Its s**t, I know..

Guest Just Parts

I am saddened that you think it's s**t. Try to be kinder to yourself.

I think you've done a great job. The only thing that needs work IMO is the header. You need a better logo. The header is a great place to put things like phone number and other messages you want your customers to see.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lordbarron

dude this is actually pretty good, its a blank canvas rly, nice and clean. Ok first thing i would do is trash the background header. use some cool typography, san-serif font to match the normal fonts. And then perhaps work a bit on that grey fade, change it to an orange fade to match your header. and finally user "border-left" and "border-right" set a thin 1-2px thickness and color that orange too and that will look the nutz. all those borders will do is segment the main content and give it a nice legibility without blocking it out into boxes. And speaking as a former media sales advisor, u need some kinda catch line in that header, (slogan, catchline, grab word whatever u wanna call it). Even if it just says est 1989 or watever, or "the motoring department store" just be creative with your words, make it short and exciting.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Just Parts

:)

Updated the store with the new update release..

Lost the database and lost all the products that I did happen to add onto the website

I give up.

Its going to take me DAYS to put it all back up!

Why doesn't it have a backup feature?

At least I still have the skin I happened to backup on my comp.

:)

Updated the store with the new update release..

Lost the database and lost all the products that I did happen to add onto the website

I give up.

Its going to take me DAYS to put it all back up!

Why doesn't it have a backup feature?

At least I still have the skin I happened to backup on my comp.

if im not mistaking the control panel you should where you have the site hosted at should have a control panel where you can log on and do a system backup or you could call the hosting company and have them reinstate the backup the last time the system did a backup on its own hope this info helps

How come you made the title of the site to this:

Just Parts Online Store___________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________ (Powered by CubeCart)

Looks like you are ashamed to have used CubeCart if you are trying to hide the name? If you want to hide it completely you may as well $89 as thats not much.

Guest roman1

The impression I get is that he's being a cheapskate!

Interestingly, we (CC users) come here to "show-off" our work on the CC template and staff and moderators are mainly concerned about copyrights and are even rude and offensive (like the cheapskate above).

I realize the effort and time put into software and appreciate it. But do moderators appreciate the time put into trying to use and configuring the software, then following the rules and leaving the copyright in there and effectively advertising the CC to your visitors? I have my doubts.

Right now I am abiding the rules and advertising CC on my PR2 site through the copyright, site is worth over 10,000 views a month. Let's take very reasonable below market CPM of $10 and that comes to $100 worth in free CC advertising per month.

The OP put few underscores for whatever reason he had, maybe to hide (powered by CubeCart). So what? Did he violate the license to deserve being offended by moderator?

Roman1 if your bothered about people posting Copywrite issues in the show off forum why are you posting:

Interestingly, we (CC users) come here to "show-off" our work on the CC template and staff and moderators are mainly concerned about copyrights and are even rude and offensive (like the cheapskate above).

I realize the effort and time put into software and appreciate it. But do moderators appreciate the time put into trying to use and configuring the software, then following the rules and leaving the copyright in there and effectively advertising the CC to your visitors? I have my doubts.

Right now I am abiding the rules and advertising CC on my PR2 site through the copyright, site is worth over 10,000 views a month. Let's take very reasonable below market CPM of $10 and that comes to $100 worth in free CC advertising per month.

The OP put few underscores for whatever reason he had, maybe to hide (powered by CubeCart). So what? Did he violate the license to deserve being offended by moderator?

I see no constructive critism or praise of the store concerned, just Copywrite issues by yourself (and reciprocating what you belive to be rudeness-- which would make you rude aswell.......wouldnt it ):dizzy:

Just parts-- Your store is looking cool mate, you should be proud of it and dont forget youve got all the time in the world (or until you retire from all the money your gonna make) to make improvements.

Keep up the good work and good luck with your venture. :D

Guest roman1

burgensteen, you are right, I did not comment on the OPs website but rather hijacked his thread and responded to Brivtech as I am doing now responding to you :dizzy:

Comments about copyrights do not bother me, but that is where the discussion I was reacting to started and I also had my own show-off thread where the copyright seemed to be a point of discussion several times so I found it interesting.

burgensteen is right for the second time, I got little ticked off, my apologies to everyone.

Just Parts, the store looks fine. The full line of underscores in the title may be little confusing and in my opinion there is too much white background and fonts may seem too small. I thought that you use such small fonts to be 800x600 friendly but when I tried it on that size, the blue top header took 1/3 of the screen. You may want to look at your HTML validation issues, it's no big deal but some people claim that search engines will slightly derank you for invalid HTML markup.

Guest Brivtech

Firstly, the comment was not aimed at you, unless of course, you have done the same thing, then I guess it would also have applied.

CubeCart is provided to you for FREE for you to make money with, if you leave the copyright in. The developers (Who I am not) have spent literally years of man hours putting it all together, investing money into the system security testing, and various other overheads. I know for a fact, this is a huge investment, I have also been using the same security testing service for some of my ownh products, and they are not cheap.

The hope is that referrals from the acknowledgement that the copyright gives will lead to later sales - It is an agreement that the store owner uses to advertise the software in return for using it for free. Only a fraction of stores used actually have followed through in a license sale.

Devellion could change this and charge anyway, but that's clearly not their business plan. The popularity is ever increasing, and the tactic seems to be working for them.

I certainly do appreciate the time and effort spent getting stores right. I have invested over a year of my time working every day, designing and writing mods and skins for my customers and my own use. I have installed and customised many stores, I just dont go about promoting my work here, it's not my target market, I'm not interested in selling my MODs either - It's smallfry as far as I am concerned. I ensure that licensing on everything I do (Not just CubeCart) is correct, and at times, even get my local solicitors involved to clarify queries that I have. It would be professional suicide if I didn't.

Subsequently, the hack here of pushing the "powered by cubecart" off the browser so it doesn't show, in my opinion undermines the good faith of the free use licensing agreement that you sign up to when you install the software.

At the end of the day, the software makes you money. I believe I'm fair to say that hiding acknowledgements is not appropriate, and my opinion of this is justified.

Roman1, I don't know if you realise, but I do my moderation job with responsibility, I'm not paid for it, and I do not advertise through it. I make no financial gain from doing it whatsoever. I volunteer, because I want to give something more back to the developers, a way of saying a thankyou that goes further than paying for a license, because their product is becoming my livihood. Subsequently, my loyalty is to them because of this, and license violations make me mad! We see many license viloations that at the end of the day belittle the work that the developers have put into this all. I do not intend to be rude, and I'm sorry that you have taken that impression, I am simply trying to make a point.

Yes. It's clear that he's masking the acknowledgement in this case. The point I was trying to make in the subtext, was that Just Parts should really play by the rules, either get a license and get rid of the copyright altogether, or correctly operate the store according to the licensing terms and conditions. His site has great potential, and he shoudn't have to play games by hiding the copyrights or acknowledgements. "Powered By CubeCart" is a quality symbol that assures customers that the store is secure. Check out security flaws and bug reports on the competition, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Guest roman1

Some are bothered by copyright and they purchase the right to remove it. Devellion acknovledges existence of this group by offering the option to remove the copyright. Other do not mind and why to spend $89 if they can use it elsewhere. Devellion acknovledges existence of this group by offering the option to run the software with advertisement (copyright notice).

The license is clear - one cannot modify nor remove the notice. If OP obstructed portion of it, he did not remove it.

It's like taxes - everybody knows that government does great things with them (healthcare, roads) and yet everybody is looking for ways to reduce them :dizzy:

@ Roman1 , LOL, yes I remember your thread, and as you had "partially masked" the branding yourself I can see why you're taking exception to those of us who do unashamedly tend to promote the interests of the developer. I suppose you will have plenty of opportunity to highjack threads in that regard :D

@ Just Parts, the site is coming along nicely, but the title bar does look a little sillywith the long underscore there :dizzy:

Guest roman1

@ Roman1 , LOL, yes I remember your thread, and as you had "partially masked" the branding yourself I

I will try not to get back to this subject anymore :dizzy: My top copyright was lost in sincere unintentional action of defining the title not realizing it was part of the license. I am an nice citizen and if it was marked like <!-- do not change in free version --> - I would not touch it.

Guest Just Parts

Hey guys,

I'm back..

I've noticed there are a lot of comments about me being a "cheap skate", where actually changed the title about a week back to see what would happen if I put that many underscores in the title where I was actually surprised it wasn't blocked or limited, and before i had the chance to fix it up, my connection dropped out and I contacted my ISP and they had a technician come out into the area who replaced my cable modem, so I've had the net for a few days now but I come on these forums & make changes to my store quite rarely.

I will be purchasing the full license as soon as I receive a payment from a customer to my PayPal account for some stock to be purchased because I only have sufficient funds in my money bookers account which I use the most.

Unless they are prepared to accept funds from my money bookers account.