Languages

Guest Brivtech

Guest Brivtech

While I appreciate that Al wants to get professional translations done on the languages, is there any chance of being provided with the installation module for a language?

I'd be happy for a "Beta-test English" language, so we can at least fiddle around with the alternative language file and check things out on it. It would also be better to provide this now at Beta testing than to discover unknown bugs when you release it with a release version later.

Anyone else agree?

Agreed on the above... however:

I propose a vote on alternative languages that really need to be added..

Howabout:

Elmer Fudd, Swedish Chef, Gansta, Chav (probably not relevant to non-UK peeps here), txt spk and I'm sure Star Trek geeks will want Klingon.

Jason

Guest Brivtech

:homestar: Gosh, that could start an almost endless list of alternative languages - Like phpBB!

On a side note, I suppose that people making their own customisations through the new built-in languages editor could then issue them afterwards.

Even more of a reason to find out from Al or Martin whats required to compile a language package for the module installer. I don't suppose anyone here actually knows the specifics at all?

Hi Brivtech,

I was half-serious - some "fun" stores would probably use some mad languages as a promotional tool :-)

If Al is planning on getting professional translation done, would he be planning on charging extra for these extra languages?

The new ability to edit languages is nice and easy (I have been removing some of the Americanisms from the CC3 English Language).

I don't think there has been much info released on the modules ...yet.. - although there is a 3rd party test module out in ccf.org

Jason

Doesn't the v4 language system work the same as v3? with the exception of the one file being split into many? It was easy to add new languages with v3, I can't see v4 being any different.

Built-in lang editor there, cache system involved. Any lang section has own file and track in DB if there are some changes using lang editor. Good start point to make language exporter/builder ;)

Guest Brivtech

I understand there's the built in language editor, but that doesn't allow me to create a language translation - There is only one language installed into the system, which is English. The only way it seems to add a language, is to use the module installer. With V3, you simply added a folder with the files called by the new language name, and hey presto, you had Klingon! ;):D

I tried copying the English language folder, and renaming it to Spanish (es), uploaded it into the correct place, but it seems that can't be done, until the module installer has got hold of it, hence my original question. I simply don't know what step the module installer makes to get an additional language to work.

I'm desperate to try out the translations, unless someone can provide some help on getting a second language installed, seems that we'll all be waiting until the release candidate for language testing, and, well, that's not really beta testing.

I've just tried to make a new language.

Copied the 'en' folder, called it 'me'. Edit config.php, change 'English' to 'Spooky'.

Uploaded it to the Languages folder.

In Admin, it all appears fine. Selected it on the front end, and 'bang' I get references to this path:

Warning: require() [function.require]: Unable to access /var/... /language/languageme/config.php in /var/.../language/en/common.inc.php on line 30

etc etc

What's with '/languageme/' ? why is 'language' in there?

Incidently, anyone tried making a change using the language editor... it goes 'bang' for me with this:

1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's IP Address: {SENDER_IP}";s:22:"reset_password_subject";s:12:"New Password";s:2' at line 1

Guest Brivtech

EXACTLY!

It seems to work in admin, like editing the language content, but the modules installer must do something to get the language to work correctly - I can reproduce exactly what you have there to the letter.

Clear cookies, and delete the additional language, and you'll be able to restore the store to how it was.

EXACTLY!

It seems to work in admin, like editing the language content, but the modules installer must do something to get the language to work correctly - I can reproduce exactly what you have there to the letter.

Clear cookies, and delete the additional language, and you'll be able to restore the store to how it was.

Does your language editor, without the additional language, go bang if you edit one of the files through Admin?

Guest Brivtech

Nope, works fine for me, with or without an additional language. I'm using mySQL 5.0 - Seeing there were other mySQL problems, I'm wondering if this could be a version problem. ;) I was getting other mySQL errors when using 4.0 or older. Didn't bother with any other 4.x versions, went straight to 5.

Nope, works fine for me, with or without an additional language. I'm using mySQL 5.0 - Seeing there were other mySQL problems, I'm wondering if this could be a version problem. ;) I was getting other mySQL errors when using 4.0 or older. Didn't bother with any other 4.x versions, went straight to 5.
How odd. I might try a clean install tomorrow and try to break it again :D

@Rob

SQL error in Language Editor - no versioning issue, one or more unescaped apostrophes in array (single quotation mark) reasons:

1. magic_quotes_gpc is OFF, check your php setting (Server Setting in CC4 ACP)

2. mysQLSafe fn is not involved becasue of serialize php command. Serialize uses apostrophes for own purposes

3. security feature in beta version is off (its code does escape if magic_quotes_gpc is off)

Your issue:

Warning: require() [function.require]: Unable to access /var/... /language/languageme/config.php in /var/.../language/en/common.inc.php on line 30

etc etc

is language selector bug only.

@Brivtech

magic_quotes_gpc on your server is ON apostrophe is escaped => no lang edit issue however by content reading it doesnt unescape which produce something like this \' \\' \\\\' as i red your bug report on product review. 3.0.13-3.0.15 was bugy if sitedoc content had some ' and magic_quotes_gpc is on.

There is NO problem to create new lang folder - new language works without any problem if you use the same folder/file structure without module installer. My point of view about exporter is just edit all parts using lang editor (no original file is affected). Once translated using export with automatic file/folder creation would be cool. ;)