digital downloads newbie

Guest hardnut33

Yes excuse me for buttin in too.... i'm also going to be setting this up and i have been advised to put the folder not under public_html but at the same level as public_html.

Hope that helps... and if i'm wrong please let me know.

Cheers

Antz :(

Guest jellen

Yes excuse me for buttin in too.... i'm also going to be setting this up and i have been advised to put the folder not under public_html but at the same level as public_html.

Hope that helps... and if i'm wrong please let me know.

Cheers

Antz :(

Mine is working like a charm now--orders coming in, downloading working... The instructions I received about adding digital files clearly says to put it ABOVE your public_html folder unless you want some cyber geek to be able to hack in and steal all your files. Then use a server root path and your stuff will be safe from said cyber geek.

And it works just like it's supposed to. (grins)

Ellen

I do have one last question regarding the downloads though.

While everything works well with Paypal, I also have 2CheckOut as a gateway. From what I can tell, there is no way to make this an automatic thing, or am I wrong? Do purchases through 2CO have to be manually changed to processing to get the download link sent?

Thanks,

Ellen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dreamdancer

I am having trouble with downloads. I am using GoDaddy as host and I don't have access to any folders but the public one.

*update*

When I click the link in the email in Apple Mail it says I have the link is not valid or has expired. If I copy and paste it into a browser then it will download. I can download if I check my mail in my webmail program. So maybe I have been having trouble because of Apple's Mail program? Or maybe it is the combination of how GoDaddy has the hosting set up and Apple Mail because I have downloaded digital files from other Cube cart run sites and didn't get the link not valid message.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest siversurfer

Mine is working like a charm now--orders coming in, downloading working... The instructions I received about adding digital files clearly says to put it ABOVE your public_html folder unless you want some cyber geek to be able to hack in and steal all your files. Then use a server root path and your stuff will be safe from said cyber geek.

Can someone please explain to me what is meant by 'adding digital files clearly says to put it ABOVE your public_html folder'

I'm a little confused :wacko:

Guest groovejuice

If you look at your web heirarchy you should have a directory called 'www' or 'public_html' or 'web' . This is the only directory accessible by browsers and typically, all of your web files go in it. DO NOT place download files in this folder. Place them at the same level as this folder by creating a folder called 'downloads' (or whatever you like).

Guest siversurfer

If you look at your web heirarchy you should have a directory called 'www' or 'public_html' or 'web' . This is the only directory accessible by browsers and typically, all of your web files go in it. DO NOT place download files in this folder. Place them at the same level as this folder by creating a folder called 'downloads' (or whatever you like).

Many thanks 'groovejuice', I understand and will try that and hopefully it will solve my download problems as well.