Category filters

Guest Steve Berryman

Guest Steve Berryman

A site i am setting up at the moment will require a huge amount of categories unless there is some other way to do this. Basically its a shopt hat sells sheet music for music exams. Each piece can have various options - instrument and exam grade being the main two. But there are also two exam boards and a piece of music can be in different grades for both those exam boards!

The category structure i want is to be able to list all the pieces just by instrument, to be able to get to them by exam board, then grade, then instrument, or exam board then instrument, then grade.

There are 8 grades for each board, and around 20 instruments. This equates to around 700 categories in the tree i described. It would be nice to be able to specify a piece to be for an instrument, and then a grade for each board (or none, if it isnt used for one board), and then have the categories listed from that - so you can say "list all products that are for trumpet" and from there say "filter just the ABRSM board" and from there "filter grade 1 music"

Is this possible? is it a lot of work? I have experience programming but i thought i would ask here before attempting it!

There are probably a variety of ways that this can be accomplished. One way that comes to mind is to use Product Options for some of the choices.

You say that a single piece of sheet music can fit into different grades for each of the two exam boards. This suggests to me that using product options may simplify things. By using keywords in your product descriptions, you can make it easy for your customers to find what they are looking for by using the search function within CC.

You could also set up the category structure as you laid out. A single product can belong to multiple categories, so that's not a problem. As far as I know, however, categories can either be root categories, or subcategories with a single parent category. In other words, a subcategory can only belong to a single category.

There are probably other solutions too, with a little creative thinking.