No offence

Guest vp-ftv

I was not picked to be a BETA tester.

Who the hell BETA tested this, straight out of the box, I have found endless errors, that would be encountered on an average store setup.

No offence intended, I just wonder what mix of people were playing around with the store.

Also Brooky get some SEO advice, there is a ton of minor things that are simple code fixes that would make your output code both SE friendly as well as comply with the various legal requirements of usability. I honestly thought we were going to see some massive changes in this version.

Number one has to be fixing the SE Friendly URLs, if you ever change a product or category title, the search engines will deal out duplicate content penalities as the old URL is still valid. To me this is by the biggest and most dangerous bug.

e.g.

http://www.mystore.com/category/product/prod_1.html

can be visited by

http://www.mystore.com/randombs/morerandombs/prod_1.html

even

http://www.mystore.com/prod_1.html

In addition, why do we have messed up URLs for reviews. For many store owners the reviews they receive will be some of theonly unique content they get for their products. It should be a priority to integrate this into the product description (like amazon) so that you can start ranking for additional long tail keyword terms supplied by your hard earned visitors. You can use any number of JavaScript tricks to hid this initially and expand it when required.

Once I finally get my password for Mantis I will be supplying my comprehensive list of bigs already found.

Calm down. The feature of SEO is simple - product page ends with prod_XXX.html XXX is the product id. Product page will be ever accessible regardless to URL content between domain name (shop location) and prod_XXX.html, that the SEO feature.

Category page and the Sitedoc page situation is as the same as product URL using SEO.

SEO feature is known as a mod for CubeCart v3, well it is the same logic, the same code but not at all. Latest cc3 mod has a feature to write the exact URL to a product, cat and sitedoc as far as i know i think it solves what you are complaining on. I think it will be available soon :)

Guest Brivtech

So, the point of this topic was really to just have a moan because you weren't picked as a beta tester then?

Who the hell BETA tested this

Me for one. Suffice to say, I'd like to see you try and develop a package as comprehensive as this from scratch. A lot of work has gone into this, as has a lot of testing.

If you're an expert in these matters, then your input is appreciated, but perhaps with a little less of the attitude. We're all working hard to contribute to making this a great system, as are the developers.

So, the point of this topic was really to just have a moan because you weren't picked as a beta tester then?

Who the hell BETA tested this

Me for one. Suffice to say, I'd like to see you try and develop a package as comprehensive as this from scratch. A lot of work has gone into this, as has a lot of testing.

If you're an expert in these matters, then your input is appreciated, but perhaps with a little less of the attitude. We're all working hard to contribute to making this a great system, as are the developers.

:)

"I'd like to see you create a comprehensive package".... is now invalid.

That was all well and good when we were talking about a FREE script offered to the public. Problem is this is now a COMMERCIAL PACKAGE. I paid £100+ this morning, so I expect adequate answers from the developers only about how they can modify the package to fit the ad copy.

Claiming SEO means you take into account all factors, as is dynamic URIs would do less damage to users. Any change of category or title will cause duplicate content issues. That is a very serious issue.

Regarding me losing some attitude. Text book errors out the box from a package that has been subjected to heavy testing is not what I would expect.

So thank you for your input, but sadly this is not really up for community debate, this is a post specifically for the developers.

Guest Brivtech

Then I suggest you open a support ticket so that your concerns can be properly addressed. This forum is intended as a community support forum, and the developers do not read all posts, nor are obliged to.

That was all well and good when we were talking about a FREE script offered to the public. Problem is this is now a COMMERCIAL PACKAGE. I paid £100+ this morning, so I expect adequate answers from the developers only about how they can modify the package to fit the ad copy.

What? There isn't a free version of CubeCart 4? Ugh!

What? There isn't a free version of CubeCart 4? Ugh!

14 days demo only is for free. Version 3 remains as free of charge.

I'm sorry to say but i agree with vp-ftv... Version 4 is full of bugs and errors. There is no simple upgrade process from v3 with mods.. Yes i think about 80% of cubecart users had mods in v3 so some type of mod upgrade program could have been made available...

I have decided to stick with v3 its more stable and error free and i am able to use the mods i paid for....

Cubecart V4 needs to tested a little bit more.

I agree more bugs have come up than we expected however we will work on them immediately and get a patch level release out. There are indeed things we are surprised were not picked up during Beta testing and they will be resolved promptly.

Many of the best known and respected software companies release a patch very soon after release and it looks like we will be no exception.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused. We won't leave you in the lurch and will work flat out to resolve any issues you have.

As far as choing Beta testers was concerned we did this on two occasions. We could only issue a beta software license key to those who had accounts in our customer database you may not have been in it. To be in it you needed to visit a specific page of our site (you didn't need to be a customer).

I'm sorry you didn't get this opportunity. We have over 200 beta testers over a period of about three months and every bug reported was resolved.

Guest Derek Cook

VP-FTV is sounding out, but perhaps could have toned it down a little. he did say...

No offence intended

But I agree in principal with vp-ftv on the basis that it is a commercial product and people have paid good money for PLUS from reading the posts some people's stores are now NOT working which costs them time, money and probably a lot of worry !!!

[i have pondered on how many millions of unscheduled man-hours the great MS have caused through their bug-ridden releases over the years... in fact they sparked a whole new hacking/anti virus industry !!! ]

I also appreciate the time and effort from Developers and Testers who (unless who are plants from a competitor) have the best interests at heart and WANT to produce a great product - that's a job satisfaction thing. I can see there has been 1000's of hours work done here. I have done this job professionally so know it's a thankless task and I'm sure the Dev Guys will bust a gut to get these fixed.

So to put balance on this (I hope) WELL DONE for the great new features - I'm generally impressed with what you have included for the price but a little more testing would have maybe helped... maybe you'll be looking at your test strategy and how. who you recruit... because post release bugs mean you now have a time pressure to fix quickly for all those early upgrade adopters and it must be a little embarrassing.

Good Luck... it's still a good product (love the CSS/xHTML now)

Thanks for your confidence and support. I'm actually at home right now about to leave for work but our bug reporters did a good job and we are grateful for their time and efforts. I believe about 200 bugs were fixed during beta testing but the exact figure per release is on the whiteboard. :-/

We will be working on this full time and any outstanding issues will be resolved extremely quickly.

Right... I'll see you when I get to the office. Please keep any bug reports coming in.

....... from reading the posts some people's stores are now NOT working which costs them time, money and probably a lot of worry !!!

Anyone who has a business at stake should already know to upgrade a TEST copy of their store first and verify that everything works BEFORE upgrading the live store.

IPN is an issue, and like it was said previously, when it was a free script, it was overlookable. But I paid for this one. And for the most part I am impressed, but IPN still does not work right. And since you removed standard completely theres no fall back. I have 6 businesses. And im fine with my v3 stores. But I really wanted this one because of the canada post module. My business partner is based in canada and he has to do shipping with product options. We were hoping this would resolve this issue. But this module doesnt seem to be working either.

The upgrade wasnt to bad. The only mods i need are included so I cant complain there. I also noticed the use of language files alot more. The code and scripts are alot cleaner in this version. I expected bugs, you can beta test for years and never get them all. Since those of us have already paid, I know we can rest assured that whatever problems arise, the developers will be working hard to resolve them.

Has anyone had any problems with IPN or know of any fixes. Thanks!

Totally unnecessary comment coming from a moderator no less! This is an issue with a program that a customer has paid good money for that has more than just a 'couple of bugs'. It has nothing to do with whether they were a beta tester or not. When you are paying good money for a program, you expect it to work (maybe with a few bugs), but not to the extent that has been mentioned so far. This is a forum for airing those issues and you should be able to air them without people getting defensive.

Maybe the release was rushed a bit and should have undergone more extensive testing. It seems Al has it well in hand now. I think I may wait for 6-12 months for all the bugs to be ironed out.

Guest hennaboy

My personal opinion is that some of these bugs may not have been found until it was released out into the wild anyway.

Most of the bugs raised have been fixed in the bug tracker. Which would mean a maintainance release is imminent. Pretty good work seen as today is the 13th.

Most of the other issues raised are either server related or upgrade related which are probably going to come up time and time again as you would see for any piece of software.

Other points raised are more about the features rather than being an actual bugs which is a different thing entirely.

• 1 year later...