Multiple stores 1 database

Guest toosquare

Guest toosquare

Hello,

I have read through the various multiple stores 1 db threads but want to see if I can get a clarification.

This is listed as a feature but from what I read it seems that the multiple stores 1 db means, you can put a different prefix on each store installation and have them all in one mysql database. This does not mean that the stores actually share any data? Is this correct?

Thanks

Yes and no. Yes, you can have multiple stores running out of one database using a prefix as you suggest.

You can also run multiple stores from the same database (just put in the same database name/user/path in the config file) and have them share data. HOWEVER, they would share ALL data, not just products, but orders, customers, etc. Most people wanting to do what you want to do, want to share products, but not share customers and order data among multiple stores.

As far as I know, no one has done a mod yet to share products, but split out orders and customers for different stores. So my suggestion is copy your products data from one store to another and copy the images, but use separate databases (or prefixes) for separate stores.

Just depends on what you want to share.

• 2 months later...
Guest webicon

@ glampkin - Yes as Mysty has said - provided that you are sharing ALL data within the database you can have multiple stores using the same database - even if they are at different domains, however, from experience i know that it works better if both of the domains are hosted on the same server as the database (so connection is localhost).

Well, not so fast.

Within the config table stashed in your store's database are two variables that are domain and/or subfolder dependent:

$config['rootRel_SSL']

$config['storeURL_SSL']

These are declared in the store's general settings but not stored in the "includes/global.inc.php" file as are the non-SSL versions of your addresses. Switch on the SSL setting in your "multiple stores using one set of tables" and it might break.

Guest FindBeads

What if you wanted to give an affiliate their own store, but you were going to process the orders yourself?

Or what if you were going to dropship for someone else? (tangible goods)

You would want the orders to come into one location, and affect one inventory. And if you changed/added a product, you'd want to do it once, but show up in the other store, too.

Amanda

• 5 weeks later...

OK. I've got a second. or third or fourth store. They are all tied to the same database using the preficx method.

Does this mean that automatically all of the products come up on all of the stores, without entering any products for the stores? Just connect to the DB and you have everything ready to go?

I understand you'll have to set up taxes, shipping, etc.

Does this apply to options, as well. Set up options in the intial store and they appear in all stores?

• 6 months later...
Guest Bonesddrummer

Does anyone know if you can have multiple stores each on a different domain sharing the same database?

If I have 2 stores running off the same database on the same server 9 one in a subdomain) how does this affect my admin area. Would I have two admin areas one for each store but product details being updated by either ?

OK. I've got a second. or third or fourth store. They are all tied to the same database using the preficx method.

Does this mean that automatically all of the products come up on all of the stores, without entering any products for the stores? Just connect to the DB and you have everything ready to go?

Does this apply to options, as well. Set up options in the intial store and they appear in all stores?

Any store with its own prefix in the database is effectively the same as having a different database for each store. The prefix is really just a method of hosting several stores on a hosting account that comes with 1 database. Data is NOT stored between the different stores.

Does anyone know if you can have multiple stores each on a different domain sharing the same database?

If I have 2 stores running off the same database on the same server 9 one in a subdomain) how does this affect my admin area. Would I have two admin areas one for each store but product details being updated by either ?

If you are truly running multiple stores on the same database, you could use any of the stores admin sections and it would access the same database.

Guest Bonesddrummer

If you are truly running multiple stores on the same database, you could use any of the stores admin sections and it would access the same database.

I had thought to try to come with a solution transparent to the CC code, but the furthest I got requires MySQL 5.1x which not a reliable requirement.

So, a change to the code is probably necessary. It should not be overly difficult - references to the CubeCart_config table is found in only nine statements.

Look for a write-up at CubeCartForums.org, Hacks and Tweaks.

• 6 months later...

OK, MySQL 5 seems stable.

So, how about this - One database, half a dozen stores, all mine so sharing customer data, etc no problem.

Then each store with a different skin and with a different language and or currency?

And be able to update exchange rate at each store daily, all based on USD in main store?

Guest repellnet

Any store with its own prefix in the database is effectively the same as having a different database for each store. The prefix is really just a method of hosting several stores on a hosting account that comes with 1 database. Data is NOT stored between the different stores.

I'm not clear on what is meant by a prefix. I would like to try my store under two different names and see if one draws more traffic than the other.