New Apparel & Fashion Site

Guest lordbarron

Guest lordbarron

Hi folks thanks for clicking aboard. My new site www.lordbarron.com/store is an apparel site selling mainly shirts and accessories. Right now the site is at a stage where I can call it live, ie don't buy anything because it will take your money. I havn't fully populated the site at this time due to this, only what I can ship is available.

I'm eager to know about the differences people see within different browsers (safari mainly) and also different screen sizes/resolutiosn.

Its not fully finnished, but its in a good state to view, just tell me what bits need changing as I have lost track of all the tiny details that need taking car of. Also www.lordbarron.com currently is my personal website, but this will be changing to a front page containing 3 links, 1 to the store 1 to my graphics studio page and 1 to my personal site (password protected).

All feed back is really appreciated.

Thanks Ty

www.lordbarron.com/store

LOL!

Well, topic says apparel and fashion, but all the products I saw at homepage were adult toys! :D

I have commented already in skins forum about your site. I like it because you have been creative with the design graphics and because you are sharing with the community step-by-step as you learn how to do the revisions.

I find some negative things that need mentioning:

1. The constantly rotating favicon is awful, I hate it enough to avoid your site.

2. The upper white text, as in session box, is barely visible. You need some contrast there.

3. The copyri9ght text at bottom of page looks a little off, you have some background problems there.

I am viewing in FireFox 2, and only looked at the index page thus far.

Overall, good job, keep it up. You will only continue to make it better, I'm sure :)

Guest lordbarron

ok ok, i havn't got round to changing the favico but ill do it now geez haha

also the copyright thing is proving a little problematic, but all i need to do is similar to what you taught me with the top header and put the copyright in another element with a background image and then remove the background image from the style.css - im trying not to put any images in the stlye.css file just so i know they r all on the layout.css file and make it easier to edit in the future.

also the index is appearing alright, although we fixed the align in FF it is still out of line in IE but i cant figure out why. My other problem is my cartnavi when u go onto it the whole page moves up and looks overlapped. I tried adding my flash which worked and moved it down a bit, but i couldn't add my catagories for some reason. that is the one page that needs the most work.

As for the contrast on the top bar i agree its too faint and not very legible so im going to opt for a dark blue instead.

I think when im finnished im going to try and write a little case study explaining all my steps, as my notes in the forum are very messy, full of bad grammer and just general a bore to read. So thats another little project i want to contribute when im all finnished.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lordbarron

Since first posting this show-off post I have made some additions and upgrades to the site.

New features include;

coupon manager

seo optimization

product attribute stock control

new "more images" javascript

modifications include:

images converted to gif for faster download

slight clean-up of script

standardised images , thumbnail is different from large image.

last few jobs to do include, aligning content boxes better, fixing few images

populating store with products

adding content to all the siteDocs

I have also had labels, letter heads etc designs to fit the style of the site to compliment the off-line with the online branding.

any further suggestions would be really welcome! thanks

please note this store is now live! dont buy unless u want.

Guest offthehook

I really liked the front page, it looked different and a little funky. However the further I got into your site the more 'cubecart' it looked and the less impressed I became.

I really can't stress strongly enough for designers and CC skinners to spend time attending to the way that their viewcat, viewprod and cart pages are displayed. There's so much you could do to improve and individualise on the default CC skins and to integrate CC fully into a design and give your store a truly unique identity.

Additionally your home page appears to not be valid XHTML and fails Section 508 accessiblity. I suspect it is due to the flash file. There are a few ways of creating valid flash markup especially using Javascript.

Guest lordbarron

Thanks for the constructive critique, you are totally right. I am quite a lazy skinner I did spend the majority of my time working on the front page and really forgot about the rest of the site. But I will take your advise and work on in it.

Additionally your home page appears to not be valid XHTML and fails Section 508 accessiblity. I suspect it is due to the flash file. There are a few ways of creating valid flash markup especially using Javascript.

you also mentioned this, and correcto it is the flash, I would like to solve this bug but I am clueless how, dreamweaver thought it could do it for me, turns out the flash stopped playing after dreamweaver got at the code. Any ideas, or places i could go to find how to make my code compliant? Cheers!!