PHPSuEXEC- should I be concerned?

Guest groovejuice

Guest groovejuice

I just received notice from my host (Hostgator) that all their servers will soon be updated from mod_php servers to PHPSuEXEC. I am worried that CC will not function correctly in this environment.

Some of the limitations are:

- If a file or directory is writable by others, it will produce an error since this would be an insecure execution of the file.

- PHP values in your htaccess files are not supported, you must put your custom PHP settings in a php.ini file, or else you will receive an error.

- If your account is using over 25 processes, 100MB or more per PHP thread, or exceeds a 30 second execution time, you will receive an Internal Server Error.

Apparantly, during the upgrade .htaccess files will be automtically rewritten.

Will this non-Apache environment cause problems with CC?

Hello, we haven't tested it on this environment but we have made changes in v4 concerning filer permissions. Instead of specifying a value it will look to see if the file/folder is writable or not.

If there are any issues we will work to make sure they are patched.

Guest groovejuice

Thanks for the reassurance Al. I understand that this environment is much more secure for those with shared hosting (most everyone who uses CC, I think). I will certainly let you know if there are CC related hiccups with PHPSuEXEC.

There are likely tens if not hundreds of CC users on Hostgator, so your diligence is very appreciated. ;)

Guest EverythingWeb

Will this non-Apache environment cause problems with CC?

Please note, this isn't a 'non-Apache' environment at all. mod_php and phpSuExec are just two different ways that the PHP parser is configured into Apache. Apache is still the web-server daemon underneath.

Htaccess files would still apply for things such as Rewrites etc as these are apache-specific functions ;)

Guest targabuff

Hello, we haven't tested it on this environment but we have made changes in v4 concerning filer permissions. Instead of specifying a value it will look to see if the file/folder is writable or not.

If there are any issues we will work to make sure they are patched.

Do you mean patches related to version 3.14? My understanding is that 4.0 is not released yet with no date confirmed.

Guest EverythingWeb

v4 Beta is *right* around the corner :)

I think, although I'm sure Devellion will confirm, that they mean v4 will be patched to make sure it works. I'd be surprised if actually the script fails completely under phpSuExec - I'd hazard an educated guess that most peoples problems will come from php_flag's in htaccess and 777 permissions. Yes, there will probably be some extraneous errors on the admin side, but nothing that should cause too much of an issue. Like I say, educated guesses :)

Guest Brivtech

Back to 3.0.x:

If the main issue here is the installation, due to the file permissions, then surely, an empty store could be set u on an altrnative server, and the files and database simply copied across - Obviously, with the configuration tweaks made so the system knows where it's at?