All Star Bowling Website - Please help us de-bug

markscarts

This site seems to not be working for certain systems, I'm not sure what all the problems are. I have just noticed the IE peekaboo bug prevents the product list from showing when viewing some categories, so planning to fix that right now.

PLEASE check this site out, and a big thank you to anyone/everyone who has time to look thoroughly at many pages. All comments are welcome. I'd be glad to discuss anything about the site. What I am most interested in, though, is "where are any problems?" with this site, and what browser are you using to view it . . .

Thanks,

Mark

http://www.allstarbowling.com

I just cleared up the IE peekaboo bug on category page, still combing over this site myself.

Site has been live for a couple of weeks now, and some customers have complained to the site owner about bugs, but I don't know where they all might be specifically :)

Guest groovejuice

Another beautiful and well constructed store, Mark. The main problem I found that persists in IE6 and IE7 is the top nav bar pushes down the "checkout" button to the next line, leaving an extra "blank" at the end of the top line. This is especially apparant in the site docs where the first line is covered by the button. More minor issues that are visible in both are:

- the 3 graphics below the main box on the right side are not right-aligned to the border as they are in FF. appearing in a stepped configuration

-the text inside the "login" button is too large to fit

In IE6 the vertical spacing between product boxes are greater than in the other browsers

HTH

merrick

The main problem I found that persists in IE6 and IE7 is the top nav bar pushes down the "checkout" button to the next line, leaving an extra "blank" at the end of the top line. This is especially apparant in the site docs where the first line is covered by the button.

OMG Merrick, I cannot reproduce that issue :w00t:

I have checked it in IE6 and IE7 on multiple pages and no problem with the nav bar at all, this is what frustrates hell out of me, cuz it's tough to fix problems that I can't see :)

I am using desktops, both running XP sp2, and IE6 on one with 7 on the other.

What type of system are you viewing on?

And please, anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks for pointing out the other issues, I can see the stepped images and will tweak it

Guest groovejuice

How odd Mark! I'm running the browsers on a notebook under XP sp2 with resolution at 1440 x 900. By the way the nav bar issue is visible to me on CC3biz also (CC banners button).

I've run into these issues also from time to time and it is perplexing and frustrating to say the least. Sometimes when I can't find a suitable fix, I use a work around, like adding a top-margin or even a line break to move text down. Hardly elegant, I'm afraid, but better than nothing. If you make adjustments to the nav bar, please let me know and I'll be happy to check. This is likely a case of "teaching your granny to suck eggs" and please forgive me if it is, but perhaps a reduction of the width of #menu ul ?

Merrick, I think you are right, but I cannot test this since I cannot see the problem. Best way would be to hook up with you live on IM if possible so I can test some resolutions. Meantime, if you could check to see if the bug persists at the development store, I would appreciate it, http://www.allstarbowling.com/devStore/

That installation may be missing some stuff and be buggy in general, not to worry, but I am interested in knowing if the top navbar behaves differently now.

Thanks. Mark

PM sent with IM info

Guest Brivtech

I'd say that it needs a little polishing off in terms of the category display, and sub-menu items (They're a bit of a let down, after seeing the beautiful top level category options).

I also think that it's a little busy, you don't really know where to look first...

... That's all I got on the bad, it's a wonderfully eye-catching design, bright, professional, great potential. I like it! :w00t:

Guest fullt

I'm using IE6 (and dialup) and I didn't have any problems. The homepage loaded within 20 seconds which is fast for such a busy page. I added a few items to my cart which I took as far as the registration page still no problems.

The only thing I noticed is on all the pages there is a checkout button underneath the helpdesk button that looks out of place. I get more of a half blank at the end, not a whole blank like groovejuice.

Other than that it looks awesome!

Guest brooklynside

mark,

thanks for the quick help. i have no idea what an ie peekaboo is but it sounds like something

you could get arrested for in some areas. the pages now come up but the no. of balls listed on

main page does not match up ie. 4 dynothanes only 2 on page. 32 ebonites only 22 on page.

may be carryover prob from other site. also, i cannot log in as before on other site. this makes me

think that the registrations from the other site were not carried forward and may be as simple as

reregistering. let me know.

thanks

bill

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback :D

I got interrupted on this project today, had to go to town, and when I returned I had no internet connectivity :)

I connect via satellite, and the problem here is thunderstorms ~ you can read in the news about all the flooding around Dallas/Fort Worth Texas recently, it's been horrible. But I digress . . . :w00t:

@ brooklynside, thank you for registering. I appreciate the feedback, and want Joe's site to be right for him and his customers. I was pretty sure the peekaboo issue was the main prob you were having there. Category counts are off; this is not due to design but strange inventory stuff, the fix for it is simple (thanks to Sir William here) I will get it straight for you. I am not sure about the login problem, this should not be an issue as the same database info is there from the old site. I'll send an email regarding that with some instructions for the right place to contact me about it, and we'll find what's wrong.

@Brivtech, thank you for the criticisms, though nothing much will be done about the general "busy-ness" of the site itself, I am persuaded to get with the owner and do something about the subcategory appearance. I know exactly what you mean, it is the giant boxes with smallish logos in the subcategory list. By way of explanation, there are two areas where subcategories have large images, on these pages:

http://www.allstarbowling.com/index.php?ac...Cat&catId=3

http://www.allstarbowling.com/index.php?ac...at&catId=52

When designing the site, I made subcat containers large enough for those subcats, at the expense of all the other subcats on the site. Alternatives would be 1. To make the height of subcat containers liquid, which I never do here because the float property will ruin the display even worse when the heights vary among subcats on a page, 2. Code different display options for certain categories into viewCat.inc.php, which is a lot of extra workand generally not a good idea in case any cats are deleted in the furutre . . . basically this options takes away from the dynamic way CubeCart works (but I am using it at this site presently in development :)http://www.mp3downloadsales.com ), 3. Work with the client to standardize the size and appearance of subcats throughout the store.

Obviously, the third option is what I need to do. This design included quite a few new mods in development, and the area you mentioned, subcat appearance, wasn't as great a priority with me during developmennt as it should have been. As always, the devil is in the details :)

Thanks all for your help on this one.

Mark

@fullt, I am thrilled to hear the page loads quickly :)

Thanks for the heads up on the misplaced button; I have resolved that problem at the development site and will incorporate an IE-specific fix for it at the live site right away. By the way, I really need to know what you are viewing this with, you said IE which I would have known, but is this a laptop of desktop pc? Also, which OS, win 2K, XP, Vista or something else? So far only one other has had this, running IE on XP in a notebook. I can't see the problem on my desktops at all, see above posts about this.

Guest Brivtech

I got interrupted on this project today, had to go to town, and when I returned I had no internet connectivity :)

I had 2 weeks without internet recently, it was hell. So, I now have broadband over copper wire, and broadband over cable, they run on different systems, so, if an echange goes down, I shouldn't be affected. This was the third time in 2 years, I've had a similar experience. Now, not only have I got a more stable connection, but witha dual WAN router, I have wonderful connection speeds.

you can read in the news about all the flooding around Dallas/Fort Worth Texas recently, it's been horrible. But I digress . . . :w00t:

Perhaps we should start building an ark, seems lots of places are being flooded, like much of the UK.