Bye Cubecart

Guest guyroberts

Guest guyroberts

Hi Guys

It's been fun, but I'm saying goodbye to Cubecart after 2years. I have created 5 successful stores, but they have all been with their difficulties and I have reached the point where I was ready to go live with my latest store and have run into problems that no-one can help me with.

The next best think is Zen Cart or CRE Loaded due to their template systems - although not as easy to skin as CC, they are more reliable.

Thanks for all of your help in the past and sorry you could not help me with the latest.

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy,

it sounds like you've got problems with the Pear set-up on your server. Reading your prev posts, it looks like a server problem.

You do have the option of paying Devilon for support - or visiting the 3rd party forums and asking one of the experienced coders there to assist - I've done this for a PayPal issue last year.

I do feel that if your hosting company can make a change that breaks your store, you'll contiune to have problems. Obviously sometimes things go wrong, but a cPanel update shouldn't mess up CubeCart - if it did, these forums would be swamped with people complaining (myself included!)

If your store is about to go live, surely a better solution would be to move hosts to somewhere that is known to work well with CC. Restarting with Zen/CRE will take quite a bit of time, and the recent problems you've seen could appear again.

Obviously, if you've only just started, you've got little to lose - and perhaps Zen/CRE are worth looking at.

If Zen/Cre uses Pear, you could also have the same problem..

Jason

Guest guyroberts

Hi Jason

I know what you mean, but I have just had so many problems and once I overcome one, I get another! It just feels like I'm constantly trying to fix things.

I have backup up the whole store and wiped the slate clean ready to start again, but in one last attempt, I re-installed CC 3.0.16 and set up the basic configuration to see if payment worked on a clean install.

... it did...

So it looks like it's not a hosting problem, it's a bug somewhere in the site. The problem is, it will be something like looking for a needle in a haystack to find what the problem is - and my worry is no-one seems to know about the problem so I'm not confident it will be an easy resolve.

I'm just seeing if I can restore from previous backups to see if I can find when it all went wrong. I would save me a hell of a lot of headaches!

Guest Brivtech

I have just had so many problems and once I overcome one, I get another! It just feels like I'm constantly trying to fix things.

This was exactly my position when I was testing some of the other systems in past years. At the end of the day, you should use a system that you are comfortable with, and meets your expectations. No-one has a gun to your head to use a particular host, or software system.

My own personal experiences made me arrive at the conclusion that CubeCart was the best structured and most easily adaptable system suited to my needs. I've had my fair share of problems with CubeCart in the past, but nothing that couldn't be resolved with a little effort, and certainly nothing on the scale of problems that I experienced with other systems.

I think the point about hosting is important, I don't use the one referred to in the above post, mine has a slightly different configuration, that has in the past caused some problems of their own, however, I'm happy because the benefits of the solutions I've found far outweight any time spent in resolving these problems in the first place.

Good luck in solving your problems, whatever path you may wish to choose.

Keep in mind that CubeCart V4 has been nearly completely rewritten from the ground up. Most all the payment modules have been or are being rewritten too. This is a good thing. You may want to hold off a bit before abandoning ship.

On another note, since you are a paid customer, have you contacted Devellion support with your issues? The guys are usually very good at solving problems. However if your issues arise from 3rd party mods, you'll likely need to hire a programmer to find & fix your issues.

Either way, best of luck to you!

;)

Guest guyroberts

Hi Guys

After entering the realms of Zen and others, you see how good what you have already got, is!

I have stuck with it, and it seems my host had a customer include_path which caused the problem I was having.

Now this site is ready, and it's pure CC all the way!

I'm looking forward to V4, might download the beta now.

When's the release date?

Glad to hear you're sticking with it, and your hosting company sorted it out in the end.

Al is aiming for end of August - they're in the process of arranging a full security audit of CC.

You should apply for a Beta License, which will allow you to test it in your hosting enviroment - you can't use it to replace your existing CC store (so install on a subdomain)

Jason

Guest guyroberts

Glad to hear you're sticking with it, and your hosting company sorted it out in the end.

Al is aiming for end of August - they're in the process of arranging a full security audit of CC.

You should apply for a Beta License, which will allow you to test it in your hosting enviroment - you can't use it to replace your existing CC store (so install on a subdomain)

Jason

How do you apply for a beta licence?