My first attempt with CubeCart

Guest Jim Guinn

Guest Jim Guinn

I would appreciate any feedback you have for improvement.

I decided on the Killer skin, but I am concerned about how it renders in smaller resolutions. I use 1280x1084. I switched the resolution and took a look at 800x600 and it looks terrible....unless that is because my monitor renders best at the higher resolution. Do you use a smaller resolution? How does it look to you? Please mention your screen resolution.

I started with the blues, but really want greens. My problem...I don't know Adobe or Paint well enough to re-do the blue tabs, category bar and document bar with it's gradients and angles, so I have replaced them with green "blocks". I'm searching for someone who can create these for me.

Constructive criticism is most welcomed.

www.MoonShadowsFarm.com

Thanks.

Jim

Guest quantex

Hi,

Looking good, with regards to re-doing images I use a package called bluevoda (its free if you have the hosting account at about $7 a month) although it's a web design package that is far more simple to use than say dreamweaver it really comes in handy if you want to produce images etc. The wysiwyg editor is perfect for this, I use the legend skin on my site and wasn't happy with the blue headers on the boxes, wanted them in red, after looking in the wrong place for ages, thought it was a stylesheet item, finally realised they are images and used bluevoda to redo them. To get the size right I simply copied over the legend standard image in bluevoda and then sized a new red one alongside it, changed the colour and it's done. Have a look www.quantexhealth.co.uk .... hope this helps, to me the more you can do yourself the better it is, both from a financial angle and knowing you have complete control etc.

Paul

Looking nice ;)

I would make the background image you use as a header smaller, i can only see up to the farn.... using 1024x768.

The bottom link bar is a bit off on the left side.

Keep up the good work :errm:

Guest Jim Guinn

Thanks for the suggestions...

As far as the header...good...thanks for letting me know. I resized it. You should be able to see the whole thing now in 1024x768 ... probably the most common screen resoulution these days.

I'm not sure why the link bar at the bottom "grew". I made the new gifs exactly the same size as the originals. In fact when I coded in 006600 for the left column, the original blue link bar also overlapped. Any idea why?

Jim

Guest Jim Guinn

I can't read any of the text in the 2 side panels - It's white on white.

OUCH! That is not good. I just pulled up the site with Firefox and I get the same thing.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Also, is there anything I can do to get the site to render properly for those who use a smaller screen resolution. At 800x600 it is nasty! (I guess I just assumed it would render properly for smaller resolutions...like most sites I have built in the past.)

These might be two good reasons why my sales have dropped drastically since switching to CubeCart. Hope I don't have to find another cart.

Jim

Guest Jim Guinn

I can't read any of the text in the 2 side panels - It's white on white.

Check now. The only way I can get the text on the side panels to show in Firefox is to reverse the colors. Instead of green panels with white text, I had to change it to white panels with green text. I don't really like the way it looks, but at least it is visible in Firefox now. (The blue text underscore in FF looks terrible. At least in IE the underscoring renders as green also....maybe I'll go back and change the text to blue also.)

Oh well, another problem solved.

Now if I could just find out how to have the site render properly for those with 800x600 screen resolution.....

Jim

Guest Jim Guinn

Just to follow up....

It's fixed, but I don't like the results.....

It was the table I had on the home page. I created the table so I could alternate the text and pics side to side going down the main section of the page. It looked nicer that way.

I removed the table and just put the pics and text alternating underneath each other.

Strange....I used the table button within the built in WYSIWYG editor to create the table. I just assumed it would render correctly.

Guess that is a lesson never to assume anything when using a free script.

Jim

Guest reb_76

I never use a WYSIWYG for that reason - I greatly prefer to handcode what I can and buy scripts for the rest!

I'm glad you got that fixed :errm:

Guest Jim Guinn

Thanks johnni....

I now have what I was looking for....almost....I'll keep tweaking.

I wanted my store to look "simplistic"..."home made". A site that sells home made items should also look home made.

Jim