Will the final ver. of 4.0.0 have ioncube or zend?

Guest marline

Guest marline

I'm having a heck of a time to get yahoo to even respond to my emails! And that department that handles web hosting, mysql does not even take phone calls!

Is there any chance that the final ver. will not require zend or ioncube loaders?

Or does half the cubecart users just need to find better web hosting?

I surely do not want to pay for 2 web host, and the last time I moved every thing from one host to another, it was a mess and all my web pages had to be redone!

I'm tired of moving!!

Please Help!!!

Guest EverythingWeb

Yes, you will require EITHER Zend or Ioncube as Devellion have encoded some core parts of the software.

Yahoo Web hosting is notorious for not being all that great - if you're running an online business, I'd suggest in some reasonable hosting that will offer you support.

Guest Brivtech

I tried Yahoo web hosting for a while many years ago - It was terrible to say the least. I'd never go back to it - NEVER! My conclusion was that it was too simply, just for every-day users who wanted to upload photos and blogs. Anything more than that, and there were problems aplenty.

I completely understand your frustation Marline, having to move over and reconfigure everything is an incredible pain, simply to get a site running. Perhaps there are 2 rays of light here for you...

1. Get a better host - For CC4 - You can keep Yahoo with your existing stores. Then, when you upgrade the stores to CC4, the process of transferring them over may not be so painful. It would just involve moving the database over. Any other modifications would have to be re-applied because of the code changes anyway.

2. If you look at www.cubecart.org, there are reliable hosting providers, some of which are even able to help you with moving and installing your stores from your old hosting accout for free.

Unless there are some very detailed instructions on how to install ioncube & zend for all/most configurations I think lots of people may sadly consider going elsewhere :) .

For a complete beginner it seems to be a minefield, I have had lots of people pm'ing me over at CCF.org on how to get V4 working and I believe already some are moving away from CC because of it.

Guest EverythingWeb

General users should NOT have to install Zend!!

This is something that, in my mind, Hosts should have installed on the Servers by default.

IonCube is slightly different in that it can either be loaded at runtime by the users own fileset OR again, the host can install it/compile it into PHP directly.

There's more and more scripts out there which require either Zend or IonCube, and it baffles me why hosts dont install Zend into their servers by default. I can install Zend in about 3-4 minutes from start to end on a server - it isn't all that difficult for hosts to do!!

Guest Brivtech

For a complete beginner it seems to be a minefield, I have had lots of people pm'ing me over at CCF.org on how to get V4 working and I believe already some are moving away from CC because of it.

That would be a pretty daft thing to do, considering that CC4 is justa beta version at the moment.

Guest marline

I don't see why cubecart can't make the best of both worlds, one without zend or ioncube and one with zend and ioncube, just think how your profits would sore! No one would have the excuse not to buy either one of them, face it not every server is up to date on it's products, and there are small mom and pops business that want no fuss web hosting, and do not want to spend a lot of money trying to make a store that maybe will or maybe will not make money on the internet!

You really do not want to move all your hard work if you are not sure how to move your store safely or if you are not sure if you are going to make any money. There are some really small companies out there, and they would be willing to spend 100.00 to 150.00 on a good cart if it means that they do not have to relocate to another server, maybe the best of both worlds is the answer!

Just think!

Maybe Cubecart 4.0 Lite or Maybe Cubecart 4.0 Jr.

I don't see why cubecart can't make the best of both worlds, one without zend or ioncube and one with zend and ioncube, just think how your profits would sore! No one would have the excuse not to buy either one of them, face it not every server is up to date on it's products, and there are small mom and pops business that want no fuss web hosting, and do not want to spend a lot of money trying to make a store that maybe will or maybe will not make money on the internet!

You really do not want to move all your hard work if you are not sure how to move your store safely or if you are not sure if you are going to make any money. There are some really small companies out there, and they would be willing to spend 100.00 to 150.00 on a good cart if it means that they do not have to relocate to another server, maybe the best of both worlds is the answer!

Just think!

Zend and Ioncube are code protection systems.

Guest marline

Just think!

Zend and Ioncube are code protection systems.

For cubecart or for the consumer!

I'm sure for cubecart! :)

We all suffer because of all the theives in the world!!

Yes, we do suffer for all the theives :-( Physical stores factor in a loss due to theft, and DVDs and some CD's are protected to some degree.

CC is run by a UK company - so just by existing has expenses (accountants, insurance, rent etc). For many of us, this isn't a problem, and I'd like to see CC4 doing well (so CC5 will exist...).

Protecting their assets is normal, and luckily, the majority of the code is not protected. Ensuring that only legal copies of CC4 are used is fairer for the genuine users.

Everything Web is right - most servers should have Zend (or IonCube) installed, and in the case of Zend, it should offer a bit more performance for php scripts (so in the hosting companies best interest!)

I think the CC4 docs in this respect are lacking, but we are looking at a beta release - not the full final version.

Ideally, I'd like to see a freely downloadable "CC4 readiness test" script. Hopefully only a few files, which will check if your hosting enviroment will run CC4. This would normally mean Zend/IonCube installed, GD libs, and so on.

Jason

Guest marline

Yes, we do suffer for all the theives :-( Physical stores factor in a loss due to theft, and DVDs and some CD's are protected to some degree.

CC is run by a UK company - so just by existing has expenses (accountants, insurance, rent etc). For many of us, this isn't a problem, and I'd like to see CC4 doing well (so CC5 will exist...).

Protecting their assets is normal, and luckily, the majority of the code is not protected. Ensuring that only legal copies of CC4 are used is fairer for the genuine users.

Everything Web is right - most servers should have Zend (or IonCube) installed, and in the case of Zend, it should offer a bit more performance for php scripts (so in the hosting companies best interest!)

I think the CC4 docs in this respect are lacking, but we are looking at a beta release - not the full final version.

Ideally, I'd like to see a freely downloadable "CC4 readiness test" script. Hopefully only a few files, which will check if your hosting enviroment will run CC4. This would normally mean Zend/IonCube installed, GD libs, and so on.

Jason

The "CC4 readiness test" script sound like it would be a winner. It would save us the time from all the loading and unloading if our web server is not up to par!

Guest bcwh

Good idea for the test, but it will be good if the test was built into the installer, so the installer will stop if zend or ioncube is not installed, mainly for the people thats got no idea on what they are doing. :)

Well done to EverythingWeb and Martin for getting this done.

Hopefully it can be fleshed out, to explain what needs to be done if any stage fails.

For many people who have problems, this will mean contacting their hosting company, however Everything Webs previous post it right, Zend should be installed, and so should GD.

IonCube is simple to install if your host is unable/unwilling to install Zend.

If possible, the script should also check:

-PHP version

-mySQL version

-Any other dependencies

Most of this stuff is in phpinfo(), so checking for it should be pretty simple.

If this is done right, many support questions should be fielded by the script.

Good work!

Jason