include() vs include_once() in Admin section.

bsmither

I've noticed that the code in 3.0.16 has include_once() most everywhere except in almost all the files in the admin folder.

I'm trying to troubleshoot a "Fatal Error: Cannot Redeclare unsetGlobals ..." error immediately after I successfully log in.

So far, if I put a echo"Hello";die(); before line 29 in the login.php, I get the Hello. If I put it after line 29, I get the Fatal Error. So somehow, ini.inc.php is getting called twice - which it is, once through admin/index.php and again through admin/login.php.

My research suggests that PHP 4 doesn't care. And CC3.0.15 with PHP 5.1.4 seems to be working fine (installed on a dev server). But on another dev server (WinXPSP2 with Abyss Web Server X1 v2.4) running CC3.0.16 and PHP 5.2.3, I get these Fatal Errors.

So, examining the code and placing echo/die at places where I want the thing to stop in the admin section, I see lots of include() and very few include_once().

Before I do a global replace of include("../includes/ini.inc.php") with include_once, I would like to know if the programmers had a specific reason to keep the include() construct instead of universally changing it to include_once(). And is there any comment as whether this global replace will even work?

Other research suggest wrapping (something like) IfExists("unsetGlobals") around the function declaration, but that only solves that function - until the next is stumbled upon. Wouldn't using include_once() be the more elegant programming fix?

Now, I realize I have yet to discover the exact reason why I am having this problem: code changes in the PHP engine, Zend optimization, CC 15 vs 16, or the fact that it's July in Colorado -- I don't know.

...a global replace of include("../includes/ini.inc.php") with include_once...

Well, that didn't work. Still got the fatal error.

So I commented out line 29 in login.php and didn't get the error for unsetGlobals. But I did get another Fatal Error: Cannot redeclare detectssl() in /includes/functions.inc.php.

Will keep on experimenting.

Why not put in a support ticket...

Would if I could.

I went ahead and wrapped each function definition block in a if (!function_exists()) test. I don't get any more Fatal Errors..., I don't get anything at all. Just Firefox burning up 15% CPU power waiting for the host to deliver something.

I'm going to see if I can find a PHP 5.1.2 installation package and see if that makes any difference.

CC 3.0.16 works under PHP 5.1.2 while under PHP 5.2.3, it doesn't (according to my experiments).

I still have all the wrappers around the function definition blocks, and I'll test with original files shortly.

Can we get a poll started as to what's the latest version of PHP that CC 3.0.16 successfully runs under?