So What Does everyone think of ver 4.0 ?

Since everyone else seems to have opinion, here is mine, I honestly don't see any great improvement over ver 3, most of the upgrades are already available for version 3 and most of use has already payed good money for them. You would have spent your time more wisely on bettering ver 3. I think you’re going to have a hard time getting people to think $129.95 is a good investment. Not with other shopping cart out there that is better looking, more features and cheaper then yours. Sorry sometimes the turth hurts.....

I've not upgraded and at this precise moment in time we don't plan to. Not because it costs $130 but because we've spent a year working with V3 and adding modifications and skinning it so that it does what we want it to do.

I also want to see how others cope with upgrading from heavily modded V3 stores to V4. I have concerns over how additional fields, etc are dealt with and the potential issues.

Not with other shopping cart out there that is better looking, more features and cheaper then yours. Sorry sometimes the turth hurts.....

I guess that depends on what you need out of a cart system. What features would you like in V4 that others have? Surely the look is dependent on the skin you design (unless you are happy to leave it with a pre-packaged one).

as a potential buyer for the new release can you please elaborate a bite more to help others like myself

Your main problems/concerns with the new version.... what's not up to scratch etc...

Comparing to other shopping cart systems why do you think they are better than cube cart...

if this is allowed I would like to here the for and against. My initial thoughts are that cube cart is very good, I am certainly pleased with it however I have only tested version 3 and am deciding if i should buy 4 or stick with 3 or perhaps look elsewhere?

One reason I like cube cart is the ease of customization I can just load up the template files and completely change the look of my store exactly how I want it. I have yet to see a shopping cart system as easy to skin as cc.

Ps: I feel a few people are getting there feathers flustered over the price but I simply don't agree with that argument, how can you honestly suspect to run a decent online site and not be able to cope with a small investment such as the cc initial price its peanuts compared to setting up a high street shop and its only a one off. If you paid a coder to develop a custom cart package for your site it would run into the thousands or make it yourself and spend months of your time.

Guest Brivtech

Works for me, I'm happy with it. I'm faced with a couple of teething troubles before I can buy a batch of licenses, but there's no panic, and I have great confidence that things will be resolved.

Before you lot start complaining about CC4 for whatever reasons you have, it has been stated, and I shall stress it yet another time: No-one is forcing you to upgrade, as CC3 will still run alongside CC4. If you want to try out CC4, there is the 14 day trial. Otherwise, anyone who moans about dishing out money for CC4 and are not happy with it, as far as I'm concerned - TOUGH LUCK! You should never jump into things before making the necessary research to see if it meets your requirements.

On the subject of customisation, CC4 is a dream. It's build slightly differently to CC3, but not differently enough that you can't figure what's going on, there's also the language customisation that can be done through the admin control panel - It's simplicity itself.

There, that's my opinion! :lol: :(

as a potential buyer for the new release can you please elaborate a bite more to help others like myself

Your main problems/concerns with the new version.... what's not up to scratch etc...

Comparing to other shopping cart systems why do you think they are better than cube cart...

if this is allowed I would like to here the for and against. My initial thoughts are that cube cart is very good, I am certainly pleased with it however I have only tested version 3 and am deciding if i should buy 4 or stick with 3 or perhaps look elsewhere?

One reason I like cube cart is the ease of customization I can just load up the template files and completely change the look of my store exactly how I want it. I have yet to see a shopping cart system as easy to skin as cc.

Hard for me to say at the moment and unfair to judge as I'm nowhere near set-up. However there is very little brought to the table that my modded V3 did not already have and as such I'm going to be pushed to fork out the fee after 14 days.

I'll forge ahead, see what the community has, (geniuses you are by the way I can't code for toffee) and make a decision when I've thoroughly tested it.

Guest hennaboy

Im very happy with it... id gotten to a point where my CC3 was so heavily modded that with every new security release or too change/add anything was a major operation. To the point where it felt the code was about to collapse!

As yet I have not upgraded my main store to CC4. Reason why? I have purchased a licence fo it but Im currently battling to get the main mod working with the store. Once that is done then ill be upgrading immediately.

I find the code easy to work with. I found skinning my new store www.belly-bars.co.uk a quick simple procedure and i can see a lot more scope in skins and themes for CC4.

Oh yeah and i nearly forgot....that I recently had a hacking team traced back to Turkey try to get in my CC installation. Didnt get in and gave up. Im more than willing to pay for a secure well written script as my business relys on it.

Well I for one DO think this is a fantastic improvement on Version 3.

Like Hennaboy, On my V3 store I ended up installing so many mods I was getting scared to add security patches in case it fell over. All of which are included in 4..

- Return to basket mod,

- Seo,

- Arrange Site Docs

- Coupons,

- Google Base Fix

- Google Checkout Mod

Also By the time I paid for all of these - I probably spent the cost of the license anyway.. However now I will feel much happier keeping the site updated because I dont have to go through a checklist of mods to upgrade :-)

I have got one of my stores working behind the scenes (and Please note I had no problems other than forgetting to upload via BINARY - which BRIVTECH swiftly resolved for me) and am beta testing my store for a week or two and adding my own additional field before I set it 'live'...

As Brivtech has pointed out you have a CHOICE.

You have the existing stable Cubecart 3 which is FREE works great, has fantastic support and lots of mods availible or you have Version 4 (which like all new software will have small bugs that need ironing out) , is a PAID FOR script but DOES extend the functionality of your store by quite a bit... I've made my choice and I'm happy.

Im more than willing to pay for a secure well written script as my business relys on it.

I second that :(

I think that on face value it is hard to see all the improvements at first so I can understand why people might first think that its not much better. The feature comparison page of our site should show that there are actually a lot of improvements much like Steve has pointed out.

The core architecture is a big improvement and there are subtle changes which will have a big impact as well as major new functionality like SEO, coupons etc. It also has most of the order qualifying components out of the box which we have had requested for a long time now. Unfortunately there have been teething issues and we are right on top of them.

Believe it or not we have already advanced v4 a long way and we are in the process of making the admin side "xtemplated". Our new and old customers running v4 will get free upgrades for life and they will be regular with real functional improvements. The next six months will be interesting.

Please take time experimenting with the trial before purchasing. There are lots of good ecommerce solutions available and finding the right one is an important factor in successful business. If you don't choose CubeCart that's cool. Hopefully you like it though and it is a strong contender though.

I can completely understand why people with heavily modded v3 stores may not want to upgrade and why bother if you are happy with your current shop and it works for you.

I'm confident v4 will be successful once we manage to get over any initial problems. As much as I wish we are perfect we are not but we are determined and committed and we will bend over backwards to look after you.

Thanks to you all for your support and patience. :(

I'm really pleased with v4; slightly buggy and with a number of functions that maybe shouldn't be in the wild just yet but overall, for me, this is the start of a new and exciting journey with this software.

I sell stores to customers who cannot afford Actinic and frankly can't face osCommerce. CCRT4 certainly gives me a lot more to sell, and gives me two versions to pitch to them; shall we call them "4" and "lite".

Given that many pay$500 for page 1 optimization services merely having SEO makes $129 a decent RoI; and a big thanks to Stevie68 for giving me a neat little list of the key features........

Yep, I'm really excited and looking forward to the next few releases as the wrinkles come out of it. :(

Jules

I for one am very impressed, not so much with the initial release but with the way the developers are handling bug reports and criticism quickly and effectively.

I urge everyone to a) keep posting problems to the forum and :( maybe register an account at the bug tracker. The more reports that can be thrown against the wall in this first month the better.

I really believe now with the full community behind it, or least a number of peopel with investments in it (i.e. you just bought it) can take CubeCart to the next level. As brooky says, this next 6 months should be very very exciting.

The advantage here over open source (Zen, OSCom) and closed house projects is the open/commercial model that CubeCart 4 is utilising. The developers are going to be very motivated to create an extremley slick product.

Us early birds may be hurting a bit, but very soon we can achieve a roll out that is exceptional.

So keep them reports coming in... It is very important to diagnose and fix early on.

BTW for everyone who doubted out there, including myself, A LOT of the development time has gone into making exception payment integrations. After all that is one of the most important areas of a cart, if you are having drop outs at checkout, thats money down the pan, and whats worse you will rarely ever know about it.

Guest skydealer

I'm new to CubeCart and I have high hopes that this is what I've been searching for.

I have an online bookshop and will be working with approx 20,000 books. I also use an external inventory program because book dealers often list on several different sites (Amazon, half.com, Alibris, etc.) but I can create a comma delimited file that can be imported/exported. CubeCart seems to have the best method for this feature, so I am really hopeful!

I've tried ZenCart, OSCommerce, X-Cart, LiteCommerce, and some small ones all without success. I'm still running on the 14 day free trial to see if things can be modded... I'm hoping that adding extra fields in the product page will allow me to import the inventory files to display title, author, publisher, copyright date, cook condition, book type, description, etc.

If this works ( and the template isn't too much of a nightmare to mod) then you'll have a customer!

One issue with V4 though... don't know if this is considered a bug or not:

I'm running a squeaky clean install, there's not even any products or categories entered.

Under Store Config / General Settings

The first line of "Global Browser Title":

DO NOT enter anything with an apostrophe.... if you do the site crashes and the only way that I found to get it back is to do a total reload.

I tried entering something like Andy's Page and got the following fatal errors:

Admin area:

Warning: main(/var/www/vhosts/oakchaseway.com/httpdocs/language//config.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/oakchaseway.com/httpdocs/admin/includes/header.inc.php on line 30

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '/var/www/vhosts/oakchaseway.com/httpdocs/language//config.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:.:') in /var/www/vhosts/oakchaseway.com/httpdocs/admin/includes/header.inc.php on line 30

Home Page:

Warning: getLang(/var/www/vhosts/oakchaseway.com/httpdocs/language//admin/admin_common.inc.php) [function.getLang]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/oakchaseway.com/httpdocs/includes/functions.inc.php on line 794

Fatal error: getLang() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/var/www/vhosts/oakchaseway.com/httpdocs/language//admin/admin_common.inc.php' (include_path='.:.:') in /var/www/vhosts/oakchaseway.com/httpdocs/includes/functions.inc.php on line 794

Personally, I like V4.

Yes it has a few niggles with it, but for the first release of a brand new version, I think it rocks.

I think CubeCarts biggest selling point though isn't just the software, it is the developers and these forums.

CubeCart is backed by a development team that is dedicated to the product. They listen to what people say and act upon it....quickly.

As for these forums, what can you say. They must be the most active forums of all the cart software available, and are filled to the rafters with knowledgeable people who are really keen to help others.

I think CubeCart is first class and I will continue to use it and love every minute of it.

Just my opinion

Martin

I became interested because I feared the SEO and Coupon mods to ver 3.x, which are now included.

But:

0. Can the Killer skin be easily adapted? I installed CC4 beside CC3 for comparison, *NOT* as an upgrade, and am just getting started. None of the 3 new skins is fully satisfactory to me, but I might hack the new Classic to resemble Killer.... more work than I want.

1. Product Options: I need to replace pulldown with static display. Can CC4 do this, or must I install one of Estelle's mods that I use on ver 3? (Pull downs are NOT a good way to display basic choices at a glance, and option format should be admin-choice.)

2. Logo Management: seems not to turn logon on/off. That upload seemed to do nothing.

Must dimensions be same for logo upload to work? Sure, I can hack files, but v4 admin is supposed to offer logo control.

3. Catalog Import: (replaces SirBill's mod I use on CC3) "pipe" is one of 4 choices as delimiter. Is that the vertical-bar character, upper case above the enter-key on many PCs?

4. Image & thumb management: now replace some of the key mods I put on ver 3, and allow sub folders FINALLY.

I am updating product descriptions with this change. Is there a good description of the catalog import options? For example, can one include base price with product-option-adders?

After a bit of pain in the uh, installation process, I can honestly say that I am completely stoked on this new version. So many of my needs were met with this update, including things I had forgotten about (like re-sorting docs). I've worked pretty much straight through the last two days and my client's store looks ridiculous. Granted, he only sells one product, but he's already flipping out over how tight the store looks. See for yourself:

http://www.sizeofaman.com

Oh, it's a pretty funny product granted. But it's really easy to buy now. ;)

So in two days I've solved over a month's worth of problems/change requests. Awesome!

Thanks especially to Al who answered my install question this morning within TWO MINUTES. I have never, ever had customer service like this and I have to say you've got a customer for life. I do a lot of site work (both design and development) and with a product like this in my arsenal I can offer my clients more than ever. And to those who think $140 is too much: take a look at the competition. Having worked with "Enterprise Level" software that costs $250k - $500k I have to say that this is an INCREDIBLE bargain. Some of the features of CubeCart are easier and cleaner to work with than some of these so called "Best of Breed" solutions.

I appreciate all the hard work you guys have done. Thanks!

- erik

Under Store Config / General Settings

The first line of "Global Browser Title":

DO NOT enter anything with an apostrophe.... if you do the site crashes and the only way that I found to get it back is to do a total reload.

Well, that sounds like someone forgot to clean/encode the homepage title var ;)

I suggest you open a bug on the matter.

Hi Alon. It's fixed already. ;) We will get a maintenance release out very shortly. The apostrophe one is causing me pain and I can't bear to think of it not patched.

I hope we get a maintenance release out later today or tomorrow. The two core bugs are the quotes one and register block if the country envokes the text box. We have also had issues with Protx and a few other things. The software license system depends on fsockopen and we are recoding that to work with cURL with proxy is necessary as this stops some servers being able to license the store.

Brilliant motivating praise here. Thanks. :)

I also am liking a ton of the new features in v4. Haven't had as much time to play with the trial yet as I would like (you had to go and release it in my pre-Halloween busy season, didn't you?! lol), but so far I do like what I see (other than the product options and lack of mals-e module which I've already mentioned in another post).

I'm not planning to jump immediately into converting all 12 of my stores to cc4 and some I may not upgrade for a long time as some aren't as profitable yet to justify it. As has been said, v3 works well too and I've hacked/modded them to do most of what I want and in fact have several other mods I've been working on myself that were *almost* done when the date for v4 was announced.

From a purely business perspective, I think the things to consider for buying 4 is:

1> Does your current v3 store do EVERYTHING you/your customers want it to do?

2> If not, what is the cost of mods to add those features and are they included in v4?

3> If they are in 4, compare the costs - not just of the mod, but of the time in implementing it and additional costs if you pay someone else to install mods for you. Remember too that security upgrades take longer to implement when you have mods installed, so that is potentially more $ if you pay a coder. And your time is worth something if you do it yourself - not to mention your store being down while you are doing it. I noticed v4 has a mod installer built in so that alone may be worth the price if you want to add more than what v4 has in it already.

4> How much do you want to customize the look of your store. From what I've seen so far, v4 is a LOT easier to skin that v3 was. (and to me the skins included with v4 are UGLY but a good starting point).

So with all things considered, switching to v4 seems a very good option to me. As you can afford it and your stores profit margin allows it. As others have said, look at other cart solutions too, but for v4 having a 1 time fee as opposed to many that are monthly/annual license renewals and all the features it has, I think it will be hard to beat.

I agree with you upto a point. But v4 will all work together and has been developed all together. There is huge room for error adding multiple different modifications from different vendors to v3 and some of them are badly coded and haven't been tested in certain combinations. There are however a lot of good ones. ;)

BTW we need a 100% width skins for v4 thats high on my priority list.

4> How much do you want to customize the look of your store. From what I've seen so far, v4 is a LOT easier to skin that v3 was. (and to me the skins included with v4 are UGLY but a good starting point).
I don't think skinning v4 is any different to skinning v3.

I worked on cc3 for clients in the past. I'm no programmer can follow directions very well. I now have cc4 on my own new site. I like it very much when compared to cc3. :)

I'm still in the 14 day trial. Installation went smoothly and now I'm slowly modifying colors, adding product, etc. I've had no problems so far.

When I had seen that cc4 was only a couple of weeks away from full release, I decided to wait for it rather than start installing cc3. I'm very pleased I waited!

Very Good Job,

Doug

Guest skydealer

Found another apostrophe issue... it also causes errors whenever you use the admin/homepage / site documents editor (what's it called? Something like FckEditor??) All apostrophes need to be removed from any text that one wishes to appear on a page.

It cannot be used in any part of any text! :w00t: