Male opinion?

Guest Classkeeper

Guest Classkeeper

Just doing a new site for a friend whos target audience i primarily women. Ive made ths site reasonably feminine looking, but at the same time dont want men to be put off. Just after a few opinions as to whether people would be put off etc. Thanks.

www.presents4u.co.uk

Not at all. I think your site's looking great.

In my opinion the feminine touch is very appropriate for a man looking to buy a present for a lady...

For what it's worth I wouldn't be put off at all.

Olá Classkeeper...

Would be better a name... or can I call you Classy? :P

Anyway...

Opinions/sugestions:

(Disclaimer: english is not my primary language, so, if I sound imperative, dumb or rude, is not me... just my english, right?) :sourcerer:

1. The background... will be better in another type of pink, purpple or even the blue inside the "Latest Offer" imput text box, but not grey... maybe white, if you dont want more colors. Also you can use an image for the background, with color in degrade.

2. The Popular box... change the font size and the color of the content... or ride of it.

3. Get better icons for the credit cards logos (in the top)... or edit your own ones. The borders are ugly. (Im picky, I know...dont be mad of me)

4. Some images or banners on the homepage would be nice. I always liked the website of Victoria's Secret ( http://www.victoriassecret.com/ )... simple, balanced and pictures with hot models in underwear.

What? you ask for male opinions ;)

The rest is very nice. :D

Take care

Alvaro

There are millions of men and women whose monitors are set for 800 by 600 pixels display.

You are requiring them to scroll from left to right because you changed the width of the Legend default topHeader.jpg to 900 pixels wide.

Whenever you build a web site, assuming you want maximum accessibility, check it out in various browsers AND monitor display resolutions AND (most important of all) other monitors. Just because you have a new flat panel screen that looks terrible at 800 by 600, do not assume that the whole world has that problem. There are millions of CRT monitors in use right now that look great at 800 by 600.

Further, by fattening the height of the banner to 140px (again because you have a hi-res monitor) your banner is now almost 1/4th of the nominally 600 px screen. If you then consider how many users have screens with extra toolbars, that 140 is probably 1/2 of the actual visible height. Only yesterday I was at a client's office and her browser had a Yahoo toolbar, a WebSeeach (spyware) toolbar, the usual IE bar, a links bar and some other toolbar I ignored. Also, icons instead of just text labels. At the bottom of the screen she had her activity bar and some footer that another "helpful" app had added.

Every time some popup offered her a new "wunderbar" she downloaded and installed it. In my experience she is not all that different from your average computer user.

Her actual display was a mail-slot roughly 120 pixels high. Even your banner would not have shown in full.

I had a hell of a time removing all those extra toolbars to give her some breathing room. And most of those bars, like the Google bar, Yahoo bar and WebSearch bar, do nothing that she couldn't do with the standard Firefox display with a search box on the side of the top row.

But that's the real world of what you must design for.

Even on a hi-res display, taking up the most valuable real estate on your site with a 140px banner that sits fat and full at the top of EVERY PAGE will do nothing useful for you. Because it is so repetitious, it becomes invisible anyway after a few pageviews.

Cut the topHeader.jog down to the original default width and cut its height even further to something like 60px high - and it will accomplish the same thing as 900 by 140 while giving you more space to display products.

Moving on to the interior pages, your product photos run about 390pix wide, which is fine. I do the same on the sites I build. But because your store is 3-columns wide, the right hand boxes are hidden to users of an 800 wide display.

However, you can could retain those big fat product photos by changing the default Legend to a 2-column wide layout by moving the three boxes that are now the 3rd column over to the left column, and then expanding the width of the center column to take up the former 3rd column space. If you need help doing that, just ask. It's actually pretty easy to do.

Hope that helps.

Add to that. I agree with the comments re Victoria Secrets. Note that its banner image is only 238 px wide by 38 pix high, thus leaving the bulk of the vertical space for that SALES ENDS JULY 12th selling space. And no left / right scroll at 800 wide resolution.

Also, as soon as I saw the above comments and went to the VicSecret site I realized I'd been so focused on tech issues that I missed an important point.

Color is also a language - and one as powerful as words themselves.

Purple or fuscia, or whatever your monitor renders (based on your settings) - and thanks largely to Oscar Wilde - those colors are effeminate, not feminine. The VS site usesa light pink behind text links and "shocking pink" (also known as Shapparelli Pink) both of which are indisputably feminine colors.

In fact, look at the right side of their nav menu bar and click on the link "Pink." They have a registered trademark and entire line based on Pink. That trademark would not prevent you from using some other shade of the color pink, or something close to it. You just could not offer a product line called "Pink."

But I doubt that a product line called Fuscia would appeal to your target market.

Guest chrisyt

I wont go overboard as you merely asked for a male perspective.

I think the colours are fine, its very pretty and while not feminine it is effeminate. I would increase the height of your latest products in layout.css to unify its display and you definately need to change the colour of the CubeCart copyright to something more visible :)

Other than that a great job :innocent:

Had a quick look and the one thing that caught my eye was the credit card image. The background doesn't match - maybe you could Photoshop it to match the rest of the site?

Hope you find it helpful...