Guest wdstather

Guest wdstather

Hi

I have completed an update on my stores and would appreciate some feedback

I have used a stock template to give my stores a universal look and feel

www.pc-people.co.uk Changing Expectations

www.st-athersystems.com Quality by Design

Guest wdstather

Well im always dissapointed to see a stock design with some great affordable skins on the market.

You do need to look at your sites in Firefox as the middle content in so large that it knocks the right column out of the body and in any browser using under 1800 resolution there is a lot of right hand scrolling to do to see the right hand side of the page.

Thanks for the comments and I am Sorry you don't like it!!!

What is wrong with a stock design, why buy or create from scratch a new design when a stock one meets your needs. And besides, there are no Full Width computer related skins out there for Cubecart or am I looking in the wrong places:-)

I will look at the site under Firefox but the last time I looked, (yesterday) it was OK. I do have a large TFT though so maybe I can't see a prob as my resolution is quite high.

Guest wdstather

Well im always dissapointed to see a stock design with some great affordable skins on the market.

You do need to look at your sites in Firefox as the middle content in so large that it knocks the right column out of the body and in any browser using under 1800 resolution there is a lot of right hand scrolling to do to see the right hand side of the page.

Thanks for the comments and I am Sorry you don't like it!!!

What is wrong with a stock design, why buy or create from scratch a new design when a stock one meets your needs. And besides, there are no Full Width computer related skins out there for Cubecart or am I looking in the wrong places:-)

I will look at the site under Firefox but the last time I looked, (yesterday) it was OK. I do have a large TFT though so maybe I can't see a prob as my resolution is quite high.

I have now checked my sites out again from my Linux machine through Firefox and I get the same results as I do through IE from my windows box. may be you need to purchase a new monitor from my site, in fact if you buy one I will let you have a second one at the same price you paid for the first. :)

Guest dpage44

Steve68 is correct. I have a 19" LCD and anything over a 1024x768 the store looks fine, but at 1024x768 and less there is a horizontal scroll bar and the the right column is out of place. As I remember reading, most people use a 1024X768 resolution nowadays and a lot still use 800X600.

Guest wdstather

Steve68 is correct. I have a 19" LCD and anything over a 1024x768 the store looks fine, but at 1024x768 and less there is a horizontal scroll bar and the the right column is out of place. As I remember reading, most people use a 1024X768 resolution nowadays and a lot still use 800X600.

Thanks for the feedback, it really is appreciated,

I have dropped my resolution down to 1024x768 and yes you are correct, everything does look enormous, had to sit 6 feet away from the monitor, I appreciate that some people may well still be using old CRT monitors but hey that's why I am in business to hopefully sell them a shiny new TFT which works better at higher resolutions and is better for the environment and their electric bills.

I will play with the coding, see if I can set it to change with the resolution , I would still prefer to use 3 column if at all possible.

I have changed my skin for one I had originally built my site with, (Sherbet Lemon), is this better?

Guest wdstather

Thanks for the feedback, it really is appreciated,

I have dropped my resolution down to 1024x768 and yes you are correct, everything does look enormous, had to sit 6 feet away from the monitor, I appreciate that some people may well still be using old CRT monitors but hey that's why I am in business to hopefully sell them a shiny new TFT which works better at higher resolutions and is better for the environment and their electric bills.

I will play with the coding, see if I can set it to change with the resolution , I would still prefer to use 3 column if at all possible.

I have changed my skin for one I had originally built my site with, (Sherbet Lemon), is this better?

As it turns out the template is variable width and should now work in any browser and at any resolution. I have removed the Google Add which was stopping the site from adjusting to the right settings. :-)

Like others i do agree it is a real shame you have used a skin that isn't unique. Maybe you didnt have the time and just wanted to get your business running as quick as possible, hence why you used CC in the first place.

3 things that I would change:

1. The PayPal graphic at the bottom on the right hand side is in the wrong dimensions and it distorts the image slightly and doesn't make it as clear as it should be. Change it to the right dimensions.

2. Get rid of the Google Adwords, as you are advertising competitors who may use it to buy elsewhere and thats not the point in the store you have. You want to making money out of your actual products you are selling, not a measly click-thru commission.

3. Move your PC PEOPLE logo down a bit so it lines up nicely with the rest and not stuck in the corner.

Guest wdstather

Much better :)

Thankyou all for your comments, I realyy do appreciate the feedback , I have made one or two little changes, don't know if it's for the better but the store now works equally in IE6(shudder) and Firefox. I have also changed the skin. added search engine friendly mod, added changes to the shipping section in the admin and I am planning a couple more changes in the near future

Again, thanks for the feedback

Guest wdstather

Considerably better! There are still some browser issues though, particularly with the new bar you have created with Session and Search in. You appear to have created a table but not given that table a class which has resulted in considerably differences between IE6 and Firefox. You also havent styled the cart pages in the same way.

The original of XRed Skin is a great starting point and once you have ironed out those differences it will look great :)

Stevie68 thanks for that, I wanted to free up some space from the right to put some images in from suppliers about new product releases that is why I have moved the basket and the search up to the top. Maybe I should have moved the over to the left hand side, didn't want to spoil the balance though.

I will play some more....Good practice anyway and I certainly need that :on2long: