Working Off-Line?

Guest possumvalley

Guest possumvalley

I am on dial-up service, and it is taking so very long to add all of my product line. I am moving my site over to Cubecart as soon as possible, but it is taking forever to add products in.

Is there any way I can manually add products into CubeCart while working off-line and upload the completed files when done? If so, which file(s) should I be working with? I am fairly well-versed in HTML & DHTML, but PHP and SQL are new to me. I know that certain "rules" must be followed, and am very careful when editing code, always maintaining a back-up prior to editing anything.

Thank you in advance for any and all help....

It's not possible to add products while offline. You could of course prepare the images, descriptions, prices etc. by putting them into a spreadsheet file offline, then upload using Sir. William's import script, but maybe this is too much hassle.

You could instead setup the site locally and then upload, although it's a lot of work. You would need to set up a local virtual web server on your system with php/mySql etc. I'm looking into this right now so I can practice developing at home quicker without the need to interact with a server. I'll let you know how I get on.

Possum,

Iv spent some time yesterday evening researching this and ended up installed XAMPP, which contains Apache, MySql, php, php myAdmin etc etc. You can download it from here;

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

It took me about half an hour to get it setup, and went quite smoothly. Everything running well. After this I installed a copy of CubeCart on my localhost which also was a success.

I'd recommend downloading this. A doddle to setup and just what you need. You can also install it onto flash drives, iPods etc. so you can take it and work on it anywhere!

Regards to publishing when finished onto the WWW, I'm not entirely sure yet how this is done.

I think I read a thread on here not long ago which also outlined how to install CC locally. Not 100% on that though.

Good Luck.

Guest possumvalley

Ed, thank you very much for all of your help! I am going to try this tonight and see how it works. I truly appreciate it!