OPTION 2:

Another option to do this is with the FTP program your using, for this I use a program called "SecureFX", others are available. I don't use others so can't give you a step by step for anything but the one I prefer to use. Most are the same though, you connect to your server with your FTP program, browse to the directory the error message is warning you about, and in most FTP programs you can just right click and select the permissions options, just change the numbers you will see for this directory (folder) from the "0755" it is currently set at, to what Cube Cart is telling you it needs to be set at "0777" (which is actualy a lower security setting than where it currently is on your server).

OPTION 3:

Third option, most people have their web sites running on a hosted server, usualy the host provider you use will have set up a program that makes managing your server a little easier for beginners. The most common is probably "cPanel". If you have cPanel, or a simular program go into your 'File Manager" from your control panel, browse to the directory (folder) you want, in this case /pear/tmp/ and in your control panel you should see an option to change or set permissions. Select that option and change the permissions from where they are currently set 0755 to the requested value of 0777.

And your done,

You should, set yourself a time though that you can set aside to read more and learn at least a solid basic understanding of CHMOD, it's rather important for all aspects of managing your own web site to understand it. You may not understand what your reading at first, but the more you read and look into the easier you'll find it actually is.

Guest blackandwhite

thanks Devstudent. that was a very clear explanation. i appreciate that. ive finally installed it. but as i go to the store home it says about deleting the install folder and an ungrade.php. shall i just go ahead and delete these and then will the shop appear?

many thanks again

thanks Devstudent. that was a very clear explanation. i appreciate that. ive finally installed it. but as i go to the store home it says about deleting the install folder and an ungrade.php. shall i just go ahead and delete these and then will the shop appear?

many thanks again

Yes delete the install folder and upgrade.php. These pose a security threat if left on your server and that is why you must delete them.