Hosted product images?

Guest surfingart

Guest surfingart

Hi All

Is there a way to use images from the web for product descriptions rather than uploading images to the images folder.

I have a csv file with image locations eg http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/20...g_r_WTB_RGB.jpg

for the products and rather than save and upload images 100's & 100's is there a mod or hack (paid or otherwise) I can implement that will allow me to nominate the web location of the image and thumb image instead?

thanks in advance.

Peter

ps We are using Sir Williams csv upload mod.

Guest Rikki

Its probably possibly to mod but I would recommend not doing that as you have no control whatsover, plus a lot of sites forbid remote hot linking.

R.

I'm not sure what version of my mod you're using, but the newer versions support remote image retrieval. You should try upgrading.....it's free to existing users.

Guest surfingart

Thanks for the responses.

The images that I'm hoping to display are with the permission of the suppliers. We are running a drop shipping type of operation and all info is supplied on one csv file from multiple suppliers and therefore multiple web locations.

Would it be a big mod to have the image location able to be nominated as a web address and the thumbnail made from that on the fly?

thanks again

Peter

You don't want to use remotely hosted images as it WILL slow down page rendering. Same with on-the-fly thumbnail creation. It's a HORRIBLE idea to build thumbs on the fly. It's a huge server horsepower waste. And most hosting companies would boot you if you had any appreciable traffic.

Just food for thought. I also replied to your PM. Please contact me via e-mail if you have any other questions.

B)

Guest Rikki

Thanks for the responses.

The images that I'm hoping to display are with the permission of the suppliers. We are running a drop shipping type of operation and all info is supplied on one csv file from multiple suppliers and therefore multiple web locations.

Would it be a big mod to have the image location able to be nominated as a web address and the thumbnail made from that on the fly?

thanks again

Peter

Other problems include the fact your supplier might remove the images without telling you, their site might go down so your cart works but no images display only red X's etc etc.

All in all not a professional image if things go pear shaped.

Guest Brivtech

The solution to this is really simple:

First, you need the image URL. If you don't have it, but can view the image, right-click, and do Copy Image Location (I use Firefox).

Next, when you add a product, Select the Upload New Image option.

You'll get a pop-up, and don't enter anything, but click on Browse.

A File Upload window opens, and in the File name (Ignore the location, it makes no difference), right-click in the file name bar, and select paste. Then click Open.

There'll be a pause while the image uploads, and you'll be returned to the first pop-up. If you look at the file name that's entered, you'll see it's based at your computer, and no longer the image's URL. This is because the upload manager saves a copy to your internet browser cache, and uploads it from there.

So, click on Upload Image, and after a pause, your image will appear on the product page, where you can continue entering in product details.

You asked about Thumbnails - CubeCart automatically generates them when you upload images through the image manager, like I just described.

B)

That solution is not simple Brivtech....not when you're talking about many hundreds of products. Thankfully there is a 3rd party module involved which will retrieve his images for him, resize appropriately and create thumbnails all in one fell swoop. :P

B)

There is a mod to retrieve remote image (download and makes thumb) however not in mass but cubecart built-in :w00t:B)

What about minutes site building based on drop shipper XML feed? About 200 cats, 2500 products and 5000 images download+thumb (300-1500 kB orig image size) takes half an hour :D