CC4 Software License Agreement

Al Brookbanks

The link to more information does not work.

Regarding:

Development stores must not publicly accessible through search engines, hyperlinks or advertising. This can either be achieved with the use of password protection or by ensuring no hyperlinks are made to it.

Situation... If a member has a test store with a problem. Can they not ask anyone for help in a forum post? The forum is publically accessible, and search engines will crawl it.

The link to more information does not work.

Regarding:

Development stores must not publicly accessible through search engines, hyperlinks or advertising. This can either be achieved with the use of password protection or by ensuring no hyperlinks are made to it.

Situation... If a member has a test store with a problem. Can they not ask anyone for help in a forum post? The forum is publically accessible, and search engines will crawl it.

The more information link will work when he v4 knowledgebase articles are live.

That is ok. I'd expect 99% of people will just have one live store. I couldn't think of any other way to define how a development store is classified. It would be possible to htauth it and put the user/pass in the support post.

Guest Brivtech

distribute or modify proprietary graphics, HTML, or CSS packaged with the software for use in other software applications or websites without written permission from Devellion Limited

So what happens if you use a standard template, customise parts of it, and then use that entire template also for an overall website design, of which the store forms part of? There are very possibly going to be some graphics, HTML and CSS from the original package that get carried forward.

I have sites where sitedocs simply aren't enough to contain the site's non-e-commerce content, therfore, we've created custom skins that cover the whole site - Forum, e-commerce, main site content, etc.

Does this mean that for every site that we design like this, we have to ask your permission because we use some elements of the original template design?

Guest Brivtech

Okay, so if I'm running a CC store within a website, and happen to use elements of the skin (and therefore part of the code that comes with it) for say a forum, so everything follows the same design style, that's acceptable...

... as this clause is really intended to prevent someone creating an application based on CubeCart, like an alternative cart system.

?

Why the 2 license fees? 1 for the application and one for the copyright removal?

that really doesnt seem fair??? I pay the $129.95 software license I shouldnt have to also pay to have the cubecart powered by and links removed as well I highly doubt you will get many that will pay twice for the same bit of software other companies have tried this and it always fails...

and whether I pass the cost on to my clients or not I wouldnt pass that on because that smacks of paying for it twice

1 license 1 fee make the price fair and let them beat down your down with orders

Yeah. It's quite a strict part of the license agreement that is present in the v3 license too which we have never needed to act on to date.

It is there as people are not allowed to make applications based on our code. A skin is not an application so its ok.

Because we have sold a large amount of copyright removal keys with the promise they will work for every future version. We have no choice.

I can understand exactly what you say. My thoughts on this are...

1. For NEW customers the cost is $180 which includes copyright removal

2. For V3 license holders the cost is $x

i.e. existing customers pay an upgrade fee whilst new customers pay the full package.

This means that for the future going forward, ALL users of V4 are on the same basis - they have bought the license and paid for copyright removal.

This would be make things much easier for yourselves when looking at future releases, etc.

Nice to see devillion acting so fast to provide existing customers a coupon

rock on Brooky rock on

30% off? Wow....

Why the 2 license fees? 1 for the application and one for the copyright removal?

that really doesnt seem fair??? I pay the $129.95 software license I shouldnt have to also pay to have the cubecart powered by and links removed as well I highly doubt you will get many that will pay twice for the same bit of software other companies have tried this and it always fails...

and whether I pass the cost on to my clients or not I wouldnt pass that on because that smacks of paying for it twice

1 license 1 fee make the price fair and let them beat down your down with orders

Yeah. It's quite a strict part of the license agreement that is present in the v3 license too which we have never needed to act on to date.

It is there as people are not allowed to make applications based on our code. A skin is not an application so its ok.

Heres the question Im going to be asked by clients:

"If I already paid to have Powered By cubeCart removed from the title bar of the browser and to have the cubecart and devillion links removed from the footer of the page why do i have to pay again to upgrade when I was under the impression when we bought the key it was good for all future upgrades Cant I just pay the difference for the upgrade version? You know like an Upgrade fee?"

Thats what they will ask...

The promise of "always working" is probably an early mistake, I'm surprised (and pleased) by this.

You can't keep providing free updates for life on a product like this.

Do you offer a lifetime warranty? ie free support and updates? Would you offer to update a modded CC3.0.10 store to the latest one for free?

I don't.

I offer support for 1 year. Next year, I'll still support them, but if they want anything major done, I'll charge them (obviously some goodwill is involved), and I'd prefer to see their store doing well.

In the same way all commercial software is enhanced and released, major revisions require further payment.

Even with the combined License and copyright fee or $189, its not a great deal of money for what you get.

If existing stores are running fine, you don't need to upgrade.

Jason

If you have a copyright removal key for V3 you only need to purchase the software license for V4 which is $130.

The copyright removal key will work forever and a day ;)

I still believe it's far clearer to have a simpler pricing structure than is being proposed. One fee for new customers (which includes software and copyright removal) and an ugrade fee for exisiting V3 customers but that's just my thought. I think it seems much clearer to customers.

From another point of reference. you purchase MS Office 10 and get updates and fixes free.... but Microsoft don't give away Office 11 free just because you have bought the previous version.

CubeCart v3 was free. CubeCart v4 has a purchase price. Nothing un-usual about that, good on them for having such a great product. The copyright removal option is an optional extra for both releases, again nothing unusual about that.

You can tell your customers that they do still have free updates to v3. Version 4 is a different product, much more feature rich... and great the same copyright removal key works! They don't have to upgrade, it's entirely their choice, and their money.... not yours. Why would you not recommend they upgraded? it's their choice after being informed of the benefits to doing so. Great software does not stand still.

Well done Devellion on developing such a great commercial product.

Thanks for your support folks. The fact it will have a cost has been public knowledge since June 2006 ( http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=19808 ) and we have sent newsletters about it too. There should be no surprise.

Infact its cheaper than were were going to make it and we have scrapped the idea of an annual lease.

From what I can tell, the general consensus is that people are happy. Profit from v4 will be invested in more staff and faster development. It is not spent in dodgy bars, champagne and boys toys... (well not much of it).

It is not spent in dodgy bars, champagne and boys toys... (well not much of it).

;)

I for one think $130 is a very reasonable price for V4, the only question on my mind is how easy it will be for me to upgrade from my heavily modded V3 to the new V4.

It's more likely something I would look to do in the future as I still believe modifications will continue to be developed for V3 for sometime to come.

whats going to be really interesting is where all our skilled mod authors take v4 and the new mods they come up with to extend CCv4 even further

Yes and also in what direction V3 takes off. I still believe that mod authors have a lot to offer V3... particularly given how many people use it! ;)

Infact we have already started so considerable new features. Things should start getting a bit more exciting.

I suspect once some of the new stuff starts appearing and people have gotten to grips with V4 a bit more then more V3 users may upgrade their heavily modded V3 stores to V4.

A lot comes down to why change something that isn't broken! ;)