SSL question

Can someone please explain SSL to me? What exactly is it and why do I need to buy it. :rolleyes: I know it's security. I do very little business, I just have just set up cube cart to try to make it easier to get things to the people I make them for , things for disabled kids... so not alot of $$$ coming in so I need to know if I HAVE to have one. THANKS.

A secure server software encrypts all of your personal information including credit card number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet. The encryption process takes the characters you enter and converts them into bits of code that are securely transmitted over the Internet.

The SSL (and TLS) protocol is the Web standard for encrypting communications between users and SSL (secure sockets layer) e-commerce sites. Data sent via an SSL connection is protected by encryption, a mechanism that prevents eavesdropping and tampering with any transmitted data. SSL provides businesses and consumers with the confidence that private data sent to a Web site, such as credit card numbers, are kept confidential. Web server certificates (also known as secure server certificates or SSL certificates) are required to initialize an SSL session.

Customers know when they have an SSL session with a website when their browser displays the little gold padlock and the address bar begins with a https rather than http. SSL certificates can be used on webservers for Internet security and mailservers such as imap, pop3 and smtp for mail collection / sending security.

If you use PayPal IPN, then yes, ALL PayPal's sites are secure. IPN hands the payment off to PayPal's site then comes back to yours. This is the simplest solution and does not require you to have a secure site.

However, if at any point somebody enters credit card info on your site pages, you NEED SSL security. I would say to just continue to use PayPal IPN and let your business build. :P

:D