Linux/Unix hosting?

Guest underworldfence

Guest underworldfence

Is it better to host cubecart in Linux or Unix?

I have Linux webhosting and it looks like I cannot change file permissions in this environment, looks like may be I can change them in Unix hosting.

Im thinking of changing my plan to Unix but scared that Unix may also have somthing to hold me back.

Please help.

Is it better to host cubecart in Linux or Unix?

I have Linux webhosting and it looks like I cannot change file permissions in this environment, looks like may be I can change them in Unix hosting.

Im thinking of changing my plan to Unix but scared that Unix may also have somthing to hold me back.

Please help.

For the purposes of using CC, I don't think there is much difference between them.

I run a few Linux servers and host 8 or 9 CubeCart stores. Never had a problem changing file and folder permissions.

What FTP client are you using to change permissions? Do you have cPanel?

Guest underworldfence

First I tried using FileZilla to change the permissions, it didnt work. Then I tried WS_FTP which didnt work as well. May be im doing something wrong, is this how u change permissions?;

right click on file>properties/file attributes>then change permissions as required

right click on file>properties/file attributes>then change permissions as required
each FTP program does it slightly differently but offhand, that sounds right.

So when you do that, you should see a small window box open up telling you the current permission. You should be able to edit the three or four digits and clcik on some sort of an OK or Submit.

Few FTPs will give back an obvious confirmation that the permission has been changed. You either have to watch a window showing the transaction in progress or reopen the properties to see what it looks like now.

One tool that does confirm if it has gone through is the File Manager in cPanel. That's why I asked if you have cPanel.

Joe

Guest underworldfence

I have the Control Panel but after trying to change permissions I cannot access my files via File Manager in the cPanel.

I just found out that I can change permissions of any file and folder except /pear/HTTP and /pear/tmp.

Also I can access any folder to view its files but I cannot access these 2 folders - HTTP and tmp.

I have the Control Panel but after trying to change permissions I cannot access my files via File Manager in the cPanel.

I just found out that I can change permissions of any file and folder except /pear/HTTP and /pear/tmp.

Also I can access any folder to view its files but I cannot access these 2 folders - HTTP and tmp.

I think we are not getting all details or getting them correctly.

Let's get the basics clarified. You say you are able to change permissions on all other files. Does that mean you able to change permission in the files required by the CubeCart installation steps that are launched when you go to www.yourdomain/install ??

Guest Eddie Sim

I have face the same problem as well. By the time I reached step 4, it shows

Step 4 - Set Back File Permissions

Please make sure the following file permissions are set back correctly:

File / Folder Current Permission Required Permission

includes/global.inc.php n/a n/a

how can I fix it. I am using filezilla and window hosting. Please advice as I am totally new. Will be so much appreciated. Thanks

I have face the same problem as well. By the time I reached step 4, it shows

Step 4 - Set Back File Permissions

Please make sure the following file permissions are set back correctly:

File / Folder Current Permission Required Permission

includes/global.inc.php n/a n/a

how can I fix it. I am using filezilla and window hosting. Please advice as I am totally new. Will be so much appreciated. Thanks

Windows Hosting is a different beast.

You cannot change file/directory permissions using your FTP client.

If you have some kind of control panel, ie Plesk for Windows, you should be able to make directories writable in there.

If you have nothing like that, you'll need to call your hosting company and ask them to change permissons.

If you're only stuck on stage 4, you should be able to manually edit the /includes/config.inc.php to show "installed=1;" and then rename the install directory (so its not found).

If all is ok, delete the install directory.

Unless there is a strong reason for needing Windows hosting (ie MSSQL/ASP/.NET etc), you may want to consider asking your web host to move you to a Linux server.

This isn't Linux-Windows snobbery, its just that for PHP/mySQL applications, you'll have an easier time. (this is from an ex MSSQL/ASP coder)

Jason

Guest underworldfence

Thanks jerseyjoe,

I ended up solving the problem.

Actually the store was already installed,up and running. I was trying to enable Paypal,so I had to change permissions of /pear and folders inside this folder. The problem was with hosting.

Thanks