Stupid Question!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Alorwebdesign

Guest Alorwebdesign

Okay, here it is:

My hosting company had some issues last night, and as a result, I have to republish my entire Website. Sounds simple enough, but... I have no idea how to go about doing this! I am only familiar with Frontpage, and publishing files from their software to the domain I am using. I don't know how I ever built a Cubecart Website, but I did! It has been up and working for over a year, but I am afraid of it! LOL. Now that I have to republish the entire site, I don't know what to do! I don't even know where the files in question "live". Do I have to find them and republish each one individually. PLEASE HELP! I am desperate as my client is going to lose his sense of humor if he finds out his Website is down! = (

Thank you in advance!!!

Lainie

Ask the hosting company to sort it out from your or their backups?

If they caused the problem, its fairly reasonable to request they restore from backups - obviously if you don't have backups it sounds very bad news for your client!

If the host is not willing/able, you need to learn FTP. Download "FileZilla".

If time is of the essence, your best bet is to get your web host to sort it out with whatever backups you have.

If there are no backups, you're going to have to rebuild the store from scratch. Prepare for a hostile client..

Jason

Ever heard this phrase? "Backups? I'm far too busy to take backups!".

Not very helpful I know, but it shows the insane paradox with the reality of backups. They should be your priority, I've always been hot with backups with my tech support clients, but I have still recently been burnt by an unfortunately series of events where I assumed my hosting company took regular backups. Never assume, always be sure.

BTW, there is a great documentation project over on cubecartforums.org which might help you.

Guest Alorwebdesign

No, the files have not disappeared! They are still here when I look into the ftp. I just don't know which one (or all) to upload........

Lainie

You lucky lucky man :-)

If you're using cPanel hosting, back-up is easy. Just log in to cPanel and click the backup icon and generate a full backup. This will contain the entire account (files/email/databases/settings etc)

if you're not on cPanel, or plesk, you'll need to ftp the files down, and the export the database using myPHPAdmin.

I hope this help,

Jason

One problem with CPanel backups, sometimes they won't restore properly. At least, they may not restore email accounts, databases, and things like that.

There is a utility in CPanel to backup the databases separately, which is what I do from time to time.

Another rule I generally follow with backups - you can never have too many copies. Just recently I upgraded my desktop from Fedora 6 to Fedora 7, and made 3 copies of my email files. Good thing, because the first 2 didn't save properly and it was the 3rd one that actually worked. (It was on a USB flash drive).

(Off topic, but for anyone using Fedora, 7 had a number of bugs that caused me to revert back to 6. They did say this was an ambitious project, and it shows.)