usps rate increase = shipping module changes?

Guest conspicuouschick

Guest conspicuouschick

as posted in another thread, http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=27165 some of us have received emails from the USPS regarding their shipping rate changes and such. But the bigger question is - do these changes require the code in the shipping module to be altered? No one seems to have the answer for this, and considering it happens in about ten days it's important to know whether all stores using usps for shipping will be completely screwed.

Any information would be useful. Thanks.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jim Guinn

When you use USPS aren't you tied in with their server? If so, their server should spit back the correct increases. At least that is the way it worked for me with another cart with the last USPS increase. I hope CC is the same.

Jim

Guest midwest

I spoke with the USPS today about this issue. Asked if a retest needed to be ran on the USPS module, and they said no, but there are class changes, esspecially in the International Mailing options, in which the CC developers may have to address. I believe this may only pertain to the class fields but cannot say for sure. CC developers will have to contact USPS about necassary changes they need to make to the cart, if any.

Those that are using the USPS Module in CC and are connected through the USPS live server, it would be my guess that the correct shipping information should propigate on the date of change, May 14th 2007.

If you would like to contact the USPS about this issue, use the Number located in the USPS shipping configuration module.

You can also go to www.usps.com for more info about the rate increase and class changes.

midwest :)

UPDATE - MAY 4TH 2007

Contacted CC developer and was assured this was on the "TO DO" list !

Hopfully they will post something on the boards soon.

midwest :D

Guest midwest

I spoke with the USPS today about this issue. Asked if a retest needed to be ran on the USPS module, and they said no, but there are class changes, esspecially in the International Mailing options, in which the CC developers may have to address. I believe this may only pertain to the class fields but cannot say for sure. CC developers will have to contact USPS about necassary changes they need to make to the cart, if any.

Those that are using the USPS Module in CC and are connected through the USPS live server, it would be my guess that the correct shipping information should propigate on the date of change, May 14th 2007.

If you would like to contact the USPS about this issue, use the Number located in the USPS shipping configuration module.

You can also go to www.usps.com for more info about the rate increase and class changes.

midwest :P

UPDATE - MAY 4TH 2007

Contacted CC developer and was assured this was on the "TO DO" list !

Hopfully they will post something on the boards soon.

midwest :ninja:

Just an update on this issue,

I got word today that the CC developers were on this. It is as I expected, since the info is coming from the USPS servers, it should automatically update the shipping. However they are still investigating, and changes, if any, that need to be made will be forthcoming.

midwest B)

I've bee researching this. It seems they have setup a new staging server for testing but there is absolutely no documentation on their site for it. The most recent one is 03/31/06. Until they provide developers some information about how the new v3 API works there is nothing we can do. This is pretty poor seeing as their rates go live in 5 days time.

If anyone has any other news or info I'd be pleased to hear. I assume the v2 integration currently in CubeCart v3 will still work.

Guest midwest

I've bee researching this. It seems they have setup a new staging server for testing but there is absolutely no documentation on their site for it. The most recent one is 03/31/06. Until they provide developers some information about how the new v3 API works there is nothing we can do. This is pretty poor seeing as their rates go live in 5 days time.

If anyone has any other news or info I'd be pleased to hear. I assume the v2 integration currently in CubeCart v3 will still work.

This sounds A-Typical of these morons. They will wait till the last minute as ussual. :errm:

Thanks to AL for all the research he has put into this issue. ;)

No probs. If/when I find out the API changes I will release a new module.

I'm trying to build a DHL/FedEX module for the next major release but getting hold of a developer account is proving to be IMPOSSIBLE from both these companies. I've been passed between departments held on the phone for ages. It's rubbish.

Guest conspicuouschick

The whole situation is pretty panic-inducing considering they're going from strictly weight-based to weight and size-based. I've located a chart of the weight based changes, but I'm not finding their size-based rates anywhere. And since it is size-based as well, how is the current module supposed to function correctly, when it's not possible to stipulate package size?

If these people did not possess a first class mail monopoly, they would've been bankrupt years ago.

The whole situation is pretty panic-inducing considering they're going from strictly weight-based to weight and size-based. I've located a chart of the weight based changes, but I'm not finding their size-based rates anywhere. And since it is size-based as well, how is the current module supposed to function correctly, when it's not possible to stipulate package size?

If these people did not possess a first class mail monopoly, they would've been bankrupt years ago.

I also heard that the new rates will include what size the package is now. Errr...This will affect cubecart. :(

Another change is a mix-up with the international shipping... No more Global Priority Mail, Air Parcel Post, and one other method. They have all been combined into a 'Priority Mail International' which actually might be a positive since you can now use the same domestic Priority Mail boxes for your international shipments. :)

Guest midwest

I also heard that the new rates will include what size the package is now. Errr...This will affect cubecart. :(

Another change is a mix-up with the international shipping... No more Global Priority Mail, Air Parcel Post, and one other method. They have all been combined into a 'Priority Mail International' which actually might be a positive since you can now use the same domestic Priority Mail boxes for your international shipments. :)

Ok, I have looked into this again tonight and thought I would share some info I have found regarding the above post.

For those of you that would like to check it out for yourselves, go to www.usps.gov/prices to get a quick overview as well as printable PDF files of all the changes.

For those of you looking to implement varible weight shipping, do a search for the post of these members and include USPS in your search:

AlanT

hafree

I am using these in my store and they work well !

Now, first, postage has ALWAYS been based first on weight, then size of mailing, then zone of delivery. Actually I think zone was added later, but anyway, except for first class letters, post cards and 8"x11" flat envelopes - Parcel Post, Priority and and other PACKAGE mailing services already incorporate size and zone paramiters. It is primarily based on the Maximum size of Length + Gerth of 108". Over that and you are charged an additional fee. SO - MEASURE before you apply the postage.

NOW, they are actually incorporating size paramiters for FIRST CLASS mailings as well. However, I don't see any problems with this at all, as they are based on current standard envelope sizes.

Also, to clarify the International Mailing services, they have had an absolutely confusing selection of services for this area of service and begining May 14th they will have cleaned it up VERY Nicely.

You will have 4 choice in the service. They are,

FIRST CLASS MAIL INTERNATIONAL- Registry service available

PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL - 6-10 day's delivery time

EXPRESS MAIL INTERNATIONAL- 3-5 days '' ''

GLOBAL EXPRESS GUARANTEED - 1-3 days Guaranteed.

This will be MUCH less confusing to both us and the customers.

There will also be insurance available on Priority International where there was not before.

I did not find anything on whether you will be able to use domestic Priority Boxes for International Priority Shipping. That would be nice. If someone has a link to the info, please PM it to me. I would like to see it.

As far as CC is concerned, it will depend how the USPS servers are set up for the new rates. IF they use what they use now for the calls, I really don't see how it would be effected as they should propogate by themselves. IF they use different calls or coding, then yes this will impact CC. The CC developers ( sorry Al) will have to notify us what those new calls/code are so that we can modify the coding in the file, or they will have to issue an update.

I know Al has been on this delegently, as well as TRYING to update shipping modules from other companies and again I would like to thank him for his hard work. I know he is doing what he can to help us out.

One last note, the USPS does not have a first class mail monopoly anymore. That is smoke and mirrors. How many other delivery companies do you know of, UPS, Fed-Ex , etc. that have "Document Service" ? They have been doing it for years. It is just going to cost you WAY more than a few pennies. :(

Guest KGBelectronics

i would love to see a dhl fed ex module it would help me n the long run

calvin

If you do a search in the CubeCart directory here for 'FedEx' one has been available for CubeCart for some time. I'm sure the author would do a DHL version if enough people asked him.

Cheers,

Ken

Guest conspicuouschick

Now, first, postage has ALWAYS been based first on weight, then size of mailing, then zone of delivery. Actually I think zone was added later, but anyway, except for first class letters, post cards and 8"x11" flat envelopes - Parcel Post, Priority and and other PACKAGE mailing services already incorporate size and zone paramiters. It is primarily based on the Maximum size of Length + Gerth of 108". Over that and you are charged an additional fee. SO - MEASURE before you apply the postage.

NOW, they are actually incorporating size paramiters for FIRST CLASS mailings as well. However, I don't see any problems with this at all, as they are based on current standard envelope sizes.

One last note, the USPS does not have a first class mail monopoly anymore. That is smoke and mirrors. How many other delivery companies do you know of, UPS, Fed-Ex , etc. that have "Document Service" ? They have been doing it for years. It is just going to cost you WAY more than a few pennies. :(

Yes, but the 'size' issue was only a surcharge for exceeding a maximum. How many people really had to contend with that? Especially on an order by order (or package by package) basis?

Document service is different than first class mail. First class mail applies to anything less than 13 oz. If you head over to ups.com for a quote, their price tier starts at 1 pound. There's a reason for that.

The issue is not knowing. Take today, May 12th for example. While the postal rates don't increase until Monday, any orders I receive today or tomorrow cannot be shipped until Monday. But I suspect my customers will be charged "old" rates, which means I'll lose money. Plus, at this point we don't know if the rates will automatically change via the module come Monday morning. And if they don't, the customers are being charged old rates even longer.

For the time being I've changed my shipping to 'per item', because I'm really at a loss as to another solution. I pride myself on not overcharging on shipping but I can't afford to lose money on it either.

Guest midwest

JUST A HEADS UP-

Everyone run a test on your USPS International Shipping options, if applicable.

Mine are screwed up since the USPS Change. Not coming up in the Dropdown.

Will run a re-test to the USPS servers today through Admin Shipping module to see if that does the trick.

midwest :dizzy:

UPDATE- 8 8:04 am

Just ran a test through the USPS servers. First run, did not call up the International. Reregistered trhough the USPS and got new Username and entered in CC admin. Reran test, still no International.

Following is diplayed in CC admin:

USPS Server Domestic Test 1 - Actual Results

Priority Mail Flat Rate Box (11.25" x 8.75" x 6") 7.70

Priority Mail Flat Rate Box (14" x 12" x 3.5") 7.70

USPS Server Domestic Test 2 - Actual Results

Express Mail to PO Addressee 39.20

Priority Mail 8.95

Parcel Post 7.80

Bound Printed Matter 3.53

Media Mail 5.14

Library Mail 4.91

USPS Server International Test 1 - Actual Results

Authorization Error connecting to United States Postal Service Server: http://testing.shippingapis.com/ShippingAPITest.dll

Please register at http://www.usps.com/webtools/ and enter the correct username and password in the CubeCart control panel. You MUST have a successful test transaction before USPS will give you access to the live server.

Please go back and verify your login information. Remember, you must have your USPS issued username entered and something in the password box.

Everything in my CC admin is correct. Since they have changed the Product names altogether, it is my assumption that we will need to go in and change the code to reflect these changes regarding the International Shipping.

All domestic seems to be working ok as far as I can tell.

midwest

JUST A HEADS UP-

Everyone run a test on your USPS International Shipping options, if applicable.

Mine are screwed up since the USPS Change. Not coming up in the Dropdown.

Will run a re-test to the USPS servers today through Admin Shipping module to see if that does the trick.

midwest :dizzy:

Do you have any mods done to your USPS?

If you just have the regular 'class.usps.php' file from CC3.0.15, then all the new international shipping methods should be listed.

I have a modified USPS file, which limits the International to specific shipping methods only. This morning my International shipping was now coming up with empty results. I have to change to names hardcoded in my file over to the new internation names. Now everyhting seems okay.

-Tim

Guest conspicuouschick

It appears USPS updated their module, at least for first class and parcel post.

On the mock purchase I made, prior to this increase, the postage would've been .63 first class. It is now $1.30.

That's over 100% increase. How many small business do you think they just killed? (probably including mine)

The USPS must have just changed something recently. As of 9:00AM this morning, both domestic and international were working okay. But an hour ago I was alerted by a customer that they could not check out. When they would click 'Continue Checkout', my website would just hang.

I tried going into the Admin USPS 'Submit Test to USPS Server', but now after my page hangs for several minutes I end up just getting this response:

XML error: no element found at line 1

Either the USPS might be just getting overloaded with companies attempting to get everything working again correctly ... Or USPS changed something which is no longer compatable with the current CubeCart software - Yikes! :(

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Have you got a resources page or anything that shows the changes? I've found absolutely no new documentation on the USPS website making this impossible for us to deal with.

Al,

I'll see if I can find anything but so far I am just thinking USPS lost their minds.

As far as your 3.0.16 code from this morning, it appeared fully compatable with the new price changes. However in the previous post, the USPS code is now failing (XML error: no element found at line 1). :)

-Tim

Guest ladagerick

The USPS must have just changed something recently. As of 9:00AM this morning, both domestic and international were working okay. But an hour ago I was alerted by a customer that they could not check out. When they would click 'Continue Checkout', my website would just hang.

I tried going into the Admin USPS 'Submit Test to USPS Server', but now after my page hangs for several minutes I end up just getting this response:

Either the USPS might be just getting overloaded with companies attempting to get everything working again correctly ... Or USPS changed something which is no longer compatable with the current CubeCart software - Yikes! :(

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Have you got a resources page or anything that shows the changes? I've found absolutely no new documentation on the USPS website making this impossible for us to deal with.

Al,

I'll see if I can find anything but so far I am just thinking USPS lost their minds.

As far as your 3.0.16 code from this morning, it appeared fully compatable with the new price changes. However in the previous post, the USPS code is now failing (XML error: no element found at line 1). :)

-Tim

I am getting the same error message, Also I had an order from Australia go through with no shipping charges. I shut down the store with message to call to order. Hope someone can figure out what is wrong!

By the amount of users reading this topic right now, it seems like the problem is growing... Ergh!

I'm scanning the internet right now trying to find any info on what the USPS had planned for today. If they just renamed their international shipping titles, and adjust the rates then everything should still be working fine. But obviously there is more... :(

Here is a message I found on the internet about they changed the Internation APIs but I don't know if these name changes matter.

Dear Customer, 

On May 14, 2007, the United State Postal Service will implement changes in accordance with the Federal Register, to adjust postage prices to cover operational costs and respond to changes in the marketplace. 

The Postal Service will be implementing the rebranding of its international product line. A staging environment will be available to test the new Application Program Interfaces (APIs) along with a User Guide, starting April 19th. To test, please go to:

http://stg-production.shippingapis.com/

https://stg-secure.shippingapis.com/

The rebranding effort will align our international products with our well-known and trusted domestic products – Express Mail, Priority Mail, and First Class Mail. Below are explanations as to how each existing international API will be affected by these changes.

Global Label Express and Global Express Mail V2

A new API (‘ExpressMailIntl’) will be implemented as part of the rebranding. ‘ExpressMailIntl’ will mirror the schema of the current Global Label Express with the following changes:

All references to Global Label Express will be altered to show Express Mail International.

A new Flat Rate Envelope option will be available via the existing Container tag.

A new PO Box tag will be available to indicate that an international address is a Post Office Box.

The To Phone will only be required if the International Address is flagged as a PO Box.

There will be a new Merchandise option available via the Content Type tag.

When the Non-Delivery Option tag in the response indicates Redirect, the Alternate Return Country tag must equal the To Country value.

The SDR (Special Drawing Rights) Value will be removed from the request but will be returned in the response, based on the Value of Contents sent in the request.

A required “Agreement” tag must be included in the ExpressMailIntl request. This tag will indicate whether or not the shipper has agreed to the Customs Information and will provide for an electric signature.

After May 13th, Global Express Mail V2 API will no longer be available.

Global Label Airmail and Global Label Priority Large Flat Rate Envelope

A new API (‘PriorityMailIntl’) will be implemented as part of the rebranding. ‘PriorityMailIntl’ will mirror the schema of the current Global Label Airmail with the following changes:

All references to Global Airmail Parcel Post will be altered to show Priority Mail International.

A new Flat Rate Box option will be available via the existing Container tag.

The existing Global Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Envelope will be available via the Container tag of the new Priority Mail International API (this option will follow the 4 pound/$400 limits of the current Global Label Priority API).

A new PO Box tag will be available to indicate that an international address is a Post Office Box.

The To Phone tag will only be required if the International Address is flagged as a PO Box.

When the Non-Delivery Option tag in the response indicates Redirect, the Alternate Return Country tag must equal the To Country tag (not applicable when the Container is Flat Rate Envelope).

The SDR (Special Drawing Rights) Value tag will be removed from the request but will be returned in the response, based on the Value of Contents sent in the request.

A required “Agreement” tag must be included in the ExpressMailIntl request. This tag will indicate whether or not the shipper has agreed to the Customs Information.

After May 13th, Global Label Priority Mail API will no longer be available.

Global Label Priority

A new API (‘First ClassMailntl’) will be implemented as part of the rebranding. In effect, the current Global Priority Mail variable option will no longer be available. Although a completely different international product, ‘FirstClassMailIntl’ will mirror the schema of the current Global Label Priority with the following changes:

All references to Global Priority Mail will be altered to show First Class Mail International

The existing Large Flat Rate Envelope option will now be available as a Flat Rate Envelope in the Priority Mail International API via the Container type (not via the First Class Mail International API)

The To Phone tag will only be required if the International Address is flagged as a PO Box.

A required “Agreement” tag must be include in the ExpressMailIntl request. This tag will indicate whether or not the shipper has agreed to the Customs Information.

The label is now single ply, 4 inches by 6 inches.

International Rate (IntlRate)

Changes to the International Rate API (IntlRate) will be implemented in response to the International rebranding. The International Rate request will follow the same structural schema, with the addition of one optional tag, ValueOfContents. When ValueOfContents is provided in the request, one of two scenarios will occur in the returned response:

An <Insurance> tag reflecting the insurance fee will be returned based on the amount sent in the <ValueOfContents> tag.

An <InsComment> tag will be returned displaying one of the following three reasons why insurance is not available:

§ “not available for service” or

§ “not available for destination for service” or

§ “not available for given value”

When applicable an Indemnity tag will also be returned in the response. Indemnity is free of charge with this service and is applicable for Priority Mail International. It will be returned if the Indemnity amount in the response is greater than the Insured Value sent in the request.

As applicable to the rebranding effort, the International Rate API will be modified to return the rebranded international products: Express Mail International, Priority Mail International, and First Class Mail International. 

If you have any questions, concerns or technical inquiries, please contact the USPS Internet Customer Care Center via email at icustomercare AT usps DOT com or phone 1-800-344-7779.

Sincerely,

Patti Mason

Manager USPS.com

Another message on important details - These look more important to me.

Here are some more changes:

On May 14 2007, the United States Postal Service(r) will implement changes for Domestic Mail. In response to these changes, a new Domestic Rates Application Program Interface (API), RateV3, will be released by USPS Web Tools(r).

A staging environment will be available to test the new API on April 19th. Please go to:

http://stg-production.shippingapis.com/

RateV2 will still be available after the release of RateV3, and will suffice unless rates need to be calculated for Large Priority Mail packages. USPS is introducing a new dimensional weight pricing model for Large Priority Mail pieces. Dimensional weighting is a mechanism that converts the cubic size of a piece into a weight. If a large box is very light, it will be charged as a higher-weight piece, based on the International Air Transport Association (IATA) standard. This change only affects Priority Mail pieces larger than 1 cubic foot, and traveling to destinations within zones 5-8. The Rate V3 API still requires dimensions if an item is large, regardless of the zone.

To capture the dimensional weight for Large Priority Mail pieces, RateV3 will require three new dimension tags for rectangular Priority Mail pieces: Length, Width, and Height; and four new dimension tags for non-rectangular pieces: Length, Width, Height, and Girth. Shippers will specify in the existing Container tag whether a Large Priority Mail piece is rectangular or non-rectangular.

RateV3 also implements changes to First Class Mail. A new tag, First Class Mail Type, will be used to specify whether a First Class Mail piece is a letter, flat, or parcel. Today, First Class Mail pieces are charged identical rates, regardless of the type of package. With the change, the postage for each type of First Class Mail piece will more accurately reflect the processing costs for each. The Machineable tag will also be applied to First Class Mail, in addition to Parcel Post.

An example of an XML request of the Rate V3 is:

<RateV3Request USERID="000AAAAA9999">

<Package ID="1ST">

<Service>FIRST CLASS</Service>

<FirstClassMailType>LETTER</FirstClassMailType>

<ZipOrigination>44106</ZipOrigination>

<ZipDestination>90210</ZipDestination>

<Pounds>0</Pounds>

<Ounces>0.75</Ounces>

<Size>REGULAR</Size>

<Machinable>false</Machinable>

</Package>

<Package ID="2ND">

<Service>PRIORITY</Service>

<ZipOrigination>44106</ZipOrigination>

<ZipDestination>20770</ZipDestination>

<Pounds>5</Pounds>

<Ounces>8</Ounces>

<Container>NONRECTANGULAR</Container>

<Size>LARGE</Size>

<Width>15</Width>

<Length>30</Length>

<Height>15</Height>

<Girth>55</Girth>

</Package>

<Package ID="3RD">

<Service>ALL</Service>

<ZipOrigination>90210</ZipOrigination>

<ZipDestination>20770</ZipDestination>

<Pounds>8</Pounds>

<Ounces>32</Ounces>

<Container>RECTANGULAR</Container>

<Size>LARGE</Size>

<Width>15</Width>

<Length>30</Length>

<Height>15</Height>

<Machinable>true</Machinable>

</Package>

</RateV3Request>

If you have any questions, concerns or technical inquiries, please contact the USPS Internet customer Care Center via email at [email protected] or phone 1-800-344-7779.

Sincerely,

Patti Mason

Manager, USPS.com

Guest midwest

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Al,

-Tim

I am getting the same error message, Also I had an order from Australia go through with no shipping charges. I shut down the store with message to call to order. Hope someone can figure out what is wrong!

Just spoke with the USPS. Servers Down at the moment.

Thank you midwest!

Actually the server is back online again and working.

However...

I am trying to find out how long the RATE2V XML will still be valid, as it appears they now are using RATEV3 coding. Hopefully they will keep the RATEV2 code going for a while until the USPS Cuebcart ship modules are updated.

-Tim

Guest midwest

Thank you midwest!

Actually the server is back online again and working.

However...

I am trying to find out how long the RATE2V XML will still be valid, as it appears they now are using RATEV3 coding. Hopefully they will keep the RATEV2 code going for a while until the USPS Cuebcart ship modules are updated.

-Tim

Tim,

Spoke with them about this as well.

V3 is supposed to be applicable to Domestic only and only necassary for oversize packages. International still V2.

However, I had no problems with getting a test back for Domestic.

Also the emails you posted were what I received. However I have no idea where to make the changes or exactly what to change.

You ask earlier if I had any mods, and the only one I have is a "variable rate" mod. The one AlanT made avaialble. But it is only appalicable to Express and Priority.

I know Al is working on ths best he can, but I noticed in my CC files that Sirwilliam seemed to have written many of the shipping files. Perhaps he could be of some help to Al. ( and US )

midwest :(