UK Floods

Guest Brivtech

Guest Brivtech

Here, by Hampton Court Palace, South West of London, there's been some rain, but we've certainly escaped the worst of the rain, and flooding - The pictures I'm seeing on TV look terrible.

Anyone had a bad experience with this? Any pictures?

Guest xceejayx

Here, by Hampton Court Palace, South West of London, there's been some rain, but we've certainly escaped the worst of the rain, and flooding - The pictures I'm seeing on TV look terrible.

Anyone had a bad experience with this? Any pictures?

i live on a very big hill :blink:

Guest EverythingWeb

Yup - up here in Lincolnshire we've been hit as one of the worse affected. :blink:

Luckily, I've not been personally affected, but about 0.5 mile away from me, the houses have been mildly affected. I say mildly, because compared to some of the flooding in nearby Lincoln, Louth and Horncastle, what I've seen around me has been small.

Problem with being in the area we are, we're very agricultural. Lots of big open expanses of field with a fair few rivers & drains. Well, no longer. Now there's just big open expanses of water!!

I remember about 5 years ago our waterways had sustained flooding for around 3 weeks which was terrible, but luckily it only affected the waterways and not city centres and villages like this time.

Some interesting photos for anyone wishing to see what we're dealing with up here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lincolnshire/content/...r_gallery.shtml

Hi Everything,

5 years ago, I spent lots of time on a printing project at LinPac Sacks in Horncastle - It's very flat there, good job, as the company car was loaded with kit.

Horncastle was a ghost town on a tuesday night, everywhere shut early :-(

I hope the weather tails off for you guys soon. The BBC site reports 4 dead. It very sad that flooding is still a big problem.

Jason

Guest EverythingWeb

Hi Jason,

I know LinPac sacks quite well as it happens, as I was once invited and went for a tour round their factory - many moons ago, mind you!! And I believe one of our team here also used to do some web-work for them about 8-9 years ago. Certainly an interesting place!

The most activity Horncastle used to see in a night were the group of around 10-12 louts hanging around the bus shelter and market place. Luckily I dont have much really to do with that area any more so dont have to travel there, but with quite a few friends over that way, it's been worrying to say the least, hearing some of the stories!! Tesco's there is rather flooded as it stands about 50ft from the river that runs through the town.

Looks like the local Loss Adjusters will be having their work cut out over the next few weeks.

And yes, it's extremely sad to hear of the deaths caused by such conditions.

I live in York ,which normaly gets hammered when the floods come as its where the foss and ouse join (which you will all know if you listened in your history class), but suprisingly we have just had the normal floods which happens a couple of times a year anyway.

Suprisingly theres no flooding yet in the suburbs though.

In my job I cover an area from Scarborough to Hull to Sheffield to Leeds to Skipton to York and everything inbetween and have to say that Sheffield has taken a real beating, the pics on telly realy are no exaggaration of the terrible events of the past couple of days.

Guest EverythingWeb

I was talking to someone day before yesterday from Sheffield, who phoned his insurance company, to discuss making a claim for damage to his property, and the woman at the ins. call centre's response to him was "We'll have to check the weather reports"

He asked whether she watched the news - she replied 'well, sometimes'. So he then asked her how many people she knew that normally used helicopters to get to home and back! She kept claiming they would need to check the weather reports. Unbelievable. Still, typical insurance companies - anything to wriggle out of paying!!

Guest Brivtech

Photographic evidence has helped me in the past when dealing with insurance companies.

There's been some areas I've seen flooded on the news that didn't get much rain - The flooding came from rain in other areas.

EDIT - Weather forecast is lots more rain!