digital downloads newbie

Guest hardnut33

Guest hardnut33

I have read the digital downloads guide by markscart and tried my best to understand but am still unsure about how it works..can i clarify with someone...

I have loads of ebooks i wish to list, if one is purchased i want the buyer sent an email with a download link..

i still cant get my head round how it works...

any basic advice is much appreciated for a beginner...

Well it's not that complicated.

When you set up a product select Digital instead of Tangible.

Next, enter the URL or path for the file (in your case the ebook) that customers will be able to download once they have purchased.

Guest hardnut33

and i need to put these ebooks in a folder called downloads, before the public folder??

does the download work for downloading a folder rather than a single file, most of the ebooks are a few files in individual folders..can i convert the folder to a zip and will that be one file then??

i know i may sound stupid but i did say i needed an idiots guide!!

and i need to put these ebooks in a folder called downloads, before the public folder??

Yes that is the best way as no-one can then just download without purchasing. If you use the URL option then anyone could find the folder and download for free.

does the download work for downloading a folder rather than a single file, most of the ebooks are a few files in individual folders..can i convert the folder to a zip and will that be one file then??

If you have more than one file for the order you will need to create a zip file as it will not work for folders. Put all the files into the zip file and then the user will download the zip file.

A few of us have requested a modification that will allow you to put several file references on the product page that relate to digital goods. The reason being that some files might be large and it would mean that they could download the files in segments.

Hope this helps.

Guest hardnut33

right..i have created the downloads folder in the root dir and added one zip file.

i added the item in admin and am pretty sure i have the root path correct (checked with host)

Do i need to enter anything in the general settings of admin other than download time limit and max number of downloads..do i need to enter anything in the directories and folders section?

I made a test purchase and payment went through with paypal but i received no download link....can anyone advise me what im doing wrong?

markscart guide was helpful but i am still unsure of what im doing wrong...

all help is appreciated

No, the only general settings are the download period and number of attempts.

Make sure the payment has been processed in the orders section and the order is processing and then an email should be sent with the link (I assume you made the product digital!).

When you get the email it will have a download link for the product.

Guest hardnut33

thats good..i left the general setting as they were...

I did think that the download link would be sent straight after paypal payment has been made automatically. when i checked in admin i manually changed the order to processing and ticked inform customer but all the email to the customer said was the staus has changed....no link!

I did change the product to digital and entered the path correctly...or at least im pretty sure i did..

the path to the product reads

/home/hardnu01/Downloads/witchsecrets.zip

that is what i have entered as the path to that item in Add Product

i have created a Downloads folder in the root dir with witchsecrets.zip uploaded to that folder...

I really appeciate your guidance Subten and am grateful for the help!!

Ok, the path doesn't make any difference at the moment as it's the email that is not being sent that is the issue.

On the basis that it sent an email when the status was changed the email settings are not the problem.

Is your paypal account the same email address? I don't think it should have but it might have send the email to that email address.

Guest hardnut33

i used a friends paypal account and login details to make a purchase..

their paypal email and site login email are the same...payment went to my usual paypal account for all site orders...

the email the buyer receives is this,

Dear mr ********,

The status of your order id: 070411-******-5334 has been changed to

Processing

This email was automatically sent from http://hardnutdvdandbooks.com

and thats it....as far as i know paypal is all ok at my end..ipn is set up and i have been receiving payments no probs from start up for all tangible goods.....

i knew id have probs with the ebooks but i hope its something easy im not realising!

like i said, the help is appreciated!

Guest hardnut33

i have tried but that makes me more confused..i will keep working on it, i think it will be something so blatant that im missing it!!

there is an email problem solved in the pinned posts but it goes over my head...lol

thanks for the help you have given though

Guest swifter_uk

Excuse me butting in but I have been trying to test a digital download for a clients site, I get the download notification email and I don't see where paypal comes into this providing the payment goes through, the email should be triggered from cubecart should it not?

Guest hardnut33

i think it should be CC not paypal...so you ARE getting the download email. Swifter, do you have any advise on where im going wrong? im getting no download link in the email from cubecart when the staus is changed to processing or completed...just the usual email (shown above)

was your download email triggered as soon as payment was made or did you have to manually change the order staus in Admin?

Guest hardnut33

RIGHT..i have managed to deal with the email download link and it is being sent ok by email...BUT...at the beginning of the link that is sent via email it starts as

http://hardnutdvd.....etc etc...

but i thought it should be

http://www.hardnutdvd...etc..etc...

the web address appears like this in the emails when the staus is changed as well

does anyone why this is like this or know where i can change this??

If it's coming across without the 'www', it's because you have it defined wrong in your global.inc.php file.

Quite honestly, you'd best benefit from official CubeCart support or by having somebody who knows CubeCart well log in and verify that all your settings are correct.

:w00t:

Quite honestly, you'd best benefit from official CubeCart support or by having somebody who knows CubeCart well log in and verify that all your settings are correct.

I totally agree.

• 3 months later...
Guest jellen

I am having the exact same problem.

Emails are going out acknowledging the sale, but do not have a download link.

I'm emailing my host to double check that I've got the correct server root path, because at this point, I'm not sure what else it could be.

Ellen

Guest jellen

Okay... got downloads to work (whew what a chore!) but I'm getting the wrong file.. getting the download.php file, instead of the downloads file that I want.. So I must still be having something wrong in settings somewhere. I am getting an error message that the purchase failed when being passed back from Paypal to my site, however the emails go out just fine.

I know I read somewhere on here about a similar problem, so I'm going back in.... (holds breath and dives)

Ellen

Guest groovejuice

I believe you get download.php when the path to the digital file you create in your product set-up is incorrect.

It may also be caused by an illegal file name. Shorten the file name, remove non-letter characters and make sure that you repeat the name exactly - file names are case sensitive.

Guest jellen

I believe you get download.php when the path to the digital file you create in your product set-up is incorrect.

It may also be caused by an illegal file name. Shorten the file name, remove non-letter characters and make sure that you repeat the name exactly - file names are case sensitive.

I'll double check all that then. I'm pretty sure the server root path is correct but I've fired off an email to my host support just to be sure, but I'm using /home2/mywebsite/downloads per what's in my cpanel.

And I'll check the download links to be sure they're mapped correctly to the file in the downloads file.

Thanks muchly. I'll post back if i get it working.

Ellen

(also from Calgary--actually Okotoks but what's 15 minutes?)

Oh oh oh!!!

I had a typo in my root path, fixed it and it works like a hot damn now!

Thanks SOOOO much. This forum has saved my sanity.

Ellen