Installing CC on a USB Thumb Drive using EasyPHP

jerseyjoe

This is a tutorial on installing a CubeCart store on a local device. It's actually much easier to do than the length of these instructions suggest.

Examples of local devices include a USB thumb drive and the hard disk of a computer that is not connected to the Internet. While the immediate use of these instructions is for a CC store, they also apply to all server-based scripts that require an Apache server and a MySQL database, MyPHPadmin and PHP, such as forums, guest books, etc.

That installation will allow development and customizing and testing of every aspect of the CC store without the need for an Internet connection. Also, it will allow a CC developer to show off various stores by plugging a thumb drive into any handy PC.

Disclaimer: this tutorial is provided without charge or warranty of any kind. I have no expertise or special knowledge of any of the issues that are involved. Therefore, while I have made every effort of which I am capable to be accurate and complete, and can report that I have my own installations that are based on this tutorial, your use of this tutorial is your own responsibility.

DOWNLOAD EasyPHP 1.8

The current version can be downloaded from either

SourceForge

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=14045

The program's source also offers a 2.0 beta . . .

EasyPHP (1.8 or 2.0beta)

http://www.easyphp.org/telechargements.php3

Note - I haven't tried 2.0 beta.

INSTALLING EasyPHP

Unzip the download and install EasyPHP on the drive and directory where you will be using it.

For example, if you want to develop your CC store on your computer's HD without having an Internet connection, unzip to something like C:\Program Files\EasyPHP1-8 (That's the default.)

As an alternative, plug in your USB thumb drive and complete the installation there in a directory you create for the purpose. At the moment, on the computer I'm using, that would be F:\EasyPHP.

The installation script will give you the option of a link icon on your desktop and/or tray. If you install on a removable USB drive, you will not see that icon. Of course, with your USB drive plugged in, you can launch EasyPHP directly by going to the folder and clicking on easyphp.exe.

The EasyPHP Control Panel

Heres the beautifully simple Control Panel that pops up when you launch it.

screenshot_easyphp.jpg

The Apache server and MySOL will start automatically. Just wait a few seconds until the popup tells you both are "started."

Click on the lower PHP logo (the one next to the Apache button) to open a drop down menu of Help, Configuration, etc.

Before you go further, note that there is a folder in your PHP installation named "www." You eventually will install your CubeCart store in this folder.

screenshot_directory.jpg

Temporarily close EasyPHP just to get it out of the way while you install your store.

INSTALLING CUBECART (or any similar script)

Download the current version of CC into whichever folder you normally use and unzip it.

Copy the "upload" folder into the PHP's www folder. Do that for the entire upload folder, NOT JUST THE CONTENTS of the upload folder.

Rename .../www/upload to anything you wish, such as ..../www/store or ..../www/cc

Now reopen EasyPHP.

Click on the lower of the two EasyPHP logos.

screenshot_drop-down.jpg

A DropDown menu of EasyPHP controls will open.

RANT: This para may be ignored. Frankly, the Help is useless. Aside from the fact that it is French, an otherwise lovely language, those so-called Help instructions are written by the programmer - something that should not be allowed in *any* language. Programmers "instructions" usually include whole swaths of assumptions and omissions, based upon their own expertise, as to what everyone else knows. (Present company excepted - and please understand I am still suffering from my 1981 encounter with the Microsoft manual for DOS. I was a child of only 48 years at the time and it was a traumatic event that caused damage lasting to this very day.)

We now return you to your program in progress . . .

In the drop down menu, click on "Local Web F-7"

Your default browser will open to a default EasyPHP page.

screenshot_local-browser.jpg

Note that you are offered a link to:

www/cc

Click on "cc" (the letters of the label, not the folder). The CubeCart Installation script will start.

Proceed to install your CubeCart store just as if you were doing it onto a server. At the end of that, you may open the store from here as you normally would.

To re-open your store in the future, you must first re-launch the EasyPHPControl Panel, click on the lower logo to get the dropdown menu, select Local Web F-7 and click on the link in the www folder.

That's it. Corrections and suggestions for clarification are welcome.

Very good tutorial. After installing CC16, it is not calling up my database which has already got my product items. The following is the code I copied from the global.inc.php which calls up the database.

<?php

$glob['dbdatabase'] = 'qbktgwai_store';

$glob['dbhost'] = 'localhost';

$glob['dbpassword'] = '';

$glob['dbprefix'] = '';

$glob['dbusername'] = 'root';

$glob['installed'] = '1';

$glob['rootDir'] = 'c:\\\\program files\\\\easyphp1-8\\\\www\\\\upload';

$glob['rootRel'] = '/upload/';

$glob['storeURL'] = 'http://127.0.0.1/upload';

?>

Could the problem be related that my sql file is not located in the right directory. I have checked that the sql database is in the following directory: C:\Program Files\EasyPHP1-8\mysql\data

My second question is that I have already got my files, which were created in the early version CC12. Having created CC16 in my local machine, how do I reflect my pages in CC16.

• 2 months later...
Guest Foo-Wing

Hi,

This is a great idea allowing me to work on mods and skins without an internet connection.

But I need to know how to setup the database with this? Or does it do it for you when you install cubecart?

Thanks

Foo-Wing LI

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Skykid

Hi,

This is a great idea allowing me to work on mods and skins without an internet connection.

But I need to know how to setup the database with this? Or does it do it for you when you install cubecart?

Thanks

Foo-Wing LI

Did anyone figure this out?! What's the point of having an offline 'test' version if you need to own webspace to set it up anyway (i.e to fill in the database details?)

I have no idea what to set up in the database sections!

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Guest Charles2005

Hi,

Does anyone know of any similar program for Mac OSX?

Tkx

Pardon__Me

Mac OSX already has Apache and PHP already installed. I don't remember if MySQL is installed already or not but there is a site(don't remember the address) that has a program to install MySQL for you. In order to use Apache/PHP you have to Enable Personal Web Sharing.

I haven't installed CubeCart on my Mac Locally before but it should work.

P.S. Great Thread!!

Hi,

Like others before me I am receiving the

"1045: Access denied for user 'user_cubecart'@'localhost' (using password: YES)" Error

Im hesitant to ask this, as I've seen this issue in both of the other thumb drive installation threads, but as this is using easyphp I wasn't sure what might be happening differently. I have spent the last 2 hours trying it over and over and reading through threads. All info on the 1045 error seems to apply to cpanel Mysql..

I have followed the instructions up to configuring cubebcart. At step 3 of 5 I enter the following information...

install.jpg

Then on the following screen I get the error

MySQL

1045: Access denied for user 'user_cubecart'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

To assist the contents of my 'global.inc.php' file match the info I entered on the above screenshot, including the passwords. The contents on the global.inc.php file are;

<?php

$glob['dbdatabase'] = 'cubecart';

$glob['dbhost'] = 'localhost';

$glob['dbpassword'] = 'password';

$glob['dbprefix'] = '';

$glob['dbusername'] = 'user_cubecart';

$glob['installed'] = '1';

$glob['rootDir'] = 'F:\\\\EasyPhP\\\\www\\\\cubecart';

$glob['rootRel'] = '/cubecart/';

$glob['storeURL'] = 'http://127.0.0.1/cubecart';

?>

To assist those who are surely to come after me can someone please enlighten me on where I have gone wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Mart.

The problem is a totally inadequate GUI in cPanel that - as I have said before - is an object lesson in the pitfalls of allowing programmers to write instructions or design user interfaces. Their superior knowledge leads to the assumption that everyone else knows what is required. In simple terms, this is called "arrogance."

The cPanel interface for creating a database is perhaps one of the worst ever. It would be greatly improved by the simple addition of a numerical sequence label next to each of the FOUR buttons. The problem is that the FOURTH step in creating a new Db is not obvious.

Here's the cure:

http://buildinghosting.com/CC_Step3_cure.htm

Hope this helps.

Hi jerseyjoe,

Unless I'm mistaken I don't use Cpanel when installing on my thumb drive. Cpanel is just for administering my online services..? right?

The issue I have raised here came about after trying to install on my thumb drive for offline editing of my skin.

Hi jerseyjoe,

Unless I'm mistaken I don't use Cpanel when installing on my thumb drive. Cpanel is just for administering my online services..? right?

The issue I have raised here came about after trying to install on my thumb drive for offline editing of my skin.

Well, sort of. No matter if you are installing on an Internet server or your local server (which Easy PHP and other tools provide) you still need to create the database properly and completely.

The point of my post is that the error message is caused by a failure to do the essential last step of creating the Db.

That must be done either using the MySql tool in cPanel or the tool that is included in the EasyPHP package.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Brivtech

I'm having a problem with this. I just installed easyPHP onto Windows Vista (New laptop), and when I run it, I get a message:

Apache2

Apache cannot be runned : another Web server use the Web port or port is blocked by firewall.

Any suggestions? (for the resolution, not the spelling)

Guest Brivtech

I simply couldn't get this to work with Vista.

I've tried about half a dozen different WAMP/LAMP loader things like this, all come up with Apache server errors on Vista. Apparenty, it's an issue that Microsoft have yet to resolve. It also doesn't have Skype instaled, because aparently this uses the same port and subsequently causes more problems wen running with Apache.

So, I tried JSAS, and it worked.

I'm now having bother installing CC4 onto it (License key errors) but that's a different problem for a different forum section.

• 4 weeks later...

does this allow you to take the pen drive and shove it in any pc and Run?

Reason bieng i am trying to make an offline catalog on pen drive, it would be useful to make a version of my store on pen drive.

does this allow you to take the pen drive and shove it in any pc and Run?

Reason bieng i am trying to make an offline catalog on pen drive, it would be useful to make a version of my store on pen drive.

I doubt that trying it would blow up your computer. Why not try it and let us know if it works?

• 2 months later...

Im going to try this myself today but it would be great if I can have some feedback from anyone who can give me an update on this thread... its been a long time since anyone else has replied to all this.

TIA :)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for the great info Jerseyjoe, it helped me get everything going ....

but now when I try to install CC v4.3.1-pl1 I only get as far as step 3, I fill in all the info there and click on continue to step 4 and all I get is a blank screen.

The address at the top of the page is http://127.0.0.1/CC/setup/install.php?step=4&l=en

and at the bottom of the page it says Done, otherwise just a blank page :unsure::unsure:

If I try to go to the store URL http://127.0.0.1/CC it takes me back to the begining of the install

Not sure if this has something to do with a message I get on the phpMyAdmin page - Your PHP MySQL library version 5.0.51a differs from your MySQL server version 5.1.30. This may cause unpredictable behavior.

And one other question please :on2long: - hope this is the right place for it - I dont see an option for setting up South African Rands when I am in step 3, will I be able to set that up later?

• 7 months later...

The problem is a totally inadequate GUI in cPanel that - as I have said before - is an object lesson in the pitfalls of allowing programmers to write instructions or design user interfaces. Their superior knowledge leads to the assumption that everyone else knows what is required. In simple terms, this is called "arrogance."

The cPanel interface for creating a database is perhaps one of the worst ever. It would be greatly improved by the simple addition of a numerical sequence label next to each of the FOUR buttons. The problem is that the FOURTH step in creating a new Db is not obvious.

Here's the cure:

Hope this helps.

I am trying to load it all on a 'stick' but come up with the same error message. The link above is 404'ed. Does anyone have the current location or a copy they could email me direct?

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the cure:

Hope this helps.

I am trying to load it all on a 'stick' but come up with the same error message. The link above is 404'ed. Does anyone have the current location or a copy they could email me direct?

Dave

Thanks for email Jerseyjoe. Have googled for CC_Step3 and searched site but cannot find. Have semi installed on stick but get to '3' and the page then fills with:-

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in J:\EasyPHP5.3.0\www\upload\includes\ini.inc.php on line 76

Am trying to install CC3.016 via EasyPHP5.0.1

Can you or anyone help please

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the cure:

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks for email Jerseyjoe. Have googled for CC_Step3 and searched site but cannot find. Have semi installed on stick but get to '3' and the page then fills with:-

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in J:\EasyPHP5.3.0\www\upload\includes\ini.inc.php on line 76

Am trying to install CC3.016 via EasyPHP5.0.1

Can you or anyone help please

I have come across another problem on the stick. I get the following when emails should be sent:-

Warning: mail(): Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in j:\easyphp1-8\www\rspb\classes\htmlMimeMail.php on line 704

How do I overcome this?