JustWhat-IWant.co.uk

markscarts

Just What I Want is a gift store, and my aim is a sort of comic-book appearance, but with enough professionalism to inspire confidence in the buyer.

I am aware that the site carries a large overhead in image file sizes, in fact, I'm working on optimizing images now for faster loading.

Thanks for taking a look and offering your comments.

http://www.justwhat-iwant.co.uk

Guest reb_76

I like it :-)

I'm going to be the dissenting voice here, and say that I wouldn't optimize your top header quite as much as you have. :D

Reason being, I think - I started out as a photographer, and I really dislike an image that looks grainy. It makes me itch ;) That's why my sites tend to take 2 to 3 seconds longer to load - but no grainy images!

The gifts look cool :D

Just What I Want is a gift store, and my aim is a sort of comic-book appearance, but with enough professionalism to inspire confidence in the buyer.

I am aware that the site carries a large overhead in image file sizes, in fact, I'm working on optimizing images now for faster loading.

Thanks for taking a look and offering your comments.

http://www.justwhat-iwant.co.uk

Yes, I did the design and graphics and the coding for CubeCart integration, but the inspiration came from my customer who wanted it to look and perform similar to another site. Some of the small images were taken from actual product photos, others are purchased and public domain icons art.

edit: I wrote above that I had done the graphics, but I forgot to mention that forum member Robsta made the banner graphic, "Spring is in the Air" - special thanks to Robsta for doing that :D

Guest lordbarron

i do think the worry of keeping file sizes down is a bit overstated, in the uk broadband is the norm these days, infact it works out more expensive to go dial up these days, so although I havn't got round to optimizing my images I'm in no hurry to shrink them at the cost of quality. my flash header currently is over 300kb but i think knocking it down 50-100 would be useful. Same with my background, they r the two biggest images i have.

i do like this site its cute and still does look professional, perfect for a kids store like toys r us or sumthink

Mark.... what can I say..........FANTASTIC, I love it, im a big fan of fun sites( makes the WWW a cooler place to be)

I think people can take web design a bit too serious sometimes and realy like it when people put a slightly different slant on it all.

I think youve got the balance just right, (realy like the blue, white and yellow theme, this is what I normaly use for this sort of site) ive seen some awfull cartoon type sites, they go just too far over the top and it can become tacky yet others try to incorporate it but are too paranoid about file size, colour schemes and the like.......................But this is spot on mate. WELL DONE, you should be very proud.

Burgensteen

Guest lordbarron

Wow, thanks for the encouraging words :)

BTW, in response to Reb_76 and lordbarron, I have reverted to the 60kb header which is a little more sharp in focus than the 30kb version was.

yea this is definetly a rocking page. its a really clean layout . the catagories down the side are brilliant i have no idea how you do that, not to mention loads of other tweaks to this page, but it all comes together brilliantly. You would never guess it was a cubecart store.

Guest reb_76

Wow, thanks for the encouraging words :errm:

BTW, in response to Reb_76 and lordbarron, I have reverted to the 60kb header which is a little more sharp in focus than the 30kb version was.

Thank You ;)

Guest wdstather

Mark....Great site, clean, fresh, fun. Wish I had 1/2 your talent :errm:

pc-people.co.uk changing expectations

Guest webicon

Really nice feel to the site. Love the navigation bar.

Only thing I would comment on - is that the text on the 'add to cart' button looks a bit 'squished' to me...and yes that is just me being nit-picky because the store is just so damn good!

Guest downliner

Very nice indeed. I have only one suggestion to put forward... Lose the "Spring Is In The Air" image. The image itself looks nice and is very clean, but the rest of your page is made up of cartoon graphics. The photograph of a hot air balloon, although it is meant to stand out I presume, only stands out because it doesnt fit in the page imo.

Perhaps your graphic designer could convert the photo into a cartoon image of a hot air balloon? I'm sure he could do this by just recuding the amount of colours used?

Anyway it is just a suggestion, good luck with your store.

Points are well-taken guys, and I thank you for them :)

Note about the hot air balloon banner - I know this will probably sound crazy, but here is what's happening there . . .

First, I'm not the site owner, but the maker of this site. Second, Creating a set of banners goes beyond my goals, my criteria, in making the site, but I did develop it with a space for banner in mind and a way to manage the banners through the admin control panel. I included four banners with the site, but they are admittedly generic "dummy" banners - though nice, they are just placeholders. The presumption is that the site owner will have banners to his liking made and displayed there :)

Thank you all for the comments, especially for this type of feedback, as the site owner is watching this thread :innocent:

My work on this site is done, but the site is not finished yet. Many products are being added daily. The owner may or may not add new banners to front page, time will tell. Any positive criticism like this is very helpful. I will tinker with remaking the purchase button for more clarity.

Very pretty site, though I would make the thumbnails a bit bigger. A lot of people browse by thumbnail alone I've found and a bit bigger would be easier to see - especially on high res monitors.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest lovejenete

Hi Mark,

You have created wonderful site that I have never seen

before. I love your site very much and all products are

so awesome it makes my wallet empty :)

It is really nice site , Thanks for sharing with us.

• 4 months later...

Hi mark..

Your way of designing is so nice..

Your site is like what you wanted. The products are awesome. As lovejenete said, the products are like making every one's wallet empty.

To the point "my aim is a sort of comic-book appearance, but with enough professionalism to inspire confidence in the buyer." The appearance of the site is perfect.

Thanks for sharing...