Will CubeCart 3 still be supported?

Hi Guys

I had a quick question, I'm just starting out on my own and will be setting up an ecommerce site, after lots of research looking at other software like oscommerce, zencart etc I am glad I found CubeCart as it sounds perfect.

My question was I'll probably be investing quite a lot of time in setting up and customizing CubeCart, when version 4 comes out will there still be security updates for people who use version 3.

Also, and this is probably the most crucial thing for me, if I did install and customise version 3 (I'm assuming ver 4 is still quite a while away) would the upgrade path be pretty straight forward or is it a major change.

Thank you for reading, I would appreciate any suggestions! :yeahhh:

Senior TiT - Trotters Independent Traders

I can't answer the q's about security updates.

My *guess* is that if any security vunerbilities come to light, then they will be fixed. Remember that CC3 is used by many stores, and CC4 is not even released - it was only a few months ago that the CC2 forum was dropped - so I'd say Devillion have a good record of supporting older products.

CC4 will allow you to upgrade from CC3. However, this really will only apply to the basic store - so products,customers, orders, site docs etc will come over. 3rd party mods will at best need a reinstall, or most probably an update (and possibly an update fee depending on the author).

Jason

Thanks a lot for the replies, thats answered my questions :yeahhh:

Just one last thing, I was looking for information on customizing CubeCart so it looks fairly unique, I'm not really a web developer but prepared by learning some PHP and dreamweaver training and i'm fairly comfortable now, just need some practise!.

So far I've found this http://www.cubecartforums.org/docs/CubeCar...g-CubeCart.html , are there any more resources you guys would recommend to someone whos modifying CubeCart for the first time?.

Thanks again :^^:

Senior TiT - Trotters Independent Traders