Critique & Helpful suggestions please

Guest works-in-wood

Guest works-in-wood

Hi all,

My first post here, I've found the forums very helpful so far. Please feel free to view my site, which is extremely basic and uses a slightly cosmetically modified Killer skin.

My store

Basically, I don't have the slightest idea what I'm doing....just muddling along, but finding cubecart quite easy to use....so far !!

Don't savage me please....any useful tips/guidance would be appreciated. There'll only be about 6 or so categories eventually, with no more than 50 products.

Cheers,

Chris

PS: If you're going to check out buying something......Paypal is live - or at least it was when I spent .01GBP of her indoors money last night!

Hi Chris,

Initial impressions - Clean and nice.

Suggestions:

Do something with the PayPal graphic - it been resized, and doesn't really fit. in its current place.

Perhaps get the original and place it at the bottom of your "welcome" text?

If you are only dealing in GBP and the English language, its fairly easy to remove these boxes.

Edit /stylestemplates/global/index.tpl and remove {Language} and{currency} tags. (make a backup first)

There is no indication of size on your product graphics, could you place a steel ruler alongside them? I'm not familiar with what you're selling, so it may be obvious to your customers.

Perhaps consider using larger Thumbnail images, this can be easily changed in the CubeCart Admin.

About Us- how about a picture of the Mill, your description of where you are based makes me want to see it :-)

A few of the free Mods may really help- May I suggest the "Category descriptions mod" as a starter. These and more can be found over at www.cubecartforums.org

Nice job,

Jason

Guest works-in-wood

Thanks jason.........it wouldn't have occurred to me for months that those boxes were redundant.

As for the paypal logo - I tried to get a box on the left bottom for it, but I couldn't manage it.....so I've taken your suggestion up.....great !

As for sizes of the 'blanks' - anybody who wants to be there for buying purposes can see the size ( it's written under the description) and will be OK

The 'About us' piccy's are a good idea too - will get those done tomorrow, if we get some daylight/sun !!

Cheers,

Chris

Olá works-in-wood

The header logo seems to be in a low resolution. Try to export it again with a better quality.

Also, try to associate idea to form (color, design).

- Your idea: Works in wood

- A form: Warm-cousy website

For an idea does exist infinite solutions/answers... so, you will have to choose one.

Of course some are better than others ones.

So, when you said wood, I think in brown or green tones... with some rough textures...

How you can get that kind of customization?

Take a look on this link to learn how to change the layout of your website:

Stylesheets

Good luck

Alvaro

PS: sorry about my english... is not my primary language

Guest works-in-wood

Thanks for your comments Alvaro,

Yes the logo is a bit naff, but it's just a quickly thrown up there thing...it'll be better when the site goes live!

Interesting comments about the colours and textures, I'd deliberately changed the Blues of the killer skin - to go towards my own 'Corporate' colours - Grey & Green.......you thought that wasn't working then?

As for stylesheets......I can't do too much on them, I'm not capable !! It took me all my time just to find and change just the bits I have done.

Thanks for your reply - your English is way better than my Spanish !!

Chris.

Hey Chris

My site is also based on Killer skin...

http://www.bahia-capoeira.com

And you don't need to be an expert to get a nice result.

Me, for example, I began to read about CSS 2 months ago, or less...

The best thing to starting is read about basic concepts of CCS and stylesheets, and then get some CSS files from a nice website and study the content... like when in the school you had to open a frog... (ugly example, I know...)

But, doing this you will learn the mechanical of the process... then, you will be able to make your own changes...

I sugest you also a good image editor. For websites, I'm 100% Fireworks

Look at Google

Take care

Alvaro