So how much for version 4 ???

Guest KGBelectronics

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brivtech

Unfortunately, that seems to contradict the existing licensing agreements:

A single license key must be used for each domain and may not be used more than once.

Which suggests that you can use it for multiple installations on subdomains and folders, however, there's an immediate sting in the tail which further clarifies the point of using not more than once:

By agreeing to this license agreement you understand that an individual domain is a single store install

Suggesting, one installation per license, irrespective of the first point that a license can be used per domain., and the clarification continues to confuse:

...by the dictionary definition "A territory over which rule or control is exercised".

By definition, if I own www.mydomain.com, the control I excercise over it covers all folders, and subdomains, which contradicts the previous point of a single store install.

To prevent confusion you may not use a license key to remove copyright on unlimited store installs on one website domain.

Whoever wrote that must have realised that they had just confused everone, so decided to give the clarification needed in a single sentence: a license is per installation. The stuff about domains is really a mute point.

That obviously covers copyright removal, and probably extends to CC4 licenses in principal: What I can conclude that Al actually is suggesting from his last post is that it may be possible to make installations within the same domain, subject to licensing, it would only be one at a time though, otherwise the consecutive stores would lock out - Only one can be registered, otherwise an additional license will be needed.

Our license system checks the IP address and domain it was first installed on. Theoretically you can install it as many times as you want on the same domain.

In my experience, that does not work for subdomains, even if the subdomains are set up as aliases of folders within the main domain.

Leave it with me as nothing has been finalized yet. You know I'm not here to thieve you. :(

I have to make sure the new software license agreement is fitting. Of course we can't allow a company to purchase one software license and sell 3,000 stores for $4k each on sub directories for $130 USD.

To prevent confusion you may not use a license key to remove copyright on unlimited store installs on one website domain.

Whoever wrote that must have realised that they had just confused everone, so decided to give the clarification needed in a single sentence: a license is per installation. The stuff about domains is really a mute point.

That obviously covers copyright removal, and probably extends to CC4 licenses in principal: What I can conclude that Al actually is suggesting from his last post is that it may be possible to make installations within the same domain, subject to licensing, it would only be one at a time though, otherwise the consecutive stores would lock out - Only one can be registered, otherwise an additional license will be needed.

Our license system checks the IP address and domain it was first installed on. Theoretically you can install it as many times as you want on the same domain.

In my experience, that does not work for subdomains, even if the subdomains are set up as aliases of folders within the main domain.

I think the main thing to note here is the use of the word "store" as it applies to the limitation on installs. A mod developer may install multiple instances of a cart for developmental purposes without those installs being considered "stores". i.e.- developmental installs do not try to sell anything.

From what Al mentioned, it seems that a developer could install as many copies as needed to work on several projects at once for a single license fee. And if the developmental work is done on the same domain as their storefront (in subfolders if subdomains won't work), then only one license fee is required for the whole site.

And to address GWizard's scenario, for those developing custom sites for customers, the custom files would be transferred to the end-user, who is then responsible for purchasing a license for their own domain. The original developmental license can then be used to develop a new store for the next customer - just replace the old project with a set of new files.

Does this make sense?

I have been keeping my eye open to see if we been given any clue how much V4 will cost me.

V4 should save me money as i wouldn't need to buy mods for my cubecart as V4 should lot of the third part mods built into V4 cubecart.

Only thing i have noticed that the poeple who make the third party mods have been give beta version of V4.

I think Al has gone for a broad spectrum of users to test V4 to its full potential and get as much unbiased feedback as possilbe.

It probably just looks like the modders got the V4 cos they are most vocal in the forum with regards to CC issues and for bug testing purposes it needs to be tested fully both front end, backend & in the code itself.

If you look at the support tickets raised during the early testing phase there are not too many modders posting in there compared to standard users.

Its all a trick of the mind (waves hands around spookily) :(

Guest hairfreax

It might sound late in the day but the week before release will be dedicated to how we release it the final prices and packages available. For now we have to concentrate on the security audit and PayPal Pro UK integration.

Hopefully you will appreciate that we are more concerned with making a product we are proud of than taking all your money. This thread has given rise to all the issues I need to take into account and I will do all I can to make it suit the majorities requirements as best as possible.

Glad your sorting paypal pro for the UK. If it works, i'll give you money for your system, specially as I have just signed up for googley checkout too. Having paypal pro working will decrease my abandoned carts, and cover the licence fee. I still think I am too cheap to remove the copyright though!

Guest Charles2005

I think in the end it will all work out for the better.

I am using v3 with the Copyright but I have bought "several" mods along

with me creating a few of my own for my store.

With v4 I know I will have to pay to use it which is fine with me as

it will be far better than v3. That is just the cost of doing business.

Sure it would be nice if it was like v3 where you could use it for free with copyright intact

but then again there has been quite a bit of time, money, etc.. put into v4.

Also the licensing structure for developers could also change how it is done later on down the road if

it didn't work out in the beginning. Food for thought.

I think everyone just needs to wait until it is released and there is an official announcement made about it. Yes there have been some very good points brought up in the posts.

Just my 1 1/2cents worth. Al took 1/2 cents to allow me to post this. jk

Guest Charles2005

One option is(sorry if it has already been brought up)

For Developers to lock the license to

www.url.com

that way they can install into folders and should still be able to run CC.

For Customers to lock the license to

www.url.com/shop/

That way customers don't take advantage of it.

Of course Developers would have a pay a little more for this.

Just another option.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LimeTradeSoftware

Have you thought about having a trial version limited to 20 or so items?

It would let everyone try it and run it through its paces, even get stores selling live.

I'm sure after that it would be very hard to switch to anything else if the licence to expand to 300 items was just $25 per year :)

If half of the 1 million users did that you could install that spa in the office.

Regards

Scott

LimeTrade