So how much for version 4 ???

Guest KGBelectronics

Guest KGBelectronics

I've searched high and low and can't find a definative answer on the anticipated cost for Version 4.

So far it apears that there will be a license arrangement (of some description) and possibly a limited unlicensed version.

Can we get some straight answers about this in order to advise our clients and arrange marketing for the upcoming release?

No "I think it may be" responses please ... there are plenty of those on the forum already.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering how close the release of version 4 may be, I think this is a completely reasonable request.

I also would like to be able to give a definite answer to some of those I work with regarding the price of the upcoming version.

I agree, we're supposed to be about a month away from release, and it's about time for the financials to be discussed.

I agree as well, since I like to pass on the information. :)

Hello Folks,

I will make an official announcement very soon indeed however we expect it to be around $129.95 as a one time cost per domain. Existing copyright removal keys will work with version four and the price to purchase copyright removal will remain the same.

I'm keen to make the bottom copyright text simply. "Powered by CubeCart".

I believe that is very competitive. In all honesty we have spent far more time think about releasing a product we are really proud of than how much money we can make out of it. This is subject to change but should give you a good idea.

Edit: As some of you may know we were planning to have an annual license but for reasons I can't disclose this is a route we have decided not to follow.

You don't have to purchase copyright removal.

The production costs and time concerning the development of version four is vastly greater then version 3 also. The security audit alone was $10,000 USD.

We believe price is fair and don't forget v3 will remain exactly how it is with ongoing security patches nobody has to upgrade to it or use it. :)

Guest degsey69

You don't have to purchase copyright removal.

The production costs and time concerning the development of version four is vastly greater then version 3 also. The security audit alone was $10,000 USD.

We believe price is fair and don't forget v3 will remain exactly how it is with ongoing security patches nobody has to upgrade to it or use it. :)

In order to compete with cs cart and x cart etc I thought a one off price of $199.00 would be better and a timed out 30 day encoded demo version

Degsey

Guest Brivtech

I'm completely blown away in confusion here Al. :)

I think we can all understand the justification for the new price point, what is confusing is the CC4 license and copyright removal setup.

Trying to look through the logic of this, here's what I can see and understand:

- CC4 is purchased for a one-off of $130 (A license fee) - Subject to the actual price given on the official announcement.

Here's the confusion:

"You don't have to purchase copyright removal."

"you don't have to", in that it's not compulsary, or you don't have to in that it's optional, and if you want to remove the copyright, then you DO have to?

I have one more question (4 actually, but they're grouped together):

- Would you be considering bulk purchase discounts like you offer with the copyright removal fees?

- Would you consider a licensed rebranding option?

- Can licenses be transferred?

- Do we get a period of free technical support thrown in, which can then be renewed on a subscription basis?

So far, I'm happy with the price point, considering that it's a one-off fee, this is more cost effective.

Here's the confusion:

"You don't have to purchase copyright removal."

"you don't have to", in that it's not compulsary, or you don't have to in that it's optional, and if you want to remove the copyright, then you DO have to?

It's optional if you want to keep the "Powered by CubeCart". There are over a million CubeCart stores and far less than 1% are licensed. This proves that most store owners don't mind if it is there or not and it allows us to price CC accordingly to those who do and don't mind. If we didn't have the copyright removal charge our marketing expenses would be much higher and this would have to be reflected in the end product price. Therefore we can sell v4 at a lower price than much of our competition.

I have one more question (4 actually, but they're grouped together):

- Would you be considering bulk purchase discounts like you offer with the copyright removal fees?

Yes but this isn't something we will have right away.

- Would you consider a licensed rebranding option?

No I'm afraid not.

- Can licenses be transferred?

Yes that will be fine.

- Do we get a preiod of free technical support thrown in, which can then be renewed on a subscription basis?

Yes. This hasn't been finalized yet.

So far, I'm happy with the price point, considering that it's a one-off fee, this is more cost effective.

Great. Purchase of our software doesn't go directly into the directors pockets (some does of course). We invest it in CubeCart and we feel this is a positive step to take CubeCart further. I feel our customers would prefer to pay a fair price for a faster moving product backed by a solid dedicated company. We have to increase turnover in order to do that. The more we invest in CubeCart the more likely your store will be profitable too as the buyers experience will only improve.

Nice to have some information about posting and I can understand the thinking behind the separate costs for the software and the copyright removal.

However, I'd like to suggest that the structure of displaying this information to potential customers be more thought out. For example...

CC4... no copyright... $199

CC4... with copyright... $129

Future copyright removal... $89

I know I've applied a $20 discount but it might encourage more to purchase it with copyright removal in the first instance.

Have you thought about offering a discount to those who have existing CC3 licences? Maybe let them purchase CC4 for $99 during the first 3 months of it's launch?

Nice to have some information about posting and I can understand the thinking behind the separate costs for the software and the copyright removal.

However, I'd like to suggest that the structure of displaying this information to potential customers be more thought out. For example...

CC4... no copyright... $199

CC4... with copyright... $129

Future copyright removal... $89

I know I've applied a $20 discount but it might encourage more to purchase it with copyright removal in the first instance.

Have you thought about offering a discount to those who have existing CC3 licences? Maybe let them purchase CC4 for $99 during the first 3 months of it's launch?

I think that would make it very clear and I'll take that into consideration along with a thank you of some kind for our existing loyal customers. Good feedback thanks.

So are we looking at:

One time cost = 129.95 + copyright removal = 89.95 with a grand total = 219.90?

Thats a bit of a jump if this is the case.

I have to admit im very suprised by this. I dont mind paying $129.95 for the product as that makes it still undercut the competition but to then charge an extra copyright removal fee i think is a bit much, mainly because CS-Cart & X-Crap would then be cheaper than CC and they dont expect you to keep a "Powered By" message :(

Just my 2pennies :)

It's been public knowledge for over a year:

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=19808

Pricing Model:

3.0.x will remain completely free to use with no limitations.

3.1.0 will have a reasonably priced annual leasing fee which allows access to support and all future versions or alternatively a higher one time purchase price with limited 3 month access to support. It is likely that 99% of the source code will be available with one file encoded so that it can be bolted to a particular domain/ip address. Those who have already purchased a copyright removal key will be pleased to hear that it will work with 3.1.0 at no extra cost after that version has been purchased.

The release date was a little optimistic however */*

What will really confuse new customers is having 2 separate fees.

I understand wanting to maintain the copyright removal key as a separate thing in order to provide upward compatibility. I also understand wanting to follow through on previous promises.

And further, I understand wanting to have your business name (and link) on as many websites as possibile.

It seems to me that someone with version 3 won't be able to use version 4 without purchasing a license. Unless there's some way of using version 4 without a license and just the copyright removal key. It would seem that if they are purchasing a license anyways, then the one purchase would serve both purposes. At least that's how I would normally see things.

As I write this, I start to realize that what you've done by splitting the full fee into 2 parts is to give people an option to 'test' the new version for $130 (or thereabouts), and once they are satisfied with it and want to remove the copyright notice, then they can take the next step. However, I think that having a 30 day refund period would serve the same purpose and increase overall revenues.

Most of the people I work with have no problem with a "Powered by CubeCart" line at the bottom of the screen, so I expect that few would purchase a copyright removal key. Personally, I would - mostly to create a more professional impression and to tighten security in case any holes are found down the road.

In the past, CubeCart has been free to use except for the copyright removal aspect. Since that's no longer the case (a fee is required for version 4 regardless), I think you'll confuse less people and make more money by having the license fee higher and serve both purposes.

What you can do for those of us who have purchased the copyright removal key in the past is to offer an 'upgrade' price that converts the version 3 copyright removal key into a version 4 license key.

Guest EverythingWeb

I like it.

I like it a lot. :)

I know that if a customer wants a more 'basic' cart, we can sell them CubeCart v3 services, with the option of removing the copyright..

If they want more advance features - and ultimately are willing to pay more for it - we effectively purchase the right to use the software (v4) (with the license) and if we want to remove the copyright, we pay a little extra.

I'm also more comfortable now, knowing that there is long-term profitability, sustainability and longevity being built into Devellion to maintain staff and the support to which we've all become accustomed.

Well done Al! */*

I completely sympathize with the possible confusion this causes. Especially as the copyright key in the past has been referred to as a license key. In hindsight more though should have gone into this from day one. However I never could have comprehended how popular CubeCart would become.

My challenge it to keep everyone happy with the least confusion possible. I will keep a very close eye on this subject and be delighted to reply to any questions you may have. We have been having a lot of discussion already in the office from points raised here and we won't let you down.

I'm pleased there is some information out on this.

I've got no real comment on the pricing level- I make money from my stores, and if CC4 looks likely to increase profits for me, its a fairly simple decision.

The chance to Beta V4 has been very helpful.

I've actually used a PHP directory package that has a similar license - fixed £xx for the software, and then more to remove the link/copyright.

This is also inline with many skin suppliers, many have gone down the route of having a link/copyright back to their site, which can be removed for an additional fee.

We've already seen lots of goodies on V4 (alternate checkouts, firefox toolbar, lightbox etc), and its really encouraging to see new developments (hinted Admin layout changes etc) are planned.

Good work!

Jason

We've already seen lots of goodies on V4 (alternate checkouts, firefox toolbar, lightbox etc), and its really encouraging to see new developments (hinted Admin layout changes etc) are planned.

Hinted? HINTED?! i've fully admitted to it! truth be told i spent all day yesterday working on it, and proably will again today!

and its a hell of a lot more than just layout changes :D

<goad>

Oh Yeah???

Screenshots??

</goad>

All excited now!

'fraid not, at the moments its very bare bones, having been in development for all of 1 day. there's not formatting, and its kicking out errors all over the place. When there's something worth showing off, we'll show it off, don't you worry :D