SSL

Guest truelord

The SSL (and TLS) protocol is the Web standard for encrypting communications between users and SSL (secure sockets layer) e-commerce sites. Data sent via an SSL connection is protected by encryption, a mechanism that prevents eavesdropping and tampering with any transmitted data. SSL provides businesses and consumers with the confidence that private data sent to a Web site, such as credit card numbers, are kept confidential. Web server certificates (also known as secure server certificates or SSL certificates) are required to initialize an SSL session.

Customers know when they have an SSL session with a website when their browser displays the little gold padlock and the address bar begins with a https rather than http. SSL certificates can be used on webservers for Internet security and mailservers such as imap, pop3 and smtp for mail collection / sending security.

Your SSL session begins when you place an order.

Guest truelord

Hey Roban I appreciate your help a lot,...........im trying to enable SSL but i cant. I host with Yahoo where I use shared SSL. I have to create an SSL folder and call it ssl, this is the folder where I have to store all files that have to be protected through SSL, but within cubecart I dont know which files to store in this folder. It is required by Yahoo to create this folder (ssl) in order to use shared SSL.

Yahoo is not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to hosting. You're better off with another hosting company which will support SSL in a more normal fashion. Then you can get a $20 TurboSSL cert from GoDaddy and not have to be concerned with shared SSL (which cheapens the look/feel of your store and makes you appear less legitimate).

Just my $0.02.

:)

Guest truelord

Thanks a lot Sir William!

Which company do you recommend for web hosting in the UK or US (considering SSL).

Cheers.

And hey if I decide to stay with Yahoo, can i buy dedicated SSL and hope things will work better?

Most hosting companies don't charge you extra for SSL except for perhaps an initial setup fee to generate then install the cert. So if Yahoo wants more money for that "luxury" dump them quick.

I have my own dedicated server, so I'm not the best to ask. But I only host stores that I manage, not for just anybody. This way I retain complete control over what is loaded.

I've heard lots of people praise BlueHost. I'm sure Google will find it for you. Good luck!

:wacko: