Almost finished...

Guest xceejayx

RubySohos.co.uk

what do you think?

don't be too harsh please :P

It's a clean and simple reskinning of Legend. That's a good choice from which to start because it displays well across various monitor settings.

A few suggestions.

Take out that big PayPal notice above your products. The smaller one below is more than adequate. Let your product thumbnails have that prime real estate.

Reduce the height of the box titles. They kind of overwhelm the page and distract from the products.

Reconsider the Google ads and banner ads for your competitors. Pulling traffic is one of the biggest problems faced by even the best designed store with the most appealing offerings. Why share your success with competitors? The pittance of one month's Google revenue from those ads cannot begin to equal the loss of profit that you may earn from just one sale of your own goods.

Good luck with your project

thankyou for the advice!

i will try and sort out some of the issues mentioned :(

Oh, I meant to suggest that you strive for uniformly sized thumbnails, especially on the home page. You can do that easily in Photoshop > Edit > Canvas Size > fill expanded area with neutral bg color to match exisitng.

Guest xceejayx

thankyou for the advice!

i will try and sort out some of the issues mentioned :(

Oh, I meant to suggest that you strive for uniformly sized thumbnails, especially on the home page. You can do that easily in Photoshop > Edit > Canvas Size > fill expanded area with neutral bg color to match exisitng.

ooh. would i just edit the actual thumbnails, or the large pictures? thanks

That depends.

For example, the home pages I create often are based on Category photos that are linked to the page for the category - and then the sub-cat.

A example of that approach is http://vikolya.com/

To do that, I did not simply use the thumbnails of the larger photos. I made a set of photos whose only purpose is to appear on the home page and as Category photos. For that reason, in Photoshop, they were made uniformly square and then tweaked to add a bit of 3-dimensions, a border and a drop shadow.

If ou could see the upload folder

When you click on a category (such as the one for jewelry stands) you are taken to a page of sub-categories of jewery stands. Unfortunately, the site owner has either forgotten or doesn't want to bother preparing the sub-category graphics in the same way. You can see that a few of the photos are those I created when I built the site - and then, as the product line has evolved, the owner has not prepared the more recent photos the way I taught her. So the layout is now kind of messy.

When I asked her why she allowed this messiness she explained that her sales were so strong (a dozen container loads a year from China) that "I don't have time for fooling with the photos. And the line changes every few months so it's just not worth the trouble to make nice graphics."

Here's a site (http://egameland.com) with a different approach. The site is under construction, awaiting customer-supplied materials. Therefore, the home page category photos are not linked to the sub-cats. But click on the menu item "Hardware" and you can see how it follows through on a subcat page through to a product such as Sony Playstation. To identify the source and properties of any of the photos, right click and choose "Properties."

Since you are not using categories on your home page, but going directly to products, you could get by with making all of the large photos a uniform size and then using their thumbnails.

The key to taking a set of rectangular photos and making then either square, or a uniform rectangular size, lies in using the "canvas size" tool in Photoshop. I'm not going to present a seminar here on how to that. But if you have experience with PS it's really not difficult.

Guest xceejayx

That depends.

For example, the home pages I create often are based on Category photos that are linked to the page for the category - and then the sub-cat.

A example of that approach is http://vikolya.com/

To do that, I did not simply use the thumbnails of the larger photos. I made a set of photos whose only purpose is to appear on the home page and as Category photos. For that reason, in Photoshop, they were made uniformly square and then tweaked to add a bit of 3-dimensions, a border and a drop shadow.

If ou could see the upload folder

When you click on a category (such as the one for jewelry stands) you are taken to a page of sub-categories of jewery stands. Unfortunately, the site owner has either forgotten or doesn't want to bother preparing the sub-category graphics in the same way. You can see that a few of the photos are those I created when I built the site - and then, as the product line has evolved, the owner has not prepared the more recent photos the way I taught her. So the layout is now kind of messy.

When I asked her why she allowed this messiness she explained that her sales were so strong (a dozen container loads a year from China) that "I don't have time for fooling with the photos. And the line changes every few months so it's just not worth the trouble to make nice graphics."

Here's a site (http://egameland.com) with a different approach. The site is under construction, awaiting customer-supplied materials. Therefore, the home page category photos are not linked to the sub-cats. But click on the menu item "Hardware" and you can see how it follows through on a subcat page through to a product such as Sony Playstation. To identify the source and properties of any of the photos, right click and choose "Properties."

Since you are not using categories on your home page, but going directly to products, you could get by with making all of the large photos a uniform size and then using their thumbnails.

The key to taking a set of rectangular photos and making then either square, or a uniform rectangular size, lies in using the "canvas size" tool in Photoshop. I'm not going to present a seminar here on how to that. But if you have experience with PS it's really not difficult.

i don't actually have photoshop! but i have another program that i'm sure i'll be able to do it in. Once again many thanks for the advice. i will change them asap! :(

Guest xceejayx

Very nice store, very unique and a lovely design.

Cool Products too :cry:

Thanks very much! I do try! hehe :blink: