So how much for version 4 ???

Guest KGBelectronics

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why will there be no rebrandable option? Maybe you can stress a bit here. That would be another segment of income to be generated. Maybe a per server cost. per year cost.

Guest eric47905

You don't have to purchase copyright removal.

The production costs and time concerning the development of version four is vastly greater then version 3 also. The security audit alone was $10,000 USD.

We believe price is fair and don't forget v3 will remain exactly how it is with ongoing security patches nobody has to upgrade to it or use it. :)

Just a quick question for Al, when you say this, does that mean that v3 will still be available for the $90 purchase even after v4 is released?

Sorry to repeat a question if this was answered already, but I skimmed this post and didnt see the answer.

Guest Brivtech

Why will there be no rebrandable option? Maybe you can stress a bit here. That would be another segment of income to be generated. Maybe a per server cost. per year cost.

Yes indeed, and you could also provide this in bulk license batches to ensure a comittment from the seller.

Alternatively, there's no reseller programmes, and the affiliate programme died a death over a year ago. Perhaps both of these should also be revisited before just saying no.

What are the negatives from your point of view?

Eric to answer your question:

CC3 - optional $89.95 copyright removal key (What has been called a license in the past), will still be available and will still be supported by updated when necessary.

CC4 - Software fee (useage license) $129.95, also the same copyright removal key that you would purchase for CC3, at the same cost of $89.95 IF you want to remove the copyright.

So, the choice is yours - use CC3, with less features, or buy CC4 with more - The copyright removal in both cases is the same cost, and it's optional if you want it or not.

Not forgetting also that the price may change slightly on the official announcement being made.

You don't have to purchase copyright removal.

The production costs and time concerning the development of version four is vastly greater then version 3 also. The security audit alone was $10,000 USD.

We believe price is fair and don't forget v3 will remain exactly how it is with ongoing security patches nobody has to upgrade to it or use it. :)

Just a quick question for Al, when you say this, does that mean that v3 will still be available for the $90 purchase even after v4 is released?

Sorry to repeat a question if this was answered already, but I skimmed this post and didnt see the answer.

yes, v3 will still be available to download, and you will still be able to purchase a copyright removal key.

however, should you later wish to upgrade to v4, you will only need to pay for the v4 software licence, as your copyright removal key will still work with v4

Guest hairfreax

I have no problem in paying moolah for cubecart. I have run the thing free for years now, and don't have a problem with keeping the copyright at the footer. Will the copyright in the HTML header remain?

The only reason I have not purchased a license, is that I could never get paypal payments pro (UK) to work, and the thing can be full of bugs. I imagine I will migrate my stores to the new version of oscommerce once that is out and only pay for cube if it does work without a gazillion annoying little bugs.

I do like the simplicity of cubecart, and sympathise that alot of work goes into the system and you need to make money. I would upgrade and buy if the thing would just integrate with paypal payments pro seemlessly. If not, I am going to struggle along free with the oscommerce crowd!

I would like a free 30 days so I could make sure it worked, rather than spending my money on a system that still fails me.

Guest Brenty

I also think a trial period would be a nice idea, and I think it's been briefly discussed before.

Clearly, we now need some official announcement on this part (or unofficial in the mean time).

The only reason I have not purchased a license, is that I could never get paypal payments pro (UK) to work, and the thing can be full of bugs.

I would like a free 30 days so I could make sure it worked, rather than spending my money on a system that still fails me.

We are at the last stages now. The security audit will be complete next week and I am writing the PayPal Pro UK integration using PayFlowPro. It will have capture, order and sale transactions with the ability to capture funds through the cubecart admin control panel, refund payments, void authorizations and reauthorize old ones.

I expect we will have a fully encoded free trial to see if it meets your needs.

Guest KatGirl

Hey Al,

Got a quick question for you...

For designers out there who regularly use CC3 as a base in which to design custom skins, how will paying for V4 affect us?

I would normally install a vanilla version CC3 to build a custom design for a client, then once its been approved and purchased I would uninstall the version and start fresh for any new projects.

Like most designers I do not have one client at a time, but multiple clients and each has their own individual modification requirements.

Given that modifications do occur on a client to client base (I expect V4 to be no different), would we have to pay for each install we use in order to craft our skins to suit V4?

I apologise if this question has been asked before, and possibly elsewhere, but I am interested in how this method will work and ultimately if it will prevent designers from using the software in which to provide a service to CC members.

Kate :(

Guest gwizard

Katgirl has good point here.

I want to join this question from another side...mods.

I work in the similar manner, having 1 store being installed from scratch and developing on that store, then upon completion I reinstall it.

Would I have to purchase several licenses to provide for clean environment ?

Guest Brivtech

Well, Al did mention that he was probably going to provide a trial version, so I guess you could use that, and when the customer goes ahead, get your license validated.

The trial version might work for skin development, but since the trial version would be encoded, I doubt that it would work for mod development.

With skin development, it seems to me that unless you are modding core files, a single installation would work. Especially since a single installation can use multiple skins.

With mod development, I see where you might need to install multiple instances of CubeCart to work with each mod project separately. Maybe Al could create a 'modder's license' that allows for unlimted installs on a single domain.

That would work Alan. If Al issues a key for xyz.com, then you can develop a skin for xyz.com/cust1 and xyz.com/cust2, etc. The subdir wouldn't really effect anything.

:(

I've not got thoughts of them sitting around in the local beer garden, playing cards and playing pass-the-laptop...
hhmmm . . . not likely (I hope) for another reason. Some of have been here long enough to recall a late night game of "pass the laptop" that ended when someone woke up and the laptop was GONE.

I hate to ask this question, but it's Sunday afternoon here in New York and I have meeting in an hourwith a client ready to buy a store (third time's the charm). I've not mentioned CC4. Unless I know it's going to come out over the next 4 / 6 weeks, I won't.

I'm not asking "when will 4 be available?" - just need to know that I'll not be setting myself up for "Why did you sell us the old software?" before the store is published.

Guidance please? Silence or tell him that it's coming at a date-to-be-announced?

What about a developers licence that could cover anyone using CC to develop mods or skins. A marginally higher licence fee for their version (i.e. the one running their store) but with the added benefit of an additional version that allows multiple installs, etc for them to develop and show off mods and skins.

Well there is an option to allow the skin to be changed from the front end so there is no reason why you can't have one store with hundreds of skins. Not all these skins have to work and you can develop more than one at a time that way simply by choosing the one you are currently working on.

This isn't possible for mods I'm afraid. I don't have an answer for that.

Well maybe it's some sort of developers license that is required?

I guess it encourages people to test mods, etc and whilst they pay a bit more for their version they get the added benefit of making money from the mods.

I don't know how it would be done though. It would also encourage those serious about modding to ensure they have a license for their store :(

Guest gwizard

If I would need to buy additional license before I even started selling something I wouldn't be building mods today. Developer versions needs to be free of charge. After all, v4 is a direct result of the modding community ideas and work.

If I would need to buy additional license before I even started selling something I wouldn't be building mods today. Developer versions needs to be free of charge. After all, v4 is a direct result of the modding community ideas and work.

I have to say thats not the case. v4 is a result of feedback we have received from the sales desk and suggestions forum. We are not even familiar with what mods are and are not available. When we have more staff I'll have more time to do such research and then that would be a valid point. I won't deny they have been a influence indirectly.

We won't be giving away free developer licenses.