Store Navigation

Guest mxcemel

Guest mxcemel

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone investigated the opinions of your customers concerning the navigation of your cubecartsite ?

As storeowners we are familiar with the navigation after a few days but we need to know what the first impression is for anyone shopping the first time

at our store(s)

e.g. the 'n/a' message in the cart for shipping and or tax could be confiusing a lot of potenial buyers

Does anyone else has more info or ideas?

I'm currently coding a 'guide-and-help-me-navigate'mod ( in short :at several pages or anchorpoints a little 'help-icon' will show up with clear instructions what to do next or with additional info) so I need to know any step or point that "could" confuse a customer

thx in advance, looking for a constructive discussion on this

I agree that such guide points, if done thoughtfully, might improve customer experience.

I've considered creating a help page - and have seen one on a CC site only a few hours ago. But I suspect that few people actually use them. Best evidence at hand for that opinion, the great percentage of the same questions asked in these CC forums that are asked over and over again - and are well answered in the free video tutorials that are offered via the "Support" link above.

So, maybe contextual guide points would work. But not easy to do without interfering with the buyer flow. For example, how would you explain the n/a issue without filling up the page with text? Maybe a "?" button and a pop up? Alternatives?

Guest mxcemel

I agree that such guide points, if done thoughtfully, might improve customer experience.

I've considered creating a help page - and have seen one on a CC site only a few hours ago. But I suspect that few people actually use them. Best evidence at hand for that opinion, the great percentage of the same questions asked in these CC forums that are asked over and over again - and are well answered in the free video tutorials that are offered via the "Support" link above.

So, maybe contextual guide points would work. But not easy to do without interfering with the buyer flow. For example, how would you explain the n/a issue without filling up the page with text? Maybe a "?" button and a pop up? Alternatives?

thx for your reply jerseyjoe

My first idea was to create a helppage aswell but if there is a situation where the customer gets stuck , and clicks the helppage, we will transfer him to a new page and that is not what I want ( tough we could provide a linkback using the redir() function )

My idea ( and code I'm writing currently) is more like you suggested : a mini-?-icon that will show a popupwindow ( no alert !)with information. But reading your reply ("interfering with the buyer flow" - "if done thoughtfully") I understand even more, I must not be carefull and be aware to much icons will be annoing. Maybe I could add a small ' help for this page' link , and once clicked the mini-?-icons will show up.

I think you are more on the right track with direct popups. My opinion is that adding an intermediate step would be more annoying. If the buttons were restrained to mini-questions mark images on the order of 10px by 10, they could be visible without being intrusive.

I can't recall where I saw - and used such buttons only a few days ago on a site I'd never visited. If I stop straining my brain to recall, it will come to me when I least expect it. But it was wll done and very helpful in clarifying configuration questions.

I'll post it after it bubble up out of my mental fog.

Interesting posts. I've madly busy at the moment, but I'll try to generate a list of cart abandonment values for each stage. I use Goals with Google Ananlytics to provide this information, but haven't looked at it for a while...

I would actually prefer that if the cart does not know the shipping/tax at that point in the checkout sequence, it should be hidden - N/A is confusing (if you step back from being the store owner)

How about a clearer progress bar (moving the current progress bar up and bit, and having an actual description of what is going on ie :

"Please confirm the basket below, we'll then need to know where to ship it so for delivery and tax calculations"

"Please select your preferred shipping method, we're almost done!"

Obviously, this could be implemented fairly easily.

Jason

Guest mxcemel

thx for you opnion vokf

though this topic is obviously not restricted to the checkout navigation

eg on the tell a friend pages , customer needs to enter a security code , I could add info why this textbox needs to be filled with the code provided ( there are lots of people with less internetexperience then we believe ) and since online shopping is not 'just an interpage' I try to look at my CC store as someone on his first day on the internet