Switching from CS-Cart to Cube, but I got a major concern

Guest woody1

Guest woody1

Hey everyone, I own a very successful online store that currently uses CS-Cart, I like the software, but changing the design is limited to the 5-7 premade themes or paying wayyy too much money for a custom due to all the nested tables blah blah. Heres my issue, my store is at the root level of the domain, how can I setup cube and replace the old store with ZERO downtime, I cant afford to be down at all.

Is there some way to do it locally on my PC? My store has 100's of products and it will take atleast 1 week to get a fully working cube store up and running, what do I do?

Thanks Much

Woody

Hi Woody. You can do it locally. I use JAS (Joomla Server) for this. When you go live, you'll have a few database changes to make but nothing major.

Respectfully, JSAS as a of a short while ago, has become somewhat obsolete. The complexities of JSAS can be avoided using EasyPHP.

See the thread.

Installing CC on a USB Thumb Drive Using EasyPHP

Also, to avoid the tedium of installing those 100s of products, assuming your current shopping cart is based on MySQL, you can export the database to a spreadsheet, map the file to the CC database, and inmport it into CC.

Like wise you could do a bulk upload of your product images to CC.

The video tutorials in the Help Desk (Click "Support" above) will be helpful and there is an excellent Documentation project under rapid construction over on the professional support web site "www.cubecartforums.org" That same web site offers both free and paid tools for using a spreadsheet to populate your CC.

Good luck

It's much quicker to just use the one installation in a subdirectory, remove CS Cart when ready, and move your subdirectory CubeCart to the root. Then just alter the global.inc.php file.

More info can be found here in the docs.

It's much quicker to just use the one installation in a subdirectory, remove CS Cart when ready, and move your subdirectory CubeCart to the root. Then just alter the global.inc.php file.

More info can be found here in the docs.

Thats exactly what i was saying Robsta :blink:

Actually you said to install it in a subdirectory, then to install it again in the root. The method I suggested was to 'move' the files to the root, ie one installation not two ;)

Guest woody1

OK let me say thanks alot thus far, let me simplify this in my own words, coming from an engine builder not a server guy :blink:

Full install in domain.com/cube

Build the store, images, mods and all, then just delete CS from the root, and move all the contents of /cube into the root and change the config to reflect the root? Did I just retype what you guys already told me? ;)

Guest woody1

I have only 1 issue at the present with CS and its the design, and I am not about to pay through the nose for a custom design when I think they should have thought out the design characteristics of it much more thoroughly. I talked to a few people capable of doing a custom and the price tag was just ludicrous. Frankly thats the only reason I am switching, it handle my 40k a month in sales just dandy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest degsey69

I am presently working on a site using cs cart.

It is an amazing piece of software, it takes longer to load, but is packed full of features from the word go.

It can be skinned, it is a bit tedious and not as easy as CubeCart, but there are some amazing sites out there.

Downside is that it is only custom skins and they cost a lot, major mods are done by cs cart themselves in the main, but they can be shared by the buyer to other interested parties.

CubeCart 4 is looking interestingly similar is someways to cs cart especialy with the modular mods.

Still both pieces of software are amazing and have great forums for support.

Degsey